Ursacks versus Bear Canisters - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Quote:
Sorry if my question is dumb: Are these sacks or containers also necessary (or do you use them) when there are food hangig cables or lockers?
Hmm.. I shouldn't think so. I don't, if there are already lockers or premade bear hangs available at the camp sites.

And like I said, if I were to camp somewhere in the alpine where trees are scarce, the arguments in the blog post by A Surka, an experienced guide and long-distance hiker, are pretty compelling, I might well take my odour proof Opsaks into the tent with me.. But haven't had to so far.

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Lots of places on more popular back-country campgrounds now have metal lock boxes. I.e I try now to do 1 trip each year to Robson / Berg Lake and wouldn't even dream taking ursack or container. Problem is when camping wild, specially where trees are scarce. For instance Devon Lakes in Banff NP. Just some boulders, nearest tree couple of kilometers away

I am still tossing whole thing in my head; logic tells me "You need to have both", but besides obvious advantage in terms of size/weight I am not convinced at all in ursack quality. We'll see.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossi View Post
Sorry if my question is dumb: Are these sacks or containers also necessary (or do you use them) when there are food hangig cables or lockers?
I never bring my Ursack if Iím going somewhere with lockers or hangers, just a waterproof stuff sack to keep the rain out when hanging (and any potential food leaks inside)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I am still tossing whole thing in my head; logic tells me "You need to have both", but besides obvious advantage in terms of size/weight I am not convinced at all in ursack quality. We'll see.
Iíve been really happy with the quality of my Allwhite , and they have recently introduced the Allmitey that has an extra layer of Kevlar to keep out rodents (it is heavier and Iíve never had any issues with rodents). Both are certified by the IBGC
zeljkok and Snowshoe_run_crew like this.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Moving in the moutains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossi View Post
Basically: I have found my canister really useful in busy places... not strictly nessecary but Iíve been happy to have it.

Long winded explaination of the above:
When I was on the West Coast Trail in the summer two years ago the lockers were very full and I liked that I could have my stuff outside the locker if I needed to. When there was room in the lockers I liked that people werenít squishing my stuff and that there was pretty much no risk of stuff falling out or a bag getting snagged. The barrel is easy to clean if something sticky from another camperís stuff drips on it and squish proof (I swear I am not actually anti-social). I had a pretty light pack weight and the way I pack my pack for backpacking it feels simple and tidy to use the barrel. Basically I was happy to carry extra pounds for my convienance to keep my stuff feeling clean/organized.

Iíve also loved having it in Garbaldi. It is insane there in the summer. My older sister and I went on a siblings camp trip and we liked having our stuff safe from the mice and frankly, other camperís carelessness (due to inexperience and lack of attention not malice).

Basically the more busy the place and the less experienced I think people might be where I am going the more I want my barrel. The WCT and Garabaldi are two notoriously busy places during peak season... less peak locations at less peak times make lockers or hangs much simpler and enjoyable. Really though you are okay with out it.

I use this one.
https://www.bearvault.com/product-info/
post #21 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

These are all good points, but my primary application is not for busy places -- Garibaldi, WCT, Robson etc ,but remote back-country where few people go. I.e. I'm thinking of backpacking to historic Howse Pass this April when Howse River is still low & you can walk all the way in river flats. Almost guaranteed not to see a soul 4-5 days. Bears aside, this area is also known to be home to pack of wolves.

Here is one interesting scene I stumbled onto hiking Howse Flats mid-April couple of years ago:

[Who / what did this?? lobo thinks bear killed another bear!]

Can't escape feeling canister would simply be safer; but 5 days trip is significant in terms of weight one has to carry & ursack would be better. So there is not clear-cut line that can decidedly say "this is better" or "that is better" I think --
which is why I started thread in the first place, to hear what people think (great feedback btw, thanks!)
alpalmer likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 01-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Bears aside, this area is also known to be home to pack of wolves.
According to FAQ on Ursack website: "Ursack should not be considered wolf or dog resistant. Thatís because canines have sharp teeth and strong jaws."
I suppose you can tie off an Ursack up a tree if there are any around.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page