Day trip hiking pack - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Flashlights, backpacks, military gear, electronic gadgets, knives. Should I continue?
Default Day trip hiking pack

What can be considered the minimum pack size for a 20-30 km hike, such as Panorama ridge.

In line with that question, I already have an eberlestock x4 hispeed backpack, with a manufacturer's rated capacity of 23 Liters (1400 cu in), but tested it as being closer to 30-35 liters (1900+ cu in). Should that be sufficient to carry what I need, especially since I am new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Banned

I like to air on the side of bigger. I have a 42 L Deuter Futura Pro. For summer hikes it's not that full at all, but for winter hikes or hikes where the weather might change I can pack it full of all the clothes (and/or gear) that I might need. It even depends on your size - my wife is small so she gets by with a much smaller pack because her clothes don't take up much space. I'd say decide on what gear you'd want to take and then see what size pack it fits in, adding a bit of extra space just in case.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:06 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I like bigger packs, too, even for day hikes if they take me more than 10km or so from road access and/or in the alpine, as I like to be prepared and hate a pack bursting at the seams.. Right now I have an old beat up Alpine Lowe 65L, but would like an Osprey Aether 60 or an Arcteryx Altra 65.

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Last edited by dougz; 10-24-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkan View Post
What can be considered the minimum pack size for a 20-30 km hike, such as Panorama ridge.

In line with that question, I already have an eberlestock x4 hispeed backpack, with a manufacturer's rated capacity of 23 Liters (1400 cu in), but tested it as being closer to 30-35 liters (1900+ cu in). Should that be sufficient to carry what I need, especially since I am new to this.
30-35L is perfect. I've used a Black Diamond Speed 30 forever and believe it or not it's good for a day trip to a 4 day back pack trip; although in fairness to the latter I have learned to pack light. This pack also serves me well ice, alpine and rock climbing plus AT skiing. Bottom line, yes, absolutely efficient.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I agree with the 30-35L range. For day hikes I typically use a 30L MountainHardware Scrambler.
30L is plenty of space for spare clothing, food, water andeven enough room if you are doing some climbing to fit in a 30m rope and aharness. I think once you start gettinginto the 45L range, you are getting into the overnight pack size. Although a 30L pack could be consideredovernight if you are a good packer like woodenshoes.
One other advantage of the 30L size (at least the one Ihave) is it does not have a ridged frame in it which helps reduce the weight ofthe pack. However this could be a disadvantageif you were going to carry lots of heavy gear, such as a climbing rack, whichin that case I would switch over to my 50L black diamond pack.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Since you already own a pack, you may as well stick with it for now. It will be fine for a day hike. Over time, you will fine tune your tastes and then you can drop money on a new pack.

The main thing about the pack that you have is that its rather heavy (a similar sized BD Speed pack is about 1/4 the weight). But you're probably young and could use the extra exercise.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'd rather carry a partially empty 35 liter bag with great waist straps than a full 25 liter bag with wimpy straps.
alpalmer likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Some people like it one way, and some people like it the other way. I think it depends a lot on how big your back/shoulders are, and how often you're wearing a climbing harness.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 04:31 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:

Does all of your gear fit in your pack? Is it comfortable? If you answer no to either one I'd start looking for another pack.

Raise the limits
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Flashlights, backpacks, military gear, electronic gadgets, knives. Should I continue?

In terms of comfort, the eberlestock is pretty much foam on my back. I chose it primarily because I found the adjustable shoulder straps and the decent amount of padding to be comfortable (or seem comfortable when I saw it in store). Added with the wide waist belt, my experience with it so far is good. Bought it specifically for Panorama ridge excursion with my friend, but sadly, wasn't able to use it for that purpose because our trip was canceled and is still pending until now .
Now I only use it to carry my laptop and books for school since it has an accordion separator. 20+ lbs of gear never felt so good on my back since I started using this, especially coming from the maxpedition falcon 2.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post
Does all of your gear fit in your pack? Is it comfortable? If you answer no to either one I'd start looking for another pack.

Fair enough. It's comfortable even with 20+ lbs of gear. As for the amount of stuff I need for my (future) hiking, still looking into what stuff I need or should bring. Planning to take a stab at lightweight hiking, but within reason (being a newbie and all). Funny enough, considering that I find lightweight hiking appealing, I didn't chose a backpack that is lighter than eberlestock hispeed.
I have to admit, I chose it because I like military stuff.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
I'd rather carry a partially empty 35 liter bag with great waist straps than a full 25 liter bag with wimpy straps.
I couldn't agree more. Had a Vaude bike alpine 30+5L bike backpack which I used in my Garibaldi hike. It was good for the first few km, but after a while, the waist belt and the thin shoulder straps dug in on me.
I know it's a bike backpack, but I found the back mesh panel to be appealing since my back tends to sweat a lot, especially since it was summer when I did the Garibaldi lake hike.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougz View Post
I like bigger packs, too, even for day hikes if they take me more than 10km or so from road access and/or in the alpine, as I like to be prepared and hate a pack bursting at the seams.. Right now I have an old beat up Alpine Lowe 65L, but would like an Osprey Aether 60 or an Arcteryx Altra 65.

Try the Gregory Z65 at mec (mountain equipment co-op). When I was doing research on packs, the gregory seem like a well designed pack for the price. Bonus feature is the back mesh panel which gives you ample amount of ventilation.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Fair enough. It's comfortable even with 20+ lbs of gear. As for the amount of stuff I need for my (future) hiking, still looking into what stuff I need or should bring. Planning to take a stab at lightweight hiking, but within reason (being a newbie and all). Funny enough, considering that I find lightweight hiking appealing, I didn't chose a backpack that is lighter than eberlestock hispeed.
I have to admit, I chose it because I like military stuff.
There's nothing wrong with choosing something because you like the looks of it. I bring a 20" Wetterlings axe with me on almost every hike I go on. I almost never use it. But I like it and I like to have it with me.

I have a 20L day pack that fits all I need for my wife and myself on a day hike. We use it about 30% of the time. Usually I use a cheap 45L Canadian Tire pack because I can fit more toys in it and when I really want to play outside I use my 70L Aether!

Raise the limits
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Quote:
Try the Gregory Z65 at mec (mountain equipment co-op).
I was looking at that one, too, but according to this review it won't work (I'm 6'2")..

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa...ws/Gregory-Z65

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page