User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dru

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering
Default Packs packs and more packs

I currently have two packs, an Ospray Talon 11 for day hikes and a North Face Terra 50 for multi-day treks. I'm looking to transition to a little more mountaineering in August (specifically Mt Adams in Washington). Is there any reason that the Terra 50 wouldn't be a good pack for that? With the pockets and attachments it seems like it would be decent, but maybe there's something to say, the North Face Cobra 50 that would make it much preferable for such a trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering

So, I took a look at the North Face Cobra 52 pack. For those interested, AFAICT, there are two distinct differences:

1. There's a spot specifically for crampons. Not the end of the world if I have to stick crampons in my pack, but it'll obviously take up room, which is in very short supply in my 50L pack on multi-day excursions.
2. The Cobra has a modular design which allows you to shed some of its 3lb 11oz (L/XL).

There are also spots that are "intuitive ice tool attachments" but really, the Terra 50 also has a bunch of attachments that could do just as well.

Long story short, I may end up going for a larger alpine pack (the store I went to didn't have the 60L version) due to space constraints and niceties of the alpine-specific pack. The only thing holding me back is the additional cost. The Cobra ran an extra $100 or so over the Terra.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

You'd be better off with your crampons on the outside of your pack. First off it's quicker to get at them when you need to put them on, secondly because they don't have the potential to damage other items inside your pack that way.
Demian Brecht likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

I've done a ton of weekend mountaineering trips with an older model north face prophet 45 litre. And I'm usually carrying the bulk of the common gear, tent, rope, rack, etc. My big pack (80 litre) only comes out for week long mountaineering trips or winter when I need more warm gear.

So I think you should be perfectly fine with a 50 litre pack. Mt Adams is a snow hike, you don't need much technical gear for it.

The greatest signature ever, tribute.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page