What the oldest piece of gear that you still use? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default What the oldest piece of gear that you still use?

I was thinking about this the other day. Some stuff I have bought did not last nearly as long as expected (I'm looking at you Arcteryx pack) while other stuff has lasted way longer than I expected. Last month I went skiing with a 77 yar old gentleman who was still using his nylon pants from the 80s!

So I'm now curious, what's the oldest piece of hiking gear or clothing that you still use?

I'm still pretty young so for me its my 10 year old stove and pot set. I have an MSR Dragonfly and a Terra Nova pot set that have done a marvelous job of lasting through many trips and are still going strong!

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticMarmot View Post
So I'm now curious, what's the oldest piece of hiking gear or clothing that you still use?
A "Made in Canada" cycling jacket which is ~20 years old (from MEC). The velcro at the cuffs is worn out but otherwise in good shape.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:20 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I have a package of sesame seed snaps that have been in my food bag and on every trip I have been on for the past 25 or so years. It's melted into something that looks like amber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

My MSR Pocket Rocket stove. Had it since 1999. Still going strong and won't replace it until it is dead. Been on many many trips.
SarcasticMarmot likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Headed for the Mountains

A power stretch halfzip shirt from Hagloefs bought 1996. I took a small size so it was a bit small from the beginning... because I liked it so much I got two other power stretch shirts after a while and this one stayed at home often / but I started to wear it more frequently again the last years. Shows a bit of wear but it was my first "professional gear" for hiking from the outdoor shop.

Generally it's more about usage. My Hilleberg tent could be from 1999, guess I bought it 2005 used. Still in very good shape but it"s not my main tent - as I thought it would be when I bought it. So it is lying around too much and I should sell it but somehow - following versions of this tent got a worse zipper. And – the Logo which is the old leather version, not the ugly new striking red one. Funny reasons to keep an expensive tent.
Okay, and whenever I take it I realize how "bombproof" it is compared to the lighter ones that are fine for most trips. So it is the tent for Iceland even though the other one I have at the moment could be fine as well (the second tent is replaced sometimes depending on plans or if a new one shows up I like more / awful bunch of choices nowadays). And I know some people survive with a ul tarp.

Last edited by Kokanee75; 03-29-2017 at 04:36 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

My sleeping bag definitely claims that title. My dad bought us all one in '95, and they spent plenty a night up north out in crown land. Now I only take it car camping, as the thing is massive (size of a garbage bag when rolled up) but I love it. Partly because it's plaid, partly because it's super warm, and partly for nostalgia.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticMarmot View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. Some stuff I have bought did not last nearly as long as expected (I'm looking at you Arcteryx pack) while other stuff has lasted way longer than I expected. Last month I went skiing with a 77 yar old gentleman who was still using his nylon pants from the 80s!

I'm still pretty young so for me its my 10 year old stove and pot set. I have an MSR Dragonfly and a Terra Nova pot set that have done a marvelous job of lasting through many trips and are still going strong!
I have a shoulder canvas 2 strap bag if u will that I found at the local dump in Beverly/Edmonton(yes, I used to play at the dump) when I was about 9 yrs old. I've used it for flyfishing ever since! That makes it 51years old plus however long it's original owner owned it and however long it was at the dump.

True story
SarcasticMarmot and VSDM like this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Summit Master

my own too feet. Left with bunion size of walnut and right with first sign of big toe osteoarthritis. Still work though
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by prother View Post
I have a package of sesame seed snaps that have been in my food bag and on every trip I have been on for the past 25 or so years. It's melted into something that looks like amber.
I kinda want to see a picture of that...
VSDM likes this.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

A Silva compass, given to me by my employer Macmillan Bloedel in 1980 when I was a forester's assistant at the Chemainus woodland division. Still works and the declination adjustment screw never seized up. Hundreds and hundreds of km of wilderness seen through its sight. One use of its mirror to reflect off a helicopter search light for rescue in a howling storm near prince rupert and a permanent blood stain (now quite brown) from an axe injury.

I will never part with it

Name:  20170329_175101.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  41.4 KB

post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Rain pants, 21.5 years old (non-breathable) that I have used for cycling and snow and anything else. Starting to get holes at ankles.
MEC 90L backpack, 21.5 years old, still used for traveling, or for getting into shape training walks.
US military poncho liner, 20 years old, great camping blanket
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I still have and sometimes use in the mountains some of the hand-tied cord hexes I bought in 1991
I left the others of the set as rap anchors over the years.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:04 PM
CL
Scaling New Heights

1/2 Shank Scarpa Boots 31 years old resoled (5) times relined twice. Still my go to boots for spring snow travel.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Everything I've got is old... But the oldest are my crampons, Salewa, circa 1973. The fit every boot I had, from the Galibier SuperGuides to my current Meindls.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

My Garmin GSP Map 60 CSx.. And I just replaced my trusty Alpine Lowe FTX Horizon 65 with an Arc'teryx Altra 65. Oh, and my Gerber Big Rock fixed blade that I always bring and hardly use. MEC Camper 2 tent..

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page