expanding cooking system - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default expanding cooking system

Normally backpacking I hike with my partner, and sometimes our 2 kids. This summer I am dragging along 2 additional kids for a week long trip to Cape Scott (4 kids total, ages 10-13), and looking to expand my cooking gear to accompany them all.

Personal dishes are covered, I'll just give each of them a 'cheap' stainless bowl (easy to find at thrift stores, I have a couple) and sporks all around. Where I am running into trouble is the actual cooking part. Right now I have my own 600mL pot with lid/pan, and a 1.6L pot for when I have company. Everything (pots cups utensils) is titanium, makes for easy maintenance as many hikes are by the ocean, and sand scrubbing doesn't mix with non-stick coatings. What I'm looking for is ideas for upgrading this system for 6 people without spending a fortune. Even a 'light' stainless pot, 2-3L, would work, I just ran out of ideas where to find one without spending a ton (cheapest titanium 2L is $50US)

Thoughts?

Likely meals I'd be doing are self dehydrated Chili, Pasta, Shepherd's pie, Curried rice etc (and pizza, but don't need another pot for that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:35 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

I know this isn't an answer for what you are asking but here's another option...
I have both a MSR Dragonfly and a Windburner. What I've found is that although I can heat up really large pots on my Dragonfly, it takes WAY longer than my Windburner. Even comparing the time it takes to heat the same amount of water on each, the Windburner wins every time. This being said, instead of heating up one large pot of water for everyone's meals, you could use something like a Windburner and probably heat up 3 or 4 smaller pots in the same amount of time it would take to do one large pot on the Dragonfly. We timed it last summer and it was just a few minutes to get full pot to boiling. By using something like a Windburner, you can reduce your pack size and weight (by not having to carry large pots) and just simply heat up 3 or 4 separate pots of water.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

While that might work if we all had store bought backpacking meals, I don't see 1 stove heating 6 individual meals when there is more than just boiling water involved. Pasta and chili do take some simmer time, and I do my share of (not so instant) soups. The other advantage of beach camping is we often do stick pots at the side of a campfire and simmer that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Anodized aluminum pots always work for us - and aren't that much heavier, my solo pot is as light as a titanium one - Open Country. They do have two large kettles - it always says non-stick but my little pot looks like just anodized, there is no visible coating I would call non-stick. But perhaps the larger ones are different, the small one isn't available anymore.

GSI Halulite? It's not absolutely lite but larger sizes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page