Driving a Subaru Crosstrek or Suzuki Sx4? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

[QUOTE=Toaster;768914]
-Xterra...Real burly 4x4 with real burly gas mileage. I think of it as a cheaper 4-Runner that's both thirstier and generally not as good in any way but you pay a lot less initially.As someone I know put it,"it eats fuel for breakfast,lunch and dinner, and when it sleeps,it dreams of eating fuel" .
QUOTE]

Yup, it definitely doesn't sip the fuel (even worse if you put a trailer on it). Thankfully I have a short commute during the week so it's only weekend adventures that put the kms (and liters) on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
-Toyota Rav 4...I think the 1st generation,especially the 2 door, has the better ground clearance and short overhangs of this bunch. The second generation is also reasonable, and generally it went downhill from there.
Correct. The early Toyota rav4 (1999) had about 7.3 inches of ground clearance. What I currently drive (2008 rav4) has 7.5 inches while the current models only have 6.3 inches.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
Correct. The early Toyota rav4 (1999) had about 7.3 inches of ground clearance. What I currently drive (2008 rav4) has 7.5 inches while the current models only have 6.3 inches.
The 2016 Jeep Patriot sits stock with the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's at 9.1" of ground clearance. With a slightly larger tire size (225/65/17), adds 0.5" bringing my Jeep up to 9.6" ground clearance.
I know for a fact (Jeep Patriot Canada facebook forum) that you can put 235/65/17 tires without any modifications, no rub even on full lock, adding an extra inch from stock height to 10.1".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Happy Happy with my 2nd gen (2003)rav4. It's definitely no 4runner but handles waterbars easily and is extremely reliable (300,000km). Of course I'm biased but I think the main thing needed for most FSRs is a bit of clearance and awd/4wd just makes life much easier.
pdomansky likes this.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I used to have a ChevyTracker(Suzuki Vitara) it was excellent for offroad especially with the Calmini Lift. I was at 460,000km before I traded it in for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the worst vehicle I have ever owned, it is a Lemon and is expensive to service and repair. I now have a Suzuki SX4, which is good, but not good enough for trail approaches on forestry roads. I have no problems getting it serviced. I have looked at getting a Grand Vitara from Mexico where Suzuki is still sold.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 09:33 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

I bought an older 4Runner, 2002 and I find it great for get out hiking and exploring in. Lots of room, much smaller than the new ones. 5 seater with cargo space. Very capable vehicle with the multi mode transmission (AWD & 4WD)

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page