Custom Titanium and Cuben Backpack - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking Kayaking Scuba Diving
Default Custom Titanium and Cuben Backpack

My latest custom gear project. A Titanium/Cuben external-framebackpack. It is a Titanium frame from Vargo Outdoors. From there, I had Chris Zimmer (of Zimmerbuilt) make me a custom Cuben fibre pack bag, upping the volume to 65 Litres. This backpack weighs in at just 2 pounds ! Chris Zimmer's craftsmanship is amazing! He stitches, welds and tapes everyseam for absolute waterproofness. I realize even more weight savings by eliminating stuff sacks, dry-bags and a pack fly. The Titanium frame has a well-padded hip-belt with zippered pockets; the mesh suspension is fully adjustable. 2-inch webbing along the sides allow hanging those necessary close-at-hand items like bear spray, GPS and airhorn. The rear of the pack has both a mesh panel and bungees. The top of the pack bag is an extendedroll-top closure for volume adjustability and waterproofness.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Looks good. I was a tester for HMG and their cuben packs for a spell. I am not sold on the stuff if there are any concerns for abrasion, nor did I find it any more waterproof than a lot of other fabrics (i.e. dyneema gridstop or even 1.35 oz silnylon). Having said that, the strength to weight ratio is excellent.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 03:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Titanium is the way to go for strength and lightness but the way it comes, 36 L capacity seems small for backpacking. Also, the carrying capacity is only 30 lb max. If you have to customize it to increase volume size, that adds to the cost of an already expensive pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Uhhh, this is NOT the Ti-Arc backpack. This started just with the Ti-Arc frame. (Vargo will sell you just the Titanium frame; and they sent it FREE to Zimmerbuilt !) The pack-bag is totally new and custom made by Chris Zimmer. It is not 36 L; this is 65 L, plus two pockets. In testing, I loaded it to 50 lbs; it carries that with ease ! On my trip up to Poboktan Creek a few weeks ago, it carried 35 lbs like there was nothing on my back ! Very easy carrying, and stable as hell.

Last edited by aklinz; 10-22-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added text to clarify
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I agree, abrasion resistance is very poor for pure Cuben. Hybrids like X-Pac are much more robust; but almost twice as heavy. I went for absolute lightness; and bomb-proof strength. I take very good care of my gear (for what THIS thing costs, I have to !!) so I make sure it doesn't get dragged around. I even filled it almost full with water; and it didn't leak a bit.... Gotta love Cuben !! Chris Zimmer is a magician with the stuff !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page