• 1 Post By dmitrym
  • 1 Post By guntis
  • 1 Post By russellcoffin
  • 2 Post By Dru

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default winter pants?

I'm getting more and more into snowshoeing and winter camping; I'm curious what ya'll wearing for pants. I'm assuming it's layering just like tops? I've talked to some hunters who swear by wool pants. Is this a viable option? Otherwise I'd love to hear what options there are out there. Base layers over water-resistant something?
alpalmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrym View Post
I'm getting more and more into snowshoeing and winter camping; I'm curious what ya'll wearing for pants. I'm assuming it's layering just like tops? I've talked to some hunters who swear by wool pants. Is this a viable option? Otherwise I'd love to hear what options there are out there. Base layers over water-resistant something?
I'm a wool pant fan, not the super heavy though. I shop the thrift stores for the suit-grade wool, get a slightly bigger size so that I have some room to stretch out. Only pay maybe $5. I'll then add a layer underneath if needed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 03:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

For backcountry skiing, I wear running tights underneath goretex bib pants, whatever the weather. Winter hiking, it depends on conditions, and how active or stationary I'd be, but I do have fleece pants that could be a warm layer if necessary. Wool would be good too.

But yes, layering just like tops.
dmitrym likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpalmer View Post
I'm a wool pant fan, not the super heavy though. I shop the thrift stores for the suit-grade wool, get a slightly bigger size so that I have some room to stretch out. Only pay maybe $5. I'll then add a layer underneath if needed.
Is there anyone selling new wool pants? Cursory search (mec, rei) has proved unsuccessfully.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Gostwear seems to carry merino pants (under hunting apparel), though I have no experience with their product.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:57 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I like synthetics, myself. They dry a lot quicker than wool, I find.

These guys sell good quality wool pants, however:

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/pants.html

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lythe View Post
Gostwear seems to carry merino pants (under hunting apparel), though I have no experience with their product.
From the reviews on FB their track-record with shipping and comminication is quite spotty, not sure about quality of product..

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Last edited by dougz; 02-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The pants I wear during winter is the Eddie Bauer Guide pant. It has a durable DWR finish so you don't get wet, but it is extremely light and breathable. When I hike, my legs stay warm no matter what, but for those chilly mornings or anything lower than -10 I also throw underneath my T3 long johns from MEC.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/me...=111&color=485 (on sale currently)
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5026-606/T3-Long-Johns (also comes in Merino wool if wanted, these are really warm)
dmitrym likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Ultimately you should choose your clothes by the intensity of your expected activities as well as the weather conditions you plan to be out in.

Hunters are moving slowly. Cross-country skiiers are moving really fast. Hunters wear camo and wool. Cross-country skiiers wear stretchy lycra bodysuits.

Wool can be warm but it absorbs water and gets heavy. Lycra bodysuits cut the wind and stretch really well without binding when moving quickly.

Snowshoeing and winter camping are really two different things. If you try to wear exactly the same clothes for both you will either freeze when camping or overheat when moving.

Ideally you'll get something warmer to layer up with when stationary (camping) like some fuzzy long underwear/tights, and a snow-shedding, water-resistant layer (wp/b or softshell) for moving (wear when snowshoeing, or to wear over top of warm layer when stationary).
Archive and russellcoffin like this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I mostly backcountry ski or ice climb. I'll wear basically the same thing for both.

I generally run too hot for hardshells opting instead for softshells, mid to weight((Arc'teryx Psiphon AR). Sometimes if the snow is really wet I'll wear Neoshell half bib pants that work really well. I generally like high waisted bibs. Keeps the wind and snow out. Normally I'll wear a base layer like MEC T2 or merino 200gm/s weather dependent.

I've tried a few other things like Fjallraven Kebs (weird seams, and poor water resistance), Gore-tex Active Pants (Not breathable), but Psiphon and NeoGuide have been my favoured system for a couple years now.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

After going through many pairs of gortex style clothing, I switched over to soccer warm up pants for day hikes. Very light and comfortable, also made for putting over top of shorts with a loose fit. Nothing beats zip-off pants if you're expecting temperature changes during the hike. Imagine stopping, taking off snowshoes, then boots to remove a pant layer...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page