Checklists - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Checklists

After a few unfortunate mishaps that lead to me scrambling to buy another expensive piece of gear because I left one at home, or fashioning make-shift snow goggles out of duct tape, I eventually started a gear checklist a couple years a go. It's gone through a little refinement, and I think it's pretty descent for my purposes.

It's at https://alantrick.ca/mountaineering_checklist and its split into different categories for convenience. I'm curious what others think of it, and if they have their own (I still find things every now and then that I've missed).

P.S. It's not meant to be a 10 essentials, and some of the items are intentionally generic because I didn't want the document to be 40 pages long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I like the simplicity of the list. I've seen some detailed lists and they are too much to digest for the average person. Yours is complete without being bogged down by minutiae. One item I didn't see was an emergency SOS device (PLB, inReach, etc). Phone doesn't work for most of the places we all go.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
After a few unfortunate mishaps that lead to me scrambling to buy another expensive piece of gear because I left one at home, or fashioning make-shift snow goggles out of duct tape, I eventually started a gear checklist a couple years a go. It's gone through a little refinement, and I think it's pretty descent for my purposes.

It's at https://alantrick.ca/mountaineering_checklist and its split into different categories for convenience. I'm curious what others think of it, and if they have their own (I still find things every now and then that I've missed).

P.S. It's not meant to be a 10 essentials, and some of the items are intentionally generic because I didn't want the document to be 40 pages long.
I have a list and it's far more comprehensive than yours. I put it in a Word Document with different categories similar to yours. I then had it laminated(for a dollar) and on the other side I have a backgammon game layout on it. Contrary to what guntis says IF I'm going to make a list it's going to be for the purposes of me checking it(and probably double checking it) as I, like you, don't wish to forget anything. (as an example of detail I have on it: "Hut Reservation papers/Hut code" Imagine if I didn't have that minutiae on there, forgot, and no one was at the hut) Needless to say then, by default everything needs to be on it. I've revised it over the years but it's what works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
One item I didn't see was an emergency SOS device (PLB, inReach, etc).
Ah, yes. I need to put that one on my wishlist first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
I then had it laminated(for a dollar) and on the other side I have a backgammon game layout on it.
Nice idea. There are actually people alive who know how to play backgammon?

Last edited by trick; 08-23-2017 at 04:06 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
Ah, yes. I need to put that one on my wishlist first!

Nice idea. There are actually people alive who know how to play backgammon?
yup and they're dying out quickly
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking, scrambling, bouldering, skiing, running

I have a few versions that I keep in word docs for different seasons/kinds of hikes (summer/winter/ski/overnight) - I attached my "basic" version that I use as a starting point and adjust based on weather/length of trip. I've also been tracking the weight of my gear in an excel spreadsheet which I have found useful - especially for the little items that can add up quickly.

I've been thinking about putting a simple website together to make checklist tracking easier and tie a specific checklist to a specific trip so you can look back and know what you brought and after assess what you actually used/didn't use to improve future trips.

If I get around to building it I'll post it on here if people are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-08-23 18.24.52.png
Views:	38
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	226378  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page