Hanwag Alaska Insole Issues - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hanwag Alaska Insole Issues

Hi there,

I currently own a pair of 12.5 (US) Hanwag Alaskas. I have a low volume foot and my left foot is considerably shorter than my right (which causes all kinds of other issues which can be saved for another thread). I purchased a pair of Sole insoles based on the recommendation of our local outdoors store. I purchased the insoles for the main reason of bringing my foot up higher into the boot so my feet don't slip forward when hiking down a trail. Recently, I went on a longer hike than normal and coming down the trail, I had to stop every five minutes or so to give my feet a break as there was a "burning" feeling running up and down both feet. I can't afford custom insoles right now.

I would love some input regarding different insoles or ideas you may have regarding my situation.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I use Sole insoles in all my hiking runners and boots. I do find they take a few hikes to conform to my feet, I have never tried the oven trick. I am not sure I understand the burning sensation you are experiencing but they can be a bit painful on my arches until they break in. I think this is a good thing as the arch support lasts for years, they don't seem to flatten out like other insoles I have tried.

Scott
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I purchased my boots in October of 2014 and use them on a weekly basis with the Sole's. I did use the oven technique. The burning sensation is bizarre - it feels like when you rub your bare feet on carpet. Maybe is a sock issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

I've had the burning sensation before as well and it was a while ago so can only guess it was from movement of the foot within the boot, and I do remember wondering if the sock's material might have compounded the problem.

Raising your feet inside the boot made me think of my Blundstones. They came sold with two pairs of insoles. Depending on how your feet fit, you'd use either one or both pairs of insoles. Having to use both pairs, it felt strange at first because since the heels are thicker than near the toes, the feet felt like they were on an awkward angle but after a while, they compressed enough to where I don't notice it.

Try and find an insole that is relatively uniform thickness from front to back and if you can't find them, use sandpaper to scrape down however much material you think is necessary from the heels of whichever ones you do get. Use duct tape to cover the rough surface on the bottom to protect it. Put any number of these underneath a regular hiking type insole and see what happens. If this is too spongy, I wonder if plastic sheeting (1/16 or 1/8"?) cut to fit would work. This could go under one pair of regular hiking insoles. Footbeds are usually pretty hard anyway. Roughen up the top and bottom surfaces so they grip better and duct tape the edges so they don't rub and tear the inside of your boots when moving. Take them out every now and then to make sure the duct tape is still there.

This should all be qualified with saying that how well your feet are working will affect your body higher up: knees, hips, back... so it goes without saying if any of the above doesn't feel right, try and see a sports orthotics pro about this. Good luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

That is great! Thank, Hemlock. I will try some of those suggestions.

General hiking boot question for you... No matter how tight I do up my boots, my feet always slide forward into the front of the boot when walking down hill. I am consistently having to stop and wiggle my foot back and proceed down the trail. A larger insole maybe??

Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone is appreciated.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Just a quick reply but we would be happy to try and get your boots to be more comfortable if you are down for a trek into Vancouver? We have worked with Hanwags in the past and found the Alaska to be not the best fit for someone with a lower volume foot.

Shoot us an email at info (at) ajbrooks (dot) com OR call us toll free at 1-866-719-6072 to set up a time! We have a few tricks up our sleeve that may help without going to a custom or expensive insole!

We are at our warehouse location in the mornings and our kits location on 4th ave most of the day! Happy to help if you want it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page