Sleeping Bag Recommendation - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By alpalmer
  • 1 Post By ChubbyTuna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling
Default Sleeping Bag Recommendation

I'm in the market for a new sleeping bag and would like to hear what others are using and their likes/dislikes. I currently have a NF Cat's Meow (20F) and have been using it for a few years now. I'm looking for something that is a little warmer, maybe as low as a 0F...I'd rather be hot and able to unzip the bag than end up cold. I have always gone with synthetic bags because we usually get hit with a lot of rain. I'm now considering a down bag but it would have to be one with a treated/water resistant shell. I hear the treated down is more of a gimmick and really doesn't make much of a difference. Although the Western Mountaineering bags with the Gore Windstopper look nice, they're way more than I want to spend. I'm hoping to keep it under $400.00 and weight plays a major factor. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

If you're really looking to go to -18C then you have no choice but to go with a down bag as that's what has the most insulation to weight value, and you did mention wanting to keep the weight down. The bad news is you can't do that for less than $400. Regardless of your temperature demands, personally, I would never settle for a synthetic bag. I have the Rab Neutrino Endurance 400 and absolutely love it. Yes it's got the Puretex treated down and in my view it's not a gimmick.

see:
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:00 AM
High on the Mountain Top

What about thoughts on the waterproof breathable shells vs not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
What about thoughts on the waterproof breathable shells vs not?
I've heard good things about the Western Mountaineering Gore WS bags. They're just damn expensive!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 AM
Headed for the Mountains

A popular brand in Europe (for people who think they are kind of experts) is cumulus.pl – I don’t know whether they send to North America and what about customs. I think they are quite similar to WM or – even better because of their sewing technique for distribution of the down in different models. WM uses down from Poland…
You can modify your bag, more down, hydro down, water resistant outer shell or only top and bottom etc. Guess a Mysterious Traveller 700 could do the trick -

I think you should stick around 20F, synthetic bags are often even more optimistic with the temperature ratings so I would doubt the North Face could handle -7 degrees. Regarding ratings I would say WM is quite optimistic.
Waterproof outer shell also means it’s harder to pack and your sweat can’t diffuse very good, resulting in dampness. If you put your bag into a waterproof stuff sac it should be alright for the usual trips. We did the West Coast Trail with down bags – I felt it can be quite damp, it didn’t rain much, but for this week we would have survived with the down bags as well if it had rained all the time.

In general I don’t like Pertex fabric that much in comparison (it’s not really bad, just a bit more of a plastic feeling compared to other nylons). There’s Spirit West in Calgary, I don’t understand exactly how heavy their bags are - 900 g down for -9 seems a quite conservative rating to me or is the bag's total weight 900 g which would make the rating optimistic - but that’s perhaps an option.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Have you considered Quilts? They are certainly the "rave" with thru hikers for a balance of weight, stuffability, and warmth effectiveness. I'm looking at the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20. They also have versions that have increased warmth rating. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/
lemike likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpalmer View Post
Have you considered Quilts? They are certainly the "rave" with thru hikers for a balance of weight, stuffability, and warmth effectiveness. I'm looking at the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20. They also have versions that have increased warmth rating. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/
I tried one a few years ago. Didn't like it. Maybe just because I'm used to my sleeping bag. I found that I was wrapping the quilt around me like a sleeping bag anyway to keep myself warm from the pad. I might consider trying it again but probably on summer only trips.
alpalmer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page