Lightweight Tarp Recomendations? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking Kayaking Scuba Diving

Wow ! STILL aggressive and rude, eh ? (I haven't heard from you for years in this forum; and you're true to form as usual) I NEVER READ YOUR POST. Don't tell me to re-read it. I don't care what YOU think; I was posting in response to the original thread creator. Get over yourself. That's it; I will NOT respond to any of your further posts. Geeze, get a life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklinz View Post
Wow ! STILL aggressive and rude, eh ? (I haven't heard from you for years in this forum; and you're true to form as usual) I NEVER READ YOUR POST. Don't tell me to re-read it. I don't care what YOU think; I was posting in response to the original thread creator. Get over yourself. That's it; I will NOT respond to any of your further posts. Geeze, get a life
Where is the smiley face?

I wasn't being rude. I asked you to re-read my post because I made the distinction between 0.51 and 0.74 oz per square yard cuben and thought you may have missed it; you have the 0.74 oz stuff which is measurably stronger. It isn't the fabric that tears first - usually it is where the tie outs are. I was explaining that for most people, cuben is overpriced. I have cuben gear for some applications. I like it for some applications. I really dislike it for others.

Sorry you took offence. I certainly didn't mean it that way. Apologies.
alpalmer likes this.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Okay, my apologies back One reason I chose Mountain Laurel Designs is their philosophy for grommets.
They simply will not attach grommets directly to the Cuben fabric. I have attached a picture of their tie-out. The reinforcing and the stitching are first-rate. If one is careful, and does not over-stress the tarp when tying it out, these will last a very long time. Also appreciate that it does not "wet out" or stretch when wet.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 08:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Yeah - I love Ron's stuff. I should have the SoloMid XL any day yet and use his Superlight Bivy often. If I was going to buy Cuben, MLD would be the only place I would go. No question.

Damn exchange rate.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Yep. My first foray into Cuben fabric was a tarp made by Lawson Kline of Mountainfitter. (Back when he did custom work). The Cuben was way thicker and heavier than the stuff MLD uses now, but the grommets were crimped onto the reinforced corners ! Definitely NOT the way to go ! But, over 4 years, that tarp never let me down. On my last trip to Poboktan Creek, it sheltered us from near constant rain (and snow). Still good enough, so my step-son took it off my hands, so I could get my new MLD tarp !

Last edited by aklinz; 08-24-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just looking at the MLD website and am a little confused by the dimensions. This is probably something stupid that I'm missing. Most tarps that I see are rectangular and have a width x length measurement. This has front x rear x ridge length. Am I wrong to assume it's a rectangle tarp or is the front wider than the rear? Thanks.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 01:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Wider in the front with a catenary cut ridge line and sides. The ridge line is also longer than the sides at the wider end to provide more protection.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page