Camp Shoes? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling
Default Camp Shoes?

Just curious what others bring along for camp shoes to change into after a day of hiking. I see a lot of people with Crocs. I used to bring along my trail runners but wanted something a little lighter. I just picked up a pair of Norty Water Shoes which weigh about 4.7oz each for a size 9. They are comfortable and should do the trick. The bottom of the shoes are full of holes to allow water to drain but I'm considering filling them with black spray foam to keep the sand and mud out... haven't decided yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:30 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I have come to be fully on the croc bandwagon. Super light, durable, has both a slide on and off method and a useful heal strap. They are super easy to clean (dunk them in a creek) and you can wear them with or without socks depending on the weather.

However, I would avoid the stupidly expensive name brand and go with the "clogs" sold at Canadian tire. $9 a pair and just as durable. Plus you don't really care if you lose them.

In winter, nothing beats the mec hut booties. Super warm sleeping bags for your feet!

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.

Last edited by SarcasticMarmot; 04-04-2017 at 02:32 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Definitely second the knock-off Crocs. I get mine at the dollar store for $6, and size 13's weigh 288g (10oz?) for the pair (real crocs likely weigh twice that). Mine have lasted several years now. I'd almost get on the ultralight shoe bandwagon, except they cost 15X what mine do, aren't much lighter, and no store near me even carries them. That, and the quick dry, easy on easy off of croc style shoes is hard to beat in camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 AM
Headed for the Mountains

No name Crocs as well. I also wear them with socks for walking logging roads and easy trails during the dry season.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Dawgs 3strap sandals, 190g the pair. For walking around camp and easy river crossings. They are not perfect on uneven ground (with larger stones or going down, a broader strap at the front would be better) but alright for the usual campsite. There's a bunch of other models but I guess these are one of the lightest.

Last edited by Kokanee75; 04-04-2017 at 01:04 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

I wear Cushe Slipper Shoes. Extremely lightweight (unsure of weight exactly in OZ or grams, and can't find anything on the web referencing exact weight) but they are easy to pack, durable, and machine washable.
Not to mention they are Super comfortable. I actually switch from my dollar store crocs to these, what a difference at the end of a long day.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Cushe went bankrupt last year though.

I wear insulated camp booties when it's cold out.

Otherwise I use flip flops or sandals. Crocs are nice and light but also bulky unless you carry them on the outside of your pack. Flip flops pack down to nothing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

No wonder they were getting blown out @ Marks Work Warehouse..I bought 2 pairs for $20. Couldn't go wrong for that price considering they were $59 a pair originally.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticMarmot View Post
I have come to be fully on the croc bandwagon. Super light, durable, has both a slide on and off method and a useful heal strap. They are super easy to clean (dunk them in a creek) and you can wear them with or without socks depending on the weather.

However, I would avoid the stupidly expensive name brand and go with the "clogs" sold at Canadian tire. $9 a pair and just as durable. Plus you don't really care if you lose them.

In winter, nothing beats the mec hut booties. Super warm sleeping bags for your feet!
I resisted the 'crocs' but am now fully on the program, and hut booties too! Agree completely.

Crocs work better than flip-flops for me because I want to wear socks comfortably in my camp shoes.

I find hut booties make a great gift for outdoorsy friends. For many people they fall in that 'luxury' category, where they might not spend the money of themselves but will be really happy to have them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Crocs, all the way.. Great for river crossings, comfy, easy to clean... I plumped for the name brand (stupidly?).

They do have to go outside the back, though..

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Last edited by dougz; 04-04-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Cushe went bankrupt last year though.

I wear insulated camp booties when it's cold out.

Otherwise I use flip flops or sandals. Crocs are nice and light but also bulky unless you carry them on the outside of your pack. Flip flops pack down to nothing.
Have to second this one. I found crocs and the knockoffs too bulky. I just use a pair of very light foamie flip flops; used them on Jasper for an 8 day backpack that were stored in the crampon pocket. Ideal for stream crossings too
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
Have to second this one. I found crocs and the knockoffs too bulky. I just use a pair of very light foamie flip flops; used them on Jasper for an 8 day backpack that were stored in the crampon pocket. Ideal for stream crossings too
I agree. I've found crocs to be too bulky. Same with my trail runners. I tried carrying flip flops but I like to have a secure shoe that won't easily fall off. Here's a few pictures of what I am now going to try. The upper part of the shoe is mesh so they will easily collapse down flat and fit into side pockets on my pack...
Attached Images

post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

I have a pair of Teva's that I always bring for around camp.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I forgot to mention that the sandals I use around camp are the Sanuks. Better traction than flip flops and stay on my foot better too. Easier to wear with socks in the morning.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:45 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I use a pair of light & quick dry trail runner (half size larger) as my camp shoes

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page