User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougz View Post
How were the customs charges, etc?
Good question. I don't remember there being anything other than GST. I chose the USPS Priority shipping option. It's slower but less charges than FedEx.

Vern Dewit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I remember ordering through the States once and the customs, duties, etc. were punitive, so I haven't bothered since..

Maybe it was Fed Ex that was to blame?

I've ordered stuff through Amazon.ca and it's been shipped from an American supplier, no customs, etc..

Hmmmmm..

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #33 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

I was a gear tester for Hyperlite Mountain Gear for a bit. Great products and they have been continually upgraded over time which says a lot about the management group actually listening to customers.
vern.dewit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfred View Post
FamilyGuy, would you be willing to share your WCT gear list? I noticed you have hiked the trail multiple times and I've noticed some of your gear posts on backpacking light.
Hey - received your PM and responded in kind.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
Hey - received your PM and responded in kind.
Thank you, Great list
post #36 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfred View Post
Thank you, Great list
Would you be willing to send it to me as well?

Cheers

Kelly
post #37 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Headed for the Mountains

My experience with cross-border shopping in general is that anytime a courier is used for shipping, the Customs/Duty charges go through the roof, particularly with UPS.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

UPS is "brown." Brown is the colour of poop. That is what their service is.

If UPS is the only shipping option, I option to buy elsewhere. From the US, USPS - Canada Post is awesome.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:52 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

I have a western mountaineering summerlite sleeping bag and would highly recommend it. It's expensive, but I have used it for 8 years and it has been worth every penny.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

I cant imagine you would need a stove and all the cooking stuff that goes with, or a sleeping back rated for less than +5. What about all those cups, forks, toothbrushes, heavy headlamps...chuck chuck chuck...what else you got in there, an iphone? Gonzo, how about your boots isnt a pound on your feet worth three on your back...bye bye, some light hikers will be fine now that your only carrying a day pack with a sil tarp and an equator bag from MEC. Its probably not rocket science, just get harder

I dunno, last trip I went on Nick ate out of a ziplog and harvested our used tea bags...pocket rocket...pffft for what warm food...that shits for softies
post #41 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

There are going to be a lot of techniques to lower your overall weight.

The simplest being to simply buy lighter, more expensive gear.

A simple way that I dropped weight was to drastically compress as much air out of my gear as possible. It's amazing the amount of air people carry around in their packs, necessitating large backpacks with heavy suspension systems.

Get OR compression sacks and get creative. Stuff, don't roll, everything. I can get my Winter sleeping bag into a 8L compression sack and then the tent, my clothes and a puffy goes in another 8L compression sack.

From trying different compression methods I got my pack size down to 30L for overnight trips in the Winter. My 30L pack weighs less than a pound. Note that I'm also bring a camera tripod, 4 lenses, batteries... etc, as well as a stove, sleeping pad and sometimes helmet, crampons and ice axe. I share food weight with my wife.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

throw your gears on the floor a couple days ahead of your trip so that you can see and think easily & clearly , then check each item and ask yourself: "do I really need it for the trip?"

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeGirl View Post
throw your gears on the floor a couple days ahead of your trip so that you can see and think easily & clearly , then check each item and ask yourself: "do I really need it for the trip?"
Great tip. I do this also. I start the process of packing for the weekend on a Tuesday usually, right after I've unpacked on the Monday, ha!
post #44 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern.dewit View Post
Nobody ever seems to respond to this suggestion - but if you want light it's hard to beat hyperlitemountaingear (HMG) stuff. I have their packs (3400 and 4400) and their two person Mid. Expensive but very tough, completely waterproof and very light. I got my stuff on discount while keeping an eye out for sales.

Also second the idea to weight everything you bring and add it all up. The "little bits" count. I wrote a blog on this a few months ago too, if you're interested.
Looks like they have some great products. It looks like the Mid comes without a floor, I feel like if it rained there would be a big issue, is that not true? Right now I'm not seeing the advantage of the Mid compared to the Echo. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but could you help me out Vern?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page