180s Gloves - an interesting concept - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default 180s Gloves - an interesting concept

These performance gloves from 180 all share a good trick: each comes with a pull-back flap that hides an 'Exhale Port,' a one-way valve that lets you breathe warm air into the gloves to heat your hands without taking them off.

They come in a variety of styles, including these Flurry Mittens.

A warm pair of gloves are lifesavers — I might just have to get a pair.

It looks like each set run about US $40 on the website.

more here: http://www.180s.com/pages/gloves04.asp

NFI - C Wall

----------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 AM

A company called "Level" made snowboarding gloves that had the "air holes" a couple of years ago. I had a pair and they were alright, but as you blow in your warm air you're also blowing in water vapour, which sometimes would turn the glove moist inside. Just something to think about.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 09:57 AM

Yet another good find Vida!

I was reading through 180's website trying to figure out if the valve required one to open the valve first or if the valve actually has no cover to it. It is my assumption that there is no cover other than the flap that lies across it. Which means the valve would be user friendly since you wouldn't have to take off your other glove. Though, I wonder just how secure the flap is, especially if a person was digging in the snow. It would be interesting to know whether or not the flap would resist opening and allow snow into the valve.

D'oh, how silly of me! A thought did just come to mind. The valve is likely created like an airmattress valve where it only allows ones breath to pass through due to the little flap just inside.[B)][8)]

The Patrol, designed for women, looks sweet. Too bad they are $80 US.
If you purchase a pair Vida, let us know what you think of them. I'd also like to know if the wicking capabilities or good enough to deal with a persons moisture from their breath. Though, I suppose that would depend on the individual and just how much they blow into the valve. However, if they are decent enough gloves then one shouldn't really have to blow into them very often, right?

Hmm, it seems all I have accomplished here is thinking out loud and basically answering my own questions through the process. Sorry 'bout that.[:I]

"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower."
~~Albert Camus~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

It'd be simpler to just tape some shake n heats on the back of your hand and put cheap gloves over top than buy expensive gloves with a blowhole, i mean valve, that gets you wet hands. If you've ever experienced a balaclava freezing over your nose and mouth you will know just how wet your breath is.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Summit Master

Very interesting. I use 180s ear warmers for biking in the winter and sometimes snowshoeing.

"My name is Hiker Boy and I approved this message"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Interesting idea

But I dont like the thought of the moisture inside the glove.

Being a person with bad blood circulation a warm pair of gloves is a must for me, I cool down very very quickly - on a recent trip a fellow hiker told me to trade my body in for a new one LOL!!!

I saw a pair of marmot down gloves last year, on the pricey side for me at the time, and I know down sucks when it gets wet, but they sure felt nice in the store. Oh decisions decisions.

certifiably effin' crazy
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

I thought about the moisture issue too - but then again your hands tend to sweat a bit anyhow - or at least mine do. And... it would also depend on how often you're breathing into them. Interesting idea. I like

Who's yer Gnome!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

are they more effective if youre a heavy or hot breather [?]

certifiably effin' crazy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Summit Master

I have a big problem with sweaty hands when I am using my trekking poles. I Have found using a basic breathable liner like the MEC Power Stretch 100 is enough to keep my hands dry and warm when I'm moving and when I stop, throwing a lined shell glove over them. Just like everything in the winter, it's all about layering.

"My name is Hiker Boy and I approved this message"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page