What is your favorite dehydrated food? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling
Default What is your favorite dehydrated food?

I'd like to know what people's choices are when it comes to dehydrated food. I've tried a few different ones, some of which are not bad and others which almost made me throw up in my mouth. Any suggestions for making your own light weight meals to take on a multi-day backpacking trip?... I'm talking about actual meals, not snacks like trail mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 AM
Summit Master

Interesting. I'd like to hear about that as well.

I tend to dislike these packaged dehydrated meals you buy at MEC, Atmosphere etc. They are 1) overpriced 2) fine for several people, but when you are solo as I am most of the time, it is too big for single serving (and I'm lazy to divide, pack/repack etc).

Here's what usually works better for me: Dehydrated noodles (can get them for <1 dollar). Ultra light. Can easily eat as single meal. I usually carry pack of pepperoni sticks & slice up one inside. Have tea after + granola bar & I'm all set.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 03:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I do not like the store bought dehydrated meals.

Home made bolognese or marinara sauce dehydrated on parchment in the oven reconstitutes well and tastes as good as fresh. Texture is different but taste is great. I do the ground beef and sauce separately but probably not necessary.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 07:15 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backcountry camping, hiking, photography, painting, birding, canoeing, snowshoeing etc..

We prefer Backpackers Pantry meals as they generally have less sodium, and tend to have the best ingredients.We always add things to them like Curry powder, granulated garlic or Parmesan cheese..so even if not the tastiest meal to begin with, it surely is when we're done with it.
We've dehydrated our on meals at one time, but found it to be far more work and effort than it was worth, Alpine Aire meals are also another one we use and enjoy..
Just had Backpackers Pantry Kathmandu Curry and it was a killer meal with some mini flatbreads!
On the self dehydration front, mac and cheese is simple to do, although takes forever but reconstitutes well.. I've always been leary of dehydrating meat..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Hittin' the Trails

http://www.peakstratagem.com/peakeats

Brent in Canmore makes the food. It's really good and would recommend.
61146 likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backcountry camping, hiking, photography, painting, birding, canoeing, snowshoeing etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradorr View Post
http://www.peakstratagem.com/peakeats

Brent in Canmore makes the food. It's really good and would recommend.
Might pick some up while we're in the neighbourhood..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

Backpacker's Pantry Chili Macaroni with Beef. I could eat this all day long.
61146 likes this.

“Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.” - Yvon Chouinard
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Hittin' the Trails

BP PASTA VEGETABLE PARMAGIANA is another delicious meal, especially with extra Parm..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

MaryJanesFarm Shepherd's Meat Pie is my goto backcountry meal. But I'm just looking for something to fill me, not experimenting on taste. Adding a bit of pepper helps.

The greatest signature ever, tribute.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Backpacker's Pantry lentil-bean versions - besides Katmandu Curry Cuban Coconut Black Beans and Rice. Louisiana Red Beans because it's one of the cheapest. Maybe add something if you eat it twice during a trip.

The other I've tried now is AlpineAire - the package is not as big as BP - Lasagna - well, it doesn't look like Lasagna but it surprisingly tasted like Lasagna. There could be more pasta in it perhaps.

Very expensive but somehow impressive (and spicy, Thai Curry) are Good-to-go Meals. Real large pieces of broccoli and other ingredients in it. It's like ordered from a not too bad take-out place. Consequently you are quite thirsty afterwards -
61146 likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Hittin' the Trails

We make our own. Never tried any of the store bought ones. We are typically not out for more than 3 nights at a time so the menu can be pretty similar for dinners. I don't mind repetition when I'm on the trail. Chili is a favourite as well as noodles & pasta sauce. It's not as labour intensive as you may think and we usually do a lot at once and then throw it in the freezer.

If you have questions on the dehydrating process I would be happy to help.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

This is some of what was in the grab and go bag. Clockwise from the top.
Dehydrated potatoes with onion and garlic.
Small star soup noodles (good with a bouillon cube for a 3 minute soup).
Mexican bean soup - Pinto and kidney bean flakes, mex oregano, garlic, onion, menuedo mix, red/green peppers, lime zest, chili powder. (recipe concocted by my 12 year old niece)
Minute rice.
Dried ground beef.

The most satisfying meal is probably mashed potatoes with ground beef, add some sharp chipped cheddar in for last stir. Its kinda like a shepards pie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170710_145115.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	214377  

Vendophobia - Fear of vending machines
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hawks Vittles!

I have been using Hawk's Vittles exclusively For backpacking for a number of years. It is a cottage company and it's main guy is a professional chef who is also a backpacker. The dinners are fabulous, and they are calibrated to have exactly the right amount of nutrients, minerals, and calories needed.
They are so tasty that I really look forward to dinner on the trail! Favorites include cowboy pasta, sweet Italian sausage and pasta, and morrocan curry.
They make both double and single servings. You can look up Hawks Vittles online to order.
Btw, they are also reasonable priced.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I really enjoy Packit Gourmet. There's a bit pricey, but most meals I have tried are delicious.
kellymcdonald78 likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjertsen View Post
I really enjoy Packit Gourmet. There's a bit pricey, but most meals I have tried are delicious.

Their Banana Puddin is OMFG. Love all the condiments that come with their food, feels almost civilized

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page