2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rex
  • 1 Post By Rachelo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker
Default Microspikes

I'm thinking of getting some Microspikes and wanted to get some feedback on models and issues with them. It appears that MEC does not carry the brand name anymore. All of the traction devices that they have, have poor reviews. So I was thinking of finding a distributor of the Microspikes brand in Surrey, Langley, or Abbotsford.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

It looks like Valhalla Pure Outfitters in Abby has some, and I've seen them carried in the Langley Atmosphere in the past. Wholesale Sports and Waddington's are both listed as authorized dealers on Kahtoola's website, but I then so is MEC so who knows.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Up to $70
Hillsound, Kahtoola micro-spikes... pretty much the same product... work really well on moderate slopes and steep forest debris... approx. 3/8" spikes...

http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon/
https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

> $90
There are also mini-crampons > 3/8" spikes... for example...
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...857645377.html

Anything beyond this is full crampons territory.

I do not recommend Yaktraks
I have witnessed a number of cases where Yaktraks have peeled off boots in deeper snow and they are just not aggressive enough in my opinion for icy trails or icy mild slopes. Yaktracks would be good for icy sidewalks.. not mountain terrain imho. Just not rugged enough.

It is condition dependent ... one downside to mini-crampons is the more aggressive spikes are harder to walk in... so there is a bit of a trade off...
W.C-hiker likes this.

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Off the Beaten Path

MEC does carry Kahtoola Microspikes, but they don't show them on the website as they've run very low on stock (I called and asked earlier). You can call their service center and see if they have some in your size. You might just luck out (last week they had several size large).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Microspikes are awesome and fantastic. I love my microspikes. I've had them more than 5 years now, and they are in great shape. Could be new.
I've never heard a bad review for them. They are easy to slip on and off, they stay put once on the shoe well, they stick really really well, and I can walk confidently on all sorts of surfaces, including surprisingly steep ice.

The only issues I have seen are:
I have seen some knock-offs snap in the rubber, but only when people fail to use the correct size, and stretch them too much.
In really deep slush, they don't penetrate far enough to get down to the solid ground, ice, packed snow, or other solid surface underneath and find purchase. But in that situation, nothing short of a proper crampon will do.

They are head and shoulders above the other options. I like the Icetrekkers for flat canyon-floor ice walking or some extra city grip, and the ones with tiny points can be good for just a smidge of extra help, but while the microspikes aren't *needed* in these lesser situations, they still do just fine, and none of the others compete in more complicated situations.

Get microspikes. You won't regret it.

I have seen that MEC runs out of pretty much all the good stuff by halfway through the winter, and I'm not surprised they dumped the microspikes now. I strongly suspect they will be back at the start of next winter when they have some stock again, but if you can find them elsewhere, that's also good.
W.C-hiker likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Go for the ones from Hillsound they're much better than the Katoola type. some of the meetup hiking groups get a discount there, so may be worthwhile joining. warranty for 2 years, so keep the receipt.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

I have a pair of brand new microspikes (still in box - Kahtoola) size L for sale.

(Good for US Sz 11-14 runners and light hikers, or 8.5-11 boots)

Traction device of choice these days in the backcountry.

$65 + tax new. First $60 in cash takes 'em. Please send PM.

Last edited by Biffybee; 03-11-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Love the new version of CT. Really I do.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeeto View Post
Go for the ones from Hillsound they're much better than the Katoola type. some of the meetup hiking groups get a discount there, so may be worthwhile joining. warranty for 2 years, so keep the receipt.
What do you find better about them?
Their "Trail Crampon Ultra" is an almost exact knockoff, and seems good, though the Kahtoolas appear to wear a little better to me.
Their "Trail Crampon" has the plates instead of chains, which might be preferred by some people for certain uses. I've found that they don't tend to hold on your shoe as nicely as the chain ones (comparing Hillsound and another plate-style with hillsound and kahtoola chain-style).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Headed for the Mountains

My wife has a blog post about microspikes on this page:
http://inabits.blogspot.ca/2014/01/s...fat-bikes.html

We like them and would recommend them for icy trails.
(Sorry about the huge pic size, that is the size blogspot saves them.)

Last edited by CraigH; 03-11-2015 at 11:41 AM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelo View Post
What do you find better about them?
Their "Trail Crampon Ultra" is an almost exact knockoff, and seems good, though the Kahtoolas appear to wear a little better to me.
Their "Trail Crampon" has the plates instead of chains, which might be preferred by some people for certain uses. I've found that they don't tend to hold on your shoe as nicely as the chain ones (comparing Hillsound and another plate-style with hillsound and kahtoola chain-style).
Stronger underneath compared to the Katoola spikes of 3-4 years, i snapped the metal link between front and back on third time of use, from the pic posted above it looks like they've modified the design to strengthen them.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeeto View Post
Stronger underneath compared to the Katoola spikes of 3-4 years, i snapped the metal link between front and back on third time of use, from the pic posted above it looks like they've modified the design to strengthen them.
Wow, that's crazy. Yeah, maybe it took them a little to figure it out, and the knockoffs were able to go straight to the bettered version?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

Thanks for the feedback all. I am pretty sold on the Microspikes. MEC is the closest store for me so I can swing by there first to see if they have any. I'll look into the other options after that.

Sorry Biffybee I think I'm a medium but to be sure I will check them out in the store for size.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Oh, and forgot to mention... as muskeeto pointed out... you can break them (have not seen it yet on Kahtoolas, but I have seen the cheap chinese knockoffs drop links...) so I would suggest a bit of wire... I have a couple feet of 16ga anodized aluminum wire with me on winter and summer trips... never know when you need to McGyver something back together

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

If you are looking for size XS, you will be hard-pressed to find them. I contacted khatoola and they said that the nearest distributor was MEC (wouldn't bring in size XS) and the next closest was somebody in Calgary.

I wanted some for my 6-yr-old, and ended up buying some from a guy near seattle sells them, and was satisfied.
http://www.theshutteredimage.com/contact.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page