water filtration options - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: skiing, hiking, camping
Default water filtration options

Just got back from Cape Scott. Endured the usual chore of pumping water with my mini-works and the constant cleaning of the filter that seems to result from the water at Nel's bight. I'm seeing a lot of new stuff out there and I would appreciate any input on the latest ideas for clean drinking water on the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, photography, sports, travel

I bought the GravityWorks Platypus system a few months ago. I think it works great. Maybe a bit bulky for solo, but you can filter 4 liters of water in less than 5 minutes and also store another 4 liters if you need to. Super easy to use to. I bought it because most websites I researched ranked it as the best system. Look it up!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking, scrambling, bouldering, skiing, running

The Sawyer Squeeze is fantastic. Saw a bunch of videos on youtube that were very positive before buying. Small, light and fast to filter (~1L/min) and you can use their foldable plastic bags or screw it onto any standard water bottle spout. I got it on amazon a few months ago for < $50 which they still have:

I bring it everywhere now since it's so packable and versatile.

They also have a "mini" version which apparently works just as well however doesn't have the same flow rate as the normal one and requires back-flushing more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Luc
Hittin' the Trails

I have the swayer mini. I use it with a bag to squeeze when out on the trail and with gravity when in camp.
It's great, cheap, small and lightweight. I've been a couple places where I've had to back-flush it about every 6-8L but generally I back-flush it when I get home between trips. It of course will really depend on the water how often it is needed.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

+1 for the Sawyer Squeeze. My only issue is that with limited water flow, or just a trickle of water, filling up the bag can be a challenge. In that case, my pump filter (Catadyn Hiker) has been worth the extra few ounces of weight.

“Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.” - Yvon Chouinard
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking, scrambling, bouldering, skiing, running

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdomansky View Post
My only issue is that with limited water flow, or just a trickle of water, filling up the bag can be a challenge
Yeah I agree the provided bags don't hold their shape super well making it hard to fill. I've switched to using a Platypus or SmartWater water bottle for "dirty" water as I find it easier to fill them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

This makes a big difference for the miniworks if you want a quick cheap solution without changing your system. You'll go a lot longer without the filter getting clogged.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4006-737/Siltstopper

My current system is the hyperflow + steripen. Kills everything. No chemicals. Fast. Light. Plus, there is some redundancy between the two of them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:53 AM
Scaling New Heights

I'll vouch for the gravityworks - we first bought one in 2011 and it was solid for 5+ years on innumerable trips. The 4L is a great option if you are travelling with buddies, but don't try to fill it with cider for Canmore Folk Fest - this is not recommended!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 03:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

+1 for the gravity works. Have had mine for close to 2 years now. Was watching people with the Sawyer filters, and they might be light, but more work. If you have more than 1 person sharing the filter gravity is the way to go. Once you have the gravity works setup you can use the sawyer cartriges, though apparently they don't filter as fast. For supplying 4 people with water the Gravity Works has been great, even with just the 2L bladders (I have quick connect adapters and also fill water bladders)
treord8 likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:46 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I'll place my vote for the 2 L size Gravity Works. The only drawback is trying to fill the bladder from a shallow source of water. In that case, you need a small container to scoop up the water into the bladder.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

I like the Sawyer Squeeze on the trail as it is small and very quick to set up and take apart so not too much time is spent getting water when hiking. At a base camp though I have the gravity works set up and really like it, this system is great when you need a larger amount of water. I would say that the gravity works is easier to fill as the fill bag end opens right up, all depends on the water supply though. Both are great filter systems.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes-1 View Post
Just got back from Cape Scott. Endured the usual chore of pumping water with my mini-works and the constant cleaning of the filter that seems to result from the water at Nel's bight. I'm seeing a lot of new stuff out there and I would appreciate any input on the latest ideas for clean drinking water on the trail.
We have been using the Sawyer Mini squeeze bag filter and it is the best thing ever!!

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

It's quick and easy to use, lightweigh and small to pack. And all you need to do to clean it is backwash it once in a while using a syringe and clean water. Takes like 5 seconds.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

I use the Sawyer Mini hooked up to a Geigerrig bladder. With the Geiggerig, I can pressurize the bladder, sit back and let it do it's thing. I also use a small Katadyn charcoal filter after the Sawyer to filter out any bad tastes and some chemicals. The small charcoal filter works pretty good. We tested it last year by filtering some water that was treated with chlorine tablets and it actually filtered out most of chlorine taste.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:54 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

By the way, how was the trail conditions? I'm leaving for it next week. How was the water situation?... was it really murky with lots of sediment or somewhat clear?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking Kayaking Scuba Diving

I gave up on filters 8 years ago ! I have used an MSR MIOX Purification system for those 8 years and have never had any issue. They are still available on E-Bay. But instead of using the whole ridiculous "dip and fill and shake" cap system, I simply carry a small 50 mL dropper bottle of brine solution. I ditched the entire cap-and-salt assembly and have never looked back ! My mountaineer friend has used the MIOX since it first came out; we both have guided groups of people and provided water for all of them. In a combined 18 years of experience, and scores of people; we have NEVER had anyone get so much as a stomach ache or the trots... No pumping, no clogging, extremely light weight, effortless ! The only caveat is to keep this thing CLEAN ! My brine solution is made from pure rock salt (non-iodized) and I.V. grade saline. At the end of every trip, I rinse the electrode chamber with hot distilled water to keep them clean... 8 years and NO issues....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page