ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Gotta Love Gear (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/)
-   -   Newbie needing to purchase 2 sleeping bags (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/69033-newbie-needing-purchase-2-sleeping-bags.html)

mom3lovebugs 03-25-2016 01:39 PM

Newbie needing to purchase 2 sleeping bags

Hi everyone,

My son and I are hiking the Chilkoot Trail in late July with my sister and her family. We have day hiked quite a bit but this is our first multi-day backpacking trip.

I already purchased our new packs, Osprey 65 AG for me and North Face Terra 35 for my son.

Next on the list is sleeping bags.

Decent quality and relatively light weight without a big price tag.

Any recommendations?

We live in a remote northern community so online shopping is my only choice.

Thanks!

Kid Charlemagne 03-27-2016 11:10 PM

There are so many different options, and many very similar in performance, that you might as well let price guide your decision. Figure out the temperature range you're after, and whether you want down or synthetic, and then look at the online retailers for discounts. Last year's or discontinued stock can often be found 30% to 50% off of regular price.

I would imagine the Chilkoot trail can get pretty cold, even in July, so get something a bit warmer. You can always sleep with the bag unzipped if it's too warm.

http://www.backcountry.com/rc/womens...eeping%5C+Bags

ashi 03-28-2016 12:48 AM

Hi, I highly recommend: http://featheredfriends.com/

I just picked up a winter sleeping bag (Arctic Finch EX -10). It'd be way too warm for what you're doing but I was surprised at how great the quality was for its price. I have a summer sleeping bag made by a different manufacturer (the Switch 10) which is great, but when it wears out, I'll be purchasing a new one from Feathered Friends again.

Good luck :)

Kokanee75 03-28-2016 03:40 AM

I did the Chilkoot in the first week of sept. with an alpkit sleeping bag containing 600 g down - it was nice weather, the bag generally works without any issues til -5 degrees (promoted for -10 but that's kind of optimistic). They have a new model range now, I would take a sleepingbag with 700 g down, perhaps depending on future plans and how ambitious your weight-savings are probably one with 500 g. Weight vs. price SkyeHigh or AlpineDream (unfortunately already sold out and it usually takes them some time to stock up again). I'm using this bag for over 5 years now and it's really comfortable - more of a small fit, one could say narrow, barely loses down now after this time and I like the material. Marmot also seemed not too bad to me, wider.

I think Happy Camp tends to be the coldest camp, I also didn't like the ambience that much, windy (no people when I was there but it surely is crowded in summer). Deep Lake is nicer so I would try to go for that. (we have an older North Face Terra 40, I don't find it comfortable, lots of padding but seems to me without useful function - and it's kind of heavy for it's size).

kellymcdonald78 03-28-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashi (Post 704265)
Hi, I highly recommend: http://featheredfriends.com/

I just picked up a winter sleeping bag (Arctic Finch EX -10). It'd be way too warm for what you're doing but I was surprised at how great the quality was for its price. I have a summer sleeping bag made by a different manufacturer (the Switch 10) which is great, but when it wears out, I'll be purchasing a new one from Feathered Friends again.

Good luck :)

We've been extremely happy with our Feathered Friends bag, but I wouldn't call them inexpensive (even more so with the weakened dollar). For your son I'd definitely recommend the Big Agnes Wolverine youth bags. They don't pack down as nicely, but they are fairly light weight and very comfortable. My kids have used theirs from -20 to +20 with never a complaint. We've taken them on several multi day trips.

kossi 01-10-2018 09:19 AM

IŽm in the same situation, but this thread is now 1 year old and some links donŽt work anymore. WeŽd like to hike the Chilkoot trail in July, too. I already have one sleeping bag (Carinthia Defence 4 - got it "for free") which I would use.

IŽd like to buy a sleeping bag for my wife which makes sure that she wonŽt freeze.

Any ideas?

Kokanee75 01-10-2018 11:19 PM

Generally you have better or: more choices in Europe - if you are not planning to buy a Western Mountaineering or so (which would be quite exaggerated IMHO).

Your Carinthia seems to be a bit exaggerated as well... but if you have it - you could look for a much lighter bag for her (closer to 1 kg) and if it's a bit cold you have yours as a backup. Down works but if you feel bad about the geese take synthetic which will be a bit heavier and bulkier. Mountain Hardwear Lamina is a good synthetic choice.
Depending on how much you want to spend a bag from e.g. Globetrotters house brands can do the trick as well. Overall I'm not familiar with the current prices, sometimes astonished if I take a look... so I would go for something on sale.

(just checked Globetrotter: seems sleeping bags are getting more and more expensive whereas the quality deteriorates- maybe check Cumulus, Mysterious Traveller is still not too bad, 500 if you can live a bit on the edge, 700 if you want to be safe - one can customize the bags regarding length depending on her height and maybe also the filling - if they shorten the bag and fill the same amount you get a warmer one)

kossi 01-12-2018 06:40 PM

Kokanee75: Thank your for your reply! Sleeping bags seem to be a little bit cheaper here. IŽve heard a long time ago that down is less effactive if it gets wet. Mountain hardwear sounds good. And IŽll buy hers in a larger size so it would fit me in case sheŽll freeze.

Kokanee75 01-12-2018 08:37 PM

Larger is not so good - you have to heat up too much unused space - if there is a better fitting women's model, take it. (or at least don't take long if there's a regular 180).
Your bag sounds so warm that you will barely have to close it, it can work at least as a half blanket for both of you.

Mammut/Ajungilak used to make good bags when it was only Ajungilak... the Kompakt 3-season with MTI filling (this shop used to have some nice offers here and there but probably not anymore... check elsewhere as well - several lengths - if you take the shortest possible it will also be lighter, a bit less bulky). The fabric was VERY cozy - it's a bit heavier but I assume it will be sufficient for all occasions. They have a lot of other 3-season-called bags, but I don't know what makes these so much cheaper - they must be worse.

Lythe 01-13-2018 08:42 PM

Everything becomes less effective when wet. I am sold on Down bags myself, even living right on the coast. Down bags are also becoming more water repellent (including the down itself), to the point where Rab tested a Nikwax treated Down bag by successfully floating a person in a lake with it. Personally I have found that Down bags with the same temperature rating as synthetics are actually warmer, in addition to being lighter, though this will vary between bags and manufacturers.

If you follow basic sleeping bag care, such as keeping it in a waterproof sack unless in the tent, airing it when there is sun, and using a proper tent, with proper pitching and good campsite selection (so you don't get flooded), you shouldn't have problems with keeping Down dry.

kellymcdonald78 01-14-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kossi (Post 825818)
Kokanee75: Thank your for your reply! Sleeping bags seem to be a little bit cheaper here. IŽve heard a long time ago that down is less effactive if it gets wet. Mountain hardwear sounds good. And IŽll buy hers in a larger size so it would fit me in case sheŽll freeze.

I've been happy with my Mountain Hardware bag over the past few years. It's a good 3 season bag. A lot of down these days is treated with a hydrophobic coating so getting wet is not as big of an issue as it once was (just make sure it is treated, otherwise, wet down sucks)

kossi 01-16-2018 06:01 PM

Sounds all very good, thank you!

I think weŽll buy her a mountain hardwear. Prices here are almost the same. And she can bring more other stuff on the way to USA (we already knew, weŽll need an additional bag for the flight back....)...

haidabear 01-22-2018 10:27 PM

I have been a professional guide for over 25 years. It is always difficult to pass along recommendations when you don't know much about the people asking for suggestions.

I have led hikes on the Chilkoot Trail. Although the hike is moderate for the most part, there are challenging sections offered by landscape and weather. Hiking over the pass can be exhausting, cold, and wet. The alpine area is quite exposed and bad weather can make it a trial. I pass this along to highlight the importance of proper equipment, clothing, and shelter, even in July.

You don't say how old or big your son is. A 35 liter bag may be suitable for his physical frame but may create capacity problems for a sleeping bag, pad, clothes, tent, food, toiletries, misc. We recommend to our clients a minimum 72 liter pack (assuming their back can accept this size).

I always carry a down bag for compression and warmth considerations. Take the proper care and you can assure that your bag will not get wet (a proper tent with fly that is ideal for the area you are hiking - a compression stuff sack for your bag that is double garbage bagged [inside and outside sheltering of stuff sack])

A number of good suggestions for sleeping bags were made by readers. I always preferred a barrel bag for the options it gave me. It acts in many respects like a mummy bag while allowing you to unzip it and use it as a blanket in warmer weather. A consideration that many ignore is one's comfort with the lack of movement within a mummy bag. Can be very claustrophobic. Know where you fall on this scale as you can go crazy if you are so confined.

Finally, carry an air filled sleeping pad.

Final piece of advice - when purchasing items for your hike, don't go cheap. You get what you pay for.

kossi 01-30-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haidabear (Post 826689)
You don't say how old or big your son is. A 35 liter bag may be suitable for his physical frame but may create capacity problems for a sleeping bag, pad, clothes, tent, food, toiletries, misc. We recommend to our clients a minimum 72 liter pack (assuming their back can accept this size).

@haidabear: Thank you for your advice. This thread was started in 2016 by someone else with a son.

We are two people, my wife (169, 68kg) an I (190, 87kg). My wife bought a Tatonka Yukon 50+10, I have an osprey Xenith with 75 litres. I think more than 60 l wonŽt work on my wife, IŽll carry the food for both and the tent.

I wanted to use a Carinthia Defence 4 (which I could get for free) but I really didnŽt like it, far too tight... really claustrophobic. IŽll get another one, too.WeŽll have a look on the Mountain Heardware Lamina Z Torch next weekend. Any experience?

Pad might be Thermarest NeoAir xlite. IŽm not sure if itŽs worth it.

Kokanee75 01-30-2018 11:42 PM

It's a sleeping bag... maybe the zipper placement is not ideal. The measurements seem to be roomy already, the MH not roomier...
Keep the weight in mind - even though you are tall and a few days hiking is not much of a deal - but 2 kg less if you don't have to is better. Which tent do you take? I would really suggest the Ajungilak kompakt 3 season then - 500 g less from the beginning -

Your wife could take e.g. an Osprey Exos - old model (2017) maybe still on sale somewhere. It is perhaps a bit fragile, but I suppose at least everybody in Seattle is excited about it. And if maybe a hut tour in the Alpes is next on the list - keep it lighter and more versatile for other occasions.