Which Jacket would you buy? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By djpaters

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Which Jacket would you buy?

Hi there! Looking to buy a good synthetic jacket and am stuck between two and need some expert opinions to weigh in.
Here they are
https://arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/mens/atom-lt-hoody

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5045-0...session-Hoodie

All input welcome! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I own the Atom Hoody and I like it. I wouldn't get the MEC item..........inferior workmanship, in my view
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:39 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
I own the Atom Hoody and I like it. I wouldn't get the MEC item..........inferior workmanship, in my view
Second the Atom recommendation, just keep in mind the shell fabric is a bit fragile. I shredded my Atom hoodie in one off-trail bush bash.

Funny how MEC's own brand has gone downhill. They used to make bomber gear, a generation behind in technology perhaps, but affordable. Now...

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:05 AM
Summit Master

IMHO key reason for MEC downhill is cardinal bussiness mistake not to carry variety of competing brands (Arc Teryx, etc) in their stores. Customer knows best where he wants to put his money; if you don't offer that, he will go somewhere else.

I never shop in MEC anymore; Atmosphere and Valhalla are good enough. There is also pretty good megastore called Monods in Banff, and I also really like Helly Hansen (inexpensive shell, excellent quality)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Maybe a third option? I bought the North Face Ventrix jacket and its somewhere in between the Arcteryx and MEC in price (on sale for 40% right now too for $173 CAD) and its definitely on the same level of quality as the Atom. Some cool features are that it has vents for breathability when moving, but completely seal when not. Also, if worried about durability, the Ventrix has panels on the arm with a tougher material that will not rip if using it actively when climbing/bushwhacking, etc. Highly recommend this, and do not get the MEC one, it does not last.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...nId=WGP#hero=0
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I'll check out that North Face one and leave the MEC one in the dust!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I actually rather like the MEC Light Obsession. The new MEC Uplink is also really awesome. A lot of people ragging on it, but I'd be curious how much hands on experience they have with that specific product. My girlfriend had the Light Obsession and really loved it.

It's fairly breathable, decent warmth. Durability is mediocre. Luckily it patches well. I think it's the best value insulation on the market at the moment. The standard Obsession is a bit niche. More breathable, great for hiking in cold temps but the lack of back insulation makes it too cool to hang out in for awhile without a pack on.

Ventrix seems overhyped to me, though I'm biased by all 6 of the TNF pieces I have ever owned being complete and total disappointments. Great marketing, but in practice the jacket just seems to be way to warm when you're moving and not warm enough when you're not.

The Atom LT is an amazing piece and I've had my for years. But as good as it is, it's not worth more than $250. So many brands have copied it well now it's not that special. At the price they are charging you could get a Rab down jacket which are just water resistant and dry faster (that waterproof down is crazy) and is both warmer and lighter.

Last edited by Blue_bird; 11-20-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: edits
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Skiing, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Hiking, Backpacking, Diving

I wear my Atom Lt almost everyday, its a wicked mid layer, although it is a little on the light side (as the name mentions), so I've found myself with using some additional layers as well when using it in anything around 0C. I used to have a MEC puffy from a few years ago, dont think it's sold anymore, but wasn't a real fan. It felt kind of cheap and was pretty deprived of insulation. If you don't want to break the bank there is some nice stuff from last season on the last hunt. Heard of this website from a few people in a mountaineering class. You probably won't get the color you want, but some things are pretty heavily discounted even more so during holidays.

https://www.thelasthunt.com/collecti...20Vests&page=1
russellcoffin likes this.

wot
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpaters View Post
I wear my Atom Lt almost everyday, its a wicked mid layer, although it is a little on the light side (as the name mentions), so I've found myself with using some additional layers as well when using it in anything around 0C. I used to have a MEC puffy from a few years ago, dont think it's sold anymore, but wasn't a real fan. It felt kind of cheap and was pretty deprived of insulation. If you don't want to break the bank there is some nice stuff from last season on the last hunt. Heard of this website from a few people in a mountaineering class. You probably won't get the color you want, but some things are pretty heavily discounted even more so during holidays.

https://www.thelasthunt.com/collecti...20Vests&page=1
Agreed, I shop a lot on the Last Hunt. Its great and get some excellent gear for 50%+ off. Only risk you are taking is that there are no returns, so be sure what you purchase.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page