Rollup Collapsable Water bottles food safe? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dru

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Rollup Collapsable Water bottles food safe?

Does anyone have any reviews on these types of bottles?

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-358/Plusbottle

I've found a generic one, and I'm finding it extremely difficult to keep clean and taste free from soap even though I've rinsed it like crazy.

Are these like water bottles where cheap ones impart a ton of plastic taste where as the expensive ones are inert and don't impart any flavours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I had something similar and it eventually leaked at the seam. The narrow opening makes it hard to dry. Since I used mine for carrying clean water there was no need to use soap to clean afterwards. Just a good rinse after use was all I've done. If you want to disinfect the inside, just add 2 drops of non-perfumed bleach per 1 L of water then rinse well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I get a chemical taste from my MSR bag and all camelbak bladders I've had. I seriously would recommend not keeping water in them for weeks before supplying small children with it as sole source for years, there are chemicals that leach out for sure. I can't imagine it's noticeably bad for you with occasional use of fresh water a few hours in the bag, but I find it unpleasant.

Some likely better than others, not sure if price point has much to do with it. Clever marketers can sell god-awful crap to enough "never again" customers to turn a nice profit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:23 AM
adm
Scaling New Heights

I've been using Platypus 1L bottles for years now. I have abused them in all sorts of ways. It took about 3 years for the first to fail, which is perhaps to long to keep a soft water bottle anyway! They seem to fail at the seam by the cap due to the twisting.

Ive also punctured two with crampons and an ice axe:/

I always make sure to just use water in them, (or designate one for gatorade) and when I wash them I basically just wash the cap and holding the bottle upside down, wash the rim thoroughly. A bit of soap residue gets in and I rinse it with hot water and its all good.

Chlorine tabs tend to leave a residue that is hard to remove though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Don't use soap. Soap is ineffective at cleaning water bottles anyways in that it is mostly the mechanical action of washing which removes bacterial films. Soap merely lubricates this process. You'd be better off soaking bottles that you can't mechanically scrub the insides of, with a dilute bleach solution, followed by a longer soak in clean tap water.

Edit: at the end of the bleach soak, a good shaking of the bottle, with some air in it to make bubbles, is a necessary extra step which can help dislodge the dead biofilms that have been killed by the bleach.

Another option to reach hard-to-reach areas is a high pressure water spray. I use a pressure washer sometimes to clean out the hose of my Platypus.
alpalmer likes this.

Last edited by Dru; 11-03-2016 at 03:46 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I always make sure to just use water in them, (or designate one for gatorade) and when I wash them I basically just wash the cap and holding the bottle upside down, wash the rim thoroughly. A bit of soap residue gets in and I rinse it with hot water and its all good.
I am very guilty of using Nalgene for all kinds of stuff. Frequently I mix 20% orange or some other fruit juice and 80% water. ( Someone told me it improves absorption. While I don't know if this is true, it certainly improves the taste & adds bit of vitamin ) Problem is I sometimes forget to clean/wash bottle immediately after I get back & over the time ugly looking black spots have developed inside (mold?) I have very tough time cleaning this; just soaking in water, even for long time, won't do a thing. Only thing that will work is to scrub it off, but it is next to impossible to reach due to narrow throat of the bottle. I haven't tried bleach several posters recommend & am curious now if it will help.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

1) bleach

2) pipecleaner brush
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

"Pink Powder" sold as beer and wine making chlorinated sanitizing cleanser. Very good at persistent organic films, particularly clean rinsing, odor free after rinsing and drying.

And a soft bottle brush, not the hard ones for glass, they might scratch the softer plastic making it get much dirtier and harder to clean next time.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I have several similar bottles, though not that specific one, and have never had any issues.

One thing I do is as soon as I buy any plastic bottle, I fill it with hot water (faucet-hot), let it sit overnight, then empty it, and do this a couple times, and then follow with a cold soak.
I find this helps to leech out anything that wants to leech out, and then going forward with ice water, being all I drink, I never find any sort of plastic taste.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanuck View Post
"Pink Powder" sold as beer and wine making chlorinated sanitizing cleanser. Very good at persistent organic films, particularly clean rinsing, odor free after rinsing and drying.
Could you link an example of this? I've never seen it and am curious.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

Been using 2 Vapur collapsible bottles for the past 3 years. Haven't had any issues with them (been using them a lot during hikes, road trips, etc). I mostly put water in them (only a few times put juice and rinsed right after).
They are made in USA and I never experienced any smell/bad taste.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelo View Post
Could you link an example of this? I've never seen it and am curious.
Sodium percarbonate. Not sure if it works/is safe on plastics or just on metal and glass.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Diversol is one brand. I use it on plastic all the time, I wouldn't leave it soak for days but it'll be fine with brief exposure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page