Non freestanding tents in the Rockies - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History
Default Non freestanding tents in the Rockies

I?m looking into a new 2 person backpacking tent for next season and have focussed on a few models (the MSR Carbon Reflex 2, and Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2). I prefer the two door, two vestibule design of the MSR, but am somewhat hesitant that it?s not freestanding. I know there are times I?ve had trouble staking things down in the Rockies before. Anyone have have experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

We used the Fast Stash for many years until the zipper broke and that was also not freestanding. I really liked that tent.

There are times when you can't get a tent peg into the ground. In those cases, you need to grab a rock or a log. It's not as convenient as a freestanding tent but it never caused me too much grief. Bring a little extra string in case you need to make a longer run.

One issue with the Fast Stash is that is used your hiking poles as the poles so you needed to make it flat each day. If you weren't careful, you could get into trouble in a rainstorm.

I haven't used the Carbon Reflex 2 so I can't speak to how much force the pegs need to hold for that tent. Less is better obviously.

Edit: I should add that when the Fast Stash broke, we replaced it with the BIG AGNES FLY CREEK HV PLATINUM 2 TENT this past summer and we've been happy with that tent and I'm not complaining about never having to worry about pegging it down anymore.

Last edited by Steventy; 10-21-2017 at 07:27 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

No experience with either of those tents but an idea for pegging problems.

I attach a 4'-6' length of paracord to the tieouts.
Long enough to reach better staking ground and/or long enough to tie around rocks and such.

I pretty much have cord on every tieout.
It gives me options (put two together for extra long reach) and extra cordage for other chores because you never need all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I use tarptents for backpacking (less freestanding than your tents) and that has never stopped me from pitching them. I agree with extra cordage, and have used rocks many a time
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

I have never used anything but a non freestanding tent in the Rockies. One still needs to stake a freestanding tent down and my experience is that many non freestanding shelters are much stronger in the wind than freestanding (i.e. pyramid design).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking Kayaking Scuba Diving

Hello. I have basically ignored the whole freestanding / non freestanding argument for decades; as I ALWAYS stake down my tent ! My tent is a Norwegian 'tunnel tent' and is not free standing. I have never had any problem staking it properly in the Canadian Rockies. Mind you, I don't use those tiny little DAC stakes it came with. I use a mix of after-market stakes for all my tents. The four main corners get very long 9 inch Coughlan Y-stakes (the orange ones); while all six of the fly guylines get 8 inch Easton nail pegs (the gold ones). Never had an issue....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page