User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenarc View Post
Superior to every other goretex pro shell jacket out on the market...
Really? My Theta jacket started leaking after first three trips, and didn't last even three seasons - front pockets delaminated, see photo. The first warning sign of brand quality deterioration is when business expands and starts producing for masses, that is when you begin seeing people wearing such jackets in local Walmart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenarc View Post
Superior to every other goretex pro shell jacket out on the market.
This is a pretty strong claim, and I see no real evidence to back it.

For the record, I'm not challenging the idea that all goretext pro shell jackets are the same. Nor would I challenge the idea that there are a lot of jackets that are worse than theirs; just the idea that Arcteryx jackets, in some mysterious and imperceivable way, happens to be better than all the competition.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:33 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I have a MEC Gortex jacket that was top of the line ... about 10 years ago, when I bought it. I think it was about $300 then. Finally this year it is starting to leak a little around the shoulders. I have no problem with this, 10 years of heavy use is a lot of service. No issues with delamination (I didn't know what this was until I looked at the photo). I'm not sure why people are slagging MEC's quality?

My partner and I were discussing this last night, and we both concur that Helly Hansen Gortex jackets last and last and last. I have one that is 15 years old and it is still waterproof. Mind you, it isn't a sexy or fashionable brand, but I will take waterproof over fashionable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Really? My Theta jacket started leaking after first three trips, and didn't last even three seasons - front pockets delaminated, see photo. The first warning sign of brand quality deterioration is when business expands and starts producing for masses, that is when you begin seeing people wearing such jackets in local Walmart.

@Baker2008
Depends on in a consumer's eyes what makes a jacket/company superior. Every company has to go by Gore's rules for the temperature used to seal and a lot of other stuff when using their sheets of Goretex so a lot of times, they will delaminate. But they have a warranty policy to let you get a new one, so that's pretty good. If that was my jacket, I'd get a Theta SV instead of AR on the next go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
This is a pretty strong claim, and I see no real evidence to back it.

For the record, I'm not challenging the idea that all goretext pro shell jackets are the same. Nor would I challenge the idea that there are a lot of jackets that are worse than theirs; just the idea that Arcteryx jackets, in some mysterious and imperceivable way, happens to be better than all the competition.
Just give me benefit of the doubt, I'm just relaying information. Arc'teryx's intention is to be the best in that specific category they're in...and I'm up to date with all the indepth stuff up to 2012 so if Salomon, TNF, MEC has surpassed them then they're the best. I've just looked at materials first hand, got all the reps' of different companies opinions, seen microscope images presented by Arc'teryx. That's my evidence...I'm not going out my way to make sure that everyone thinks Arc'teryx is the best, because they're not. I mean one major flaw, especially on my jacket, it's a 2014 version...the "waterproof zippers" are exposed ...they should have a flap over them...or sewn in a different way so you're stuff doesn't get wet in there when it soaks down.

@susied
Companies don't intend to make products that last 10-15 years just because it's business...unfortunately for us
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Quote:
Arc'teryx only makes stuff in the technical side
Maybe you need some hipster friends...

http://veilance.arcteryx.com/Product...tegory=Blazers
post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Scaling New Heights

Overbuilt and overpriced, if you ask me. Nice jackets and a killer warranty though..
post #22 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 05:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

What DRU said...and...

I work in a profession where different employers have clothing branding deals with major clothing and gear manufacturers. At times, I'm required to wear their product line, regardless of sophistication or appropriateness to activity or conditions.

Based on this, if I have a choice, I personally go with Arcteryx jackets and shells in most applications, especially shells. I find they generally blend wearability with function best of all manufacturers I'm familiar with.

Their warranty service is the best I've experienced, closely followed by Patagonia. I've brought guide packs in to have the straps replaced at my expense and they've always refused to take payment, although they have tried to offer a brand new pack rather than re-strap my fave ski tour pack, the Borea. Baker 2008, your photo looks like an example of a product run that had some issues and was quickly warrantied. Did you try the warranty route?

I've never had a piece of MEC shell gear that I've tried on that actually fit me...

Fun is where you make it...
post #23 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 06:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

When it starts raining I go home, so I just bring a few Coleman ponchos to get me through until the truck.
Dru and upstreamedge like this.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Meh, totally overpriced European trendy wear made by cheap Asian labour. Anyone who thinks it's the best gear out there is brainwashed.

And to be fair, most of my gear is Arc'teryx, due to the hangover of working for them for a few years.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
MEC makes eVent jackets? Do you know if they still make it / what the product name is?
My mistake, it's not eVent is actually Entrant EV. The jacket is called Truant 2. Seems like its not being sold anymore.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Hittin' the Trails

If you are looking at arcteryx I would invite you in to take a look at the new collection from Peak Performance. We are one of the few dealers having their Blacklight collection in which focuses on the more technical side of things. The cut, quality and finishing is fantastic! The price is very competitive as well.
lowclimber likes this.

Last edited by Dru; 05-14-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: removed link which could be construed as spam
post #27 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBrooksOfficial View Post
If you are looking at arcteryx I would invite you in to take a look at the new collection from Peak Performance. We are one of the few dealers having their Blacklight collection in which focuses on the more technical side of things. The cut, quality and finishing is fantastic! The price is very competitive as well.

Competition is great!
could you elaborate on warranty duration, coverage and process

Last edited by Dru; 05-14-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: same as above. no more advertising
post #28 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I've owned plenty of Arc'teryx (personal disclosure: I have worked for them), Patagonia, MEC (back in the day) and even Taiga (way, way back in the day). Like Banff mountain guide Reudi Kranabitter once said, "I don't want to know what kind of gear you've got, I want to know where you've been with it." I think fit, first and foremost, is the most important - and there are nuances between various manufacturers (and please, if you go around to the stores, yes, even the branded shops since there really AREN'T any independent stores left any more), buy the item at the store and keep the receipt. Even keep the hangtags. For dirtbags, of course price is important. A saving of $300 is a week or two of climbing. But those guys usually utilize the jungle telegraph to cadge some kind of pro deal. If you're a weekend warrior, go for fit and pay the price - you won't be disappointed. Arc'teryx, of course, are good, but so too are Patagonia, Peak Performance, Mountain Hardwear, and if you want to be a really cool dude you can seek out a Euro brand like Haglofs, Noronna, or Halti. Now, if you've stuck with me this far, I will have to say that the Westcomb APOC NeoShell is THE best shell piece I've ever tried. It's very light so I don't know how durable it will be, but the membrane and the slightly stretchy face fabric is real secret sauce stuff. It has kept me dry in pounding North Shore rain (though I haven't worn it for more than a couple of hours at a time) and the DWR/fabric beaded moisture away. Having said that, it IS lightweight fabric. You don't get that crumply hard-shell feel (which a lot of people like). I have heard great things about their eVent fabric jackets, too. The fit is simply outstanding, and so is the workmanship. They are definitely worth seeking out as well, echoing what earlier posters said (Valhalla Pure is the primary outfitter, again, they have outlet sales as well).
lowclimber likes this.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrendyle View Post
I've owned plenty of Arc'teryx (personal disclosure: I have worked for them), Patagonia, MEC (back in the day) and even Taiga (way, way back in the day). Like Banff mountain guide Reudi Kranabitter once said, "I don't want to know what kind of gear you've got, I want to know where you've been with it." I think fit, first and foremost, is the most important - and there are nuances between various manufacturers (and please, if you go around to the stores, yes, even the branded shops since there really AREN'T any independent stores left any more), buy the item at the store and keep the receipt. Even keep the hangtags. For dirtbags, of course price is important. A saving of $300 is a week or two of climbing. But those guys usually utilize the jungle telegraph to cadge some kind of pro deal. If you're a weekend warrior, go for fit and pay the price - you won't be disappointed. Arc'teryx, of course, are good, but so too are Patagonia, Peak Performance, Mountain Hardwear, and if you want to be a really cool dude you can seek out a Euro brand like Haglofs, Noronna, or Halti. Now, if you've stuck with me this far, I will have to say that the Westcomb APOC NeoShell is THE best shell piece I've ever tried. It's very light so I don't know how durable it will be, but the membrane and the slightly stretchy face fabric is real secret sauce stuff. It has kept me dry in pounding North Shore rain (though I haven't worn it for more than a couple of hours at a time) and the DWR/fabric beaded moisture away. Having said that, it IS lightweight fabric. You don't get that crumply hard-shell feel (which a lot of people like). I have heard great things about their eVent fabric jackets, too. The fit is simply outstanding, and so is the workmanship. They are definitely worth seeking out as well, echoing what earlier posters said (Valhalla Pure is the primary outfitter, again, they have outlet sales as well).

how does it fit with a harness?

is it mobile for ice climbing?
post #30 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:59 AM
Scaling New Heights

I've gone with Arc Teryx Leaf . ( Arc teryx's law enforcement / military branch) .

The gear is better built than the civilian stuff and the clothing is made in canada.

Try:

Dstactical.com
Uselitegear.com
Milbrook.com

They make some amazing stuff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page