Looking to replace my non-mesh tent - Are non-mesh tents no longer a thing? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Rock climbing, hiking, trail running, snowshoeing, etc.
Default Looking to replace my non-mesh tent - Are non-mesh tents no longer a thing?

10 years ago I bought [a superior 2007 version of] this tent: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5027-703/Wanderer-2-Tent

Aside from being one of the most spacious "2 person" tents out there (1.63m X 2.30m interior floor space!) it is entirely non-mesh. Both of the doors have the option of unzipping the inner door to expose a mesh door for ventilation. This attribute makes it a great tent for camping out in the desert, or anywhere where there are fine particles that can get blown in under the fly and through the no-see-um mesh. It also makes it a good choice for colder weather camping, and having no mesh traps a bit more heat in, with the trade off being decreased airflow leading to greater challenges in managing condensation.

Unfortunately, the ravages of time, and UV, have been taking a toll on my beloved tent, and soon it will be time to get a new one.

My problem is that I am having quite a bit of trouble finding a suitable replacement!

Does anyone still make a non-mesh tent???

I remember over 5 years ago when MSR briefly had the Hubba Hubba HP, a non-mesh version of the popular Hubba Hubba. Unfortunately, that tent wasn't around in North America for long.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- 2-3 person
- 2 doors, 2 vestibules
- no mesh, but with inner doors that can be unzipped to expose the mesh doors
- ideally under 3.9kg, but that's not necessarily a deal breaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The MSR Access or Remote might be what you want?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Big Sky international Chinook - the windows are small unfortunately
Hilleberg for sure has doubled doors...

It is somehow a European thing. Eureka has a ul or light series in Europe, the tent Sentinel would be perhaps comparable to your old tent, very spacious (but it seemed a bit "wobbly" to me), and they became quite expensive as well. But maybe take a look at their heavier series as well.

Exped the Venus, but it's not that spacious and not free standing. Doors fully doubled.

Oh, Marmot Vapor is probably a reasonable tent.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page