What is your favorite dehydrated food? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Well, I've been trying many different flavors from different brands and I've found that there are more bad tasting ones than good...I'm a picky eater. I'm really glad that I tested them first otherwise I'd be out on a multi-day trip with terrible tasting food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:02 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Trail mix!

I may or may not be of much help here. Most my multi-day excursions have me above the treeline where I'll push to reach one or more summits. A typical multi-day for me would be, say, 30 to 50 km with 15k to 20k vertical feet of elevation change involving 3 or 4 summits, and over 2 to 3 days.
I would suggest reconsidering the perspective from this thread’s original post on trail mix. I pack organic walnuts, pumpkin seeds, cashews and (iodized) salt. Maybe some raisins and almond bark (milk chocolate with almonds) for flavor. That's it! A few years ago, I found out the hard way about electrolyte imbalance: I lose a lot of salt through perspiration - especially during the summer months - and would experience abnormal cramping at rest. I'm not just talking about sore legs and forearms from scrambling and climbing: I'd get strange cramping all over the place when I was setting up camp, or at rest, or dozing. Or I’d wake up with the arches of my feet cramping. That kind of thing. It was more annoying than unbearable, manageable with a little on-demand stretching. I chalked it up to fatigue, until I started drinking Gatorade. Then the cramping went away. Gone. Entirely. Yet there’s all the refined sugar, the “brominated vegitable oil” and “yellow 5” etc. etc. Gatorade now has products that are marketed as being more “natural” – and maybe they are – but I find myself increasingly cynical as I grow older.

So I did a little digging.

The walnuts and pumpkin seeds are much more energy-dense by weight than even pure table sugar (walnuts alone have over 1.5x the calories by weight than pure table sugar!). The nuts and the iodized salt deal with any electrolyte imbalance. Or at least they certainly have for me. So it should go without saying that if you're concerned about lowering the sodium content in the food you pack then this post is not going to be of any value to you whatsoever.

So I say yay for trail mix. For the last two years or so the only reason I use my stove is to boil water for tea, or to heat snow for water during the winter months or when I’m up over 3500m (or way over 3500m). I’m aware of the concerns about waterborne illness and if I hiked more conventional, below-the-treeline territory I would almost certainly boil more of my water. But I’m not, so I don’t. And I’ve never had a problem with any kind of waterborne illness.

I hope this post is helpful.
treord8 likes this.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Cheesy potatoes (dehydrated whole milk, potato flakes, dehydrated cheese powder + chili flakes and/or pepperoni)

Mocha (starbucks via, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 sugar, 1 whole milk powder)

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Last edited by dougz; 08-21-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Their Banana Puddin is OMFG. Love all the condiments that come with their food, feels almost civilized
Where do you buy it?

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougz View Post

Mocha (starbucks via, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 sugar, 1 whole milk powder)
And a shot of Baileys for a little added kick.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougz View Post
Where do you buy it?

I order it from them directly (https://www.packitgourmet.com/). It can be pricy with shipping and exchange, I find it better to order a bunch of stuff at once than onesies and twoosies
dougz likes this.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

I made the mistake of not trying any dehydrated food out before I did my first re-entry into backpacking trip a couple of years ago. I choose Chinese Food kinda dehydrated packages. Why I'd think dehydrated Chinese would be any good, when it's tough enough to find a good Chinese Food Restaurant, I have no clue. I'm not really a picky eater but I ended up packing out more weight (hydrated food) then I packed in. I now pre-test.

Fortunately I actually like Ichiban Soup and I love mash potatoes and gravy enough that I even like the cheap dehydrated packages. My other for sures are: Mountain House Italian Pepper Steak, Mountain House Mac & Cheese (I usually bring some extra Mac noodles and cook and add in as the MH sauce is pretty darn good but the noodles are so so) and (many of you will be disgusted by this one) Mountain House Bisquits and Gravy. I love Bisquits and Gravy and its big fatty satisfying calories. I've never seen them sold in any stores in Kelowna so I buy them when I'm in the States and stockpile them.

I just bought some AlpineAire Beef Noodles to try out.

I have to constantly eat so I carry nuts with M&Ms mixed in and I like chewy stuff while hiking so brng Welches Fruit Snacks and Cliff Blocks.

If I'm feeling tuckered I'll add a package of Crystal Light or Gastrolyte to my water bottle and it's amazing how it perks me up.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Banned

n/a

Last edited by Eryne; 11-30-2017 at 06:52 PM.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 12:57 PM
vix
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradorr View Post
http://www.peakstratagem.com/peakeats

Brent in Canmore makes the food. It's really good and would recommend.
The new website is www.peakeatsfood.com and online ordering is now in place. All peakeats meals are made to order so customizable for any food allergy or preference. The ingredients are fresh and healthy with no added preservatives or salt. If you can't find what you're looking for in the menu on the website just email [email protected] to create a customized meal.
kellymcdonald78 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page