What about chairs? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 11:48 AM

Be tough...you don't really need a chair! Too much weight and for me, not worth carrying it up the mountain or whatever unless it's a very easy hike.

----------------------------------------
http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by muckyduck

I bring mine on any trip where I expect to be spending time hanging around camp, and have never regretted the extra weight it adds, even on heavy mountaineering trips. You'll be sitting on the ground but can lean back in it and put your knees up, it feels kind of like a recliner.
Ditto that, except for single overnighters. For those with a sore back, like me, the extra weight of the chair is minimal, considering one's possession of it ensures that one can still move the next day.

Old thread hey? Echo..echo...echo...
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I thought about buying some sort of lightweight collapsable chair, or a thermarest chair kit, but then I realized that the lid for my pack (Arcteryx Bora 62) is really padded since it turns into a fanny pack. It makes a great seat and saves me having to pack in one of those silly little foam squares or an expensive thermarest kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

I've got 2 options: 1) a thermarest chair kit, and 2) my mchale has a detachable back-pad that's great for sitting on.

post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I've used a thermarest chair for awhile, but last week, I found this on sale at a Save-On Foods for 2 bucks:

Fairly light, very compact, and inflates to a good 4 inches thick, and just big enough to sit on! I tried this little number up at our Pierce Lake overnighter and it's actually quite comfy! I just bought 2 more at another SOF at 2 for 3 bucks. This is my new "ultralight" comfy cushoin!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM

WE bought and brought CRAZY CREEK chairs that are IDENTICAL to the expensive Slinglights. the Crazy Creek version is $45 and weighs the same. WE LOVED them. Took them on our adventure on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai. Super strenuous 11 mile hike on a rated 4 out of 5 trail. Those chairs were heaven to sit in after the insane trail.

Much better investment -- you can buy 2 for the price of one slinglite and they are identical. We tested one in a store (the real one) and took a chance and ordered from REI - the crazy creek version and were pleased to find they were the same.

We were the envy of all hikers and campers. So light too. I had 35 lbs on my back and my husband had about 45.

Hope that helps you pick a chair. We considered the therma-rest but that way of sitting would be uncomfortable for long periods on the groud.

-Aloha
post #22 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:04 PM

Budget chair! Lightweight but dependant on a good layout of rocks
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Just browsing the cascade designs webpage when I came across this neat little idea they are selling.
I am sure you could make your own for cheaper somehow, but the idea behind it is pretty smart.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...e-seat/product

Just over 3 ounces lighter than this
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...ir-kit/product

But to have some back support is always nice
post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Get some cheap fabric from Fabricland and make your own thermarest chair.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking Kayaking Scuba Diving

Just a quick update. I had two Sling Light chairs; they work but are bulky and hard to get in and out of. Very cumbersome to cook in too. Also had the standard WALKSTOOL, and it becomes a bit uncomfortable (for a guy, anyway !) after 10 minutes... There is a new chair out there called HELINOX. Less than two pounds, and maintains yer butt 13.5 inches above the ground. Great support, and compacts down to a small bundle about 3 inches in diameter and about 14 inches long. Have been using them for 8 months now and they are incredible !
post #26 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by aklinz

Just a quick update. I had two Sling Light chairs; they work but are bulky and hard to get in and out of. Very cumbersome to cook in too. Also had the standard WALKSTOOL, and it becomes a bit uncomfortable (for a guy, anyway !) after 10 minutes... There is a new chair out there called HELINOX. Less than two pounds, and maintains yer butt 13.5 inches above the ground. Great support, and compacts down to a small bundle about 3 inches in diameter and about 14 inches long. Have been using them for 8 months now and they are incredible !
I have a helinox chair and I love it. I am mostly kayaking now and it packs pretty small. It is super light, and I would probably take it backpacking.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Hiking: http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-460/t...10+50130+51069 for her and a rock/log/sprawl cushioned with some clothing or ? for me. A few minutes moving some rocks/logs can work wonders.
Canoe camping: http://www.amazon.ca/Travel-Chair-12...ds=travelchair A pair.
(Canoe camping also gets big tent and tarp, axe, two burner coleman, much more kitchen, fresh food and beer/wine! We are fans.)
post #28 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

I have sat on one of these and it was pretty nice. and pretty small / lite. would be nice to find something similar up here.

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/re...air#reviewsTab
post #29 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Banned

post #30 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Scaling New Heights

The Helinox chair is the way to go, packs down small and can hold a lot of weight. I bought the brand with the butterfly logo and it was too low to the groud.

The only problem with the Helinox is every time you get up and move away from the chair someone else has their butt in it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page