Meindl Hiking Boots Now Available in Vancouver - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: BC Park Volunteer for the front and backcountry trails in Golden Ears Park. Also love to kayak !!!
Default Meindl Hiking Boots Now Available in Vancouver

AJ Brooks is no longer in business. I just found out that "Alpine Start Outfitters" will be stocking all the Meindl products within a few weeks. They are located at 68 West Broadway Street, Vancouver. Just east of MEC.

The weather isn\'t bad here. It only rained twice last week, the first time for three days and the second time for four days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Great to hear. I was back in town about a month ago and was quite disappointed to hear that the owner had retired.

I just looked up their website for the first time in about 8 years, and holy cow has their product line expanded. I hope quality hasn't suffered as a result, and it looks like they have a lot more boots suited for urban wear than the traditional heavy hiking boots they built themselves on.

Bring back Jim.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:29 AM
Summit Master

Oh, very glad to hear. I will check them out. I haven't been able to find any hiking boots that fit in the last 5 years or so. Last pair of Meindls were a fitting mistake. Toes too close to the end, jammed agonizingly against the end of the boot on the descent. Paid a good sum for them too. But very difficult to shop for boots when he moved his store and then didn't stock anything and had to order them in for you, one at a time. An extremely slow way to shop for boots. I moved on to Hanwag. Unfortunately even the "wide" ones jam against my 4th and 5th toes and going up a size doesn't help, because then it becomes cavernous in the heel. Tried the ones for bunions. OK fit but despite several layers of wax, water came gushing in at the first shallow puddle. Next, I tried some other ones, brand name escapes me right now, that are a GREAT fit in the feet, but now there is a new problem: agonizing pressure on the ankle bones.

I actually don't hike much anymore because I can't find non-painful footwear!! (Boots, light trail shoes, doesn't matter!) If I go somewhere like Garibaldi in summer I can get away with it by bringing Teva sandals for the descent on non-rocky, well groomed sections of trail.

So, excited to see other options for buying Meindls as I did have a pair for 11 years that fit wonderfully and didn't cause me any grief at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

We've all got our favorite boots! It took me a long time to select my current pair which are Scarpas, and I'm not totally sold on them either. My favorite were Dolomite, which I originally bought in the UK. They were light, snug, waterproof. But I don't think you can find them here.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:14 PM
Summit Master

I have similar problems like wilderness seeker. Bunion on my left foot needs to be seen to be believed. Have Scarpas now too and it doesn't actually hurt, but too rigid & good for backpacking only, not scrambling. Tried Hanwags at Monods in Banff once, but didn't fit

At the end Keen wide seem to give me least amount of problems. Will try Meindls if I get a chance, so thanks for this post

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page