User Tag List

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Quilts vs sleeping bags

Hey all,

What's the opinion on quilts here? Has anyone gotten a quilt and hated it?

I'd like to replace my 6 year old noname 5lb monster (-12C claimed) with something a little lighter and more modern. Quilts seem to check all of the boxes. A -17C enigma from enlightened equipment will be under 1.5lb for example.

Last edited by Dru; 08-10-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

I've been using one of thermarest's tech-blankets for years as a warm weather option. Packs small, is super light and does me perfectly.

Haven't used a quilt for colder temperature camping but when the time comes to upgrade my winter bag I may go that route as well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Scaling New Heights

Bought an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 a few years ago, one of my favorite pieces of kit by far. I mostly do 3 season hiking/scrambling but also a fair bit of mellow winter camping and I've never been cold in it, it's light as hell and very adjustable. No complaints.

Last edited by Dru; 08-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Scaling New Heights

I use a Katabatic Gear Palisade. Very comfy, my only regret is I didn't switch sooner. I sleep on my side and like to roll around so a mummy bag was always way too constricting. A quilt combined with a hammock is the best though. I just burrito myself in there and sleep like a baby. I'm always the last to get up in the morning because I never want to get out. I've used the hammock + quilt in winter too at Elfin lake. Zero problems. As long as I have a warm pad underneath me I stay warm.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks everyone, I guess nobody regretted buying one yet

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the warmest one, say the 0F/-17C? I know for summer camping it'll be overkill but for winter/fall it'll be nice (I run cold!).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Bought a couple of quilts from Enlightened.....-12 and -6C versions for myself and daughter....

So So So Awesome.

They are also individually made in the US. Takes a few weeks to get on e but so worth it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

This totally makes sense - I bought a bag liner years ago, just so that I could wrap the sleeping bag around me rather than be smothered by it. Can't stand having my feet confined while I sleep. What is the price line for the quilts?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Check out the sierra designs sleeping bag it is part quilt part bag. I am thinking about investing in one. I have pondered getting a quilt as well.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:41 AM
adm
Scaling New Heights

Hey, just curious if anyone has any experience using a double quilt (ie. for two people)? (Specifically in moderate winter or spring conditions) Looking to invest in one, but I'm scared to commit with having no experience using a regular quilt!

The double sleeping bag from FF looks amazing, but the 900USD pricetage is insane!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Hey, just curious if anyone has any experience using a double quilt (ie. for two people)? (Specifically in moderate winter or spring conditions) Looking to invest in one, but I'm scared to commit with having no experience using a regular quilt!

The double sleeping bag from FF looks amazing, but the 900USD pricetage is insane!

I will say that the FF bags are very nice. We picked up one of the convertible bags a few years ago when the exchange rate was better and it has served us well. What I like is that you can unzip it, attach the bottom and both head sections and use it for two, or remove one of the head sections, take off the bottom and use it as a single bag. Makes it a great 3 season for my wife and I, or a 4 season for just me
adm and Crash like this.

Last edited by kellymcdonald78; 08-19-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added info
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 01:28 PM
Hittin' the Trails

My 20 degree EE Revelation arrived last week and I'm taking it on its first trip next week. Its my first quilt but It looks and feels great and is really light. The straps seem to tie it to my pad nicely to eliminate drafts but we'll see. The temps on the trip are supposed to drop below zero so I can report back after as to how it performed.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

link deleted.

Last edited by Dru; 09-01-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:56 PM
adm
Scaling New Heights

[QUOTE=Archive;746114]

"For all the minimalists."

??

Can't say I've ever hauled a battery powered heated jacket up a mountain. Am I missing some products on their page?
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Sry Dru, was just some humor for a mid week rainy day.
No linking, got it.
adm likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:03 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Another vote for Enlightened Equipment - been out in my +5C Enigma 3 times so far (received it a few weeks ago) and absolutely love it. The quality, ability to customize, customer service and price made it all worth while, in my mind. Only down side was the long lead time (as these are individually made as you order, they can take a while to get, but again, worth it imo). I plan on coupling it with my Western Mountaineering -7C bag in the winter. Check out EE's link re: using a quilt as an overbag and the temps two quilts (or quilt/bag combo) should be good for, combined.

My +5C quilt and -7C bag, combined, should be good to -23C! 2 bags to get all 4 seasons in? Yes please!

Last edited by Dru; 09-13-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: link removed. this thread is not here to advertise the wares of a certain quilt maker
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page