Car discussion - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Car discussion

Hey everyone,

I live in Victoria. After getting another flat this weekend trying to get to arrowsmith, I think I need to replace my 09 hyundai accent with an actual capable vehicle.

I am getting a bit into analysis paralysis with this. I will keep my Accent for running around town in, but would like to get a vehicle that's better at handling logging roads as well. This is an accesibility issue as my accent can't really handle too much on the island.

What are some suggestions? One of the issues I am having is fuel economy. On the one hand, it's a fairly long drive to strathcona, or really anywhere from vic, which makes getting an xterra pricey due to gas, but a lot of the logging roads aren't maintained and can provide difficult access for a crossover.

What should I start by looking at? I have heard good things about the Ford Escape. Of course the 4 runner is great but they are fairly over priced due to their popularity. Xterra is a tank that will get me anywhere, but 10L/100KM gives me pause. It would cost 70-80 bucks to get to and from strathcona.

Price isn't a really big issue. Obviously I don't want to spend 50K or anything like that, but 20-30K is no problem. Less than that would be even better.

Not really interested in trucks. I have no need for the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Most logging roads are well maintained unless they are abandoned or deactivated therefore I can get around on my RAV4. Just make sure the tires are good. It appears that SUV crossover type vehicles all suffer from poor gas mileage therefore I sometimes envy trail/dirt bikes because of their greater accessibility in the backcountry.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I am a big fan of my rav4 as well which has AT tires. Others will say the rav4 doesn't have enough clearance or power but I have never once had an issue. Others will say only modified Jeeps can go on logging roads.

I suggest using google and searching for "Clubtread which 4x4 to buy" or something like that as this discussion has come up quite a few times.

My opinion is anything with AWD/4x4, a little extra clearance with decent tires will do the trick.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

All I can say is that I really enjoy my Xterra.

Yes it is harder on gas (12.6l/100km for the PRO-4X vs 8.2l/100km with the RAV), so you are going to be spending $25-$30 more on a trip to Strathcona. However the Xterra also has 3 extra inches of ground clearance and is a true body on frame 4x4 (with 4-lo and a rear locker).

The Xterra will definitely take you more places, but that only makes a difference if you plan to actually go to those places.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Summit Master

get a dirtbike and haul it there on a light trailer, or get your licence and buy a road legal enduro for on/offoad use, cheap on gas/insurance and easy to park at home (in most cases) when not needed, for 5-10k will get you a real nice ride and licence.
Trackers are still the best bet for moderate off road use and decent mileage, cheap to maintain too.
alpalmer likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: sharing and gaining knowledge

Subaru Forester is one of the best 4x4 SUV on the market. It has a flat boxer engine that is meant to lower the center of gravity of the car to navigate better off road. Also the Suzuki Grand Vitara could be a good option.

Subaru Forester:

Suzuki Grand Vitara:

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Summit Master

in real live both cars will likely take body and or cosmetic damage I those situations as shown above.
Bumpers on Subarus have always been a major hinderance, even though the vehicles are quite capable. Grand Vitara is a good package but mileage is suffering, but not as drastic as other V6 SUVs in comparison.
guntis and Dru like this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixwings View Post
but 10L/100KM gives me pause.
I would kill for 10L/100KM. How about 16L/100KM? Or 25L+/100KM when off road?! You want to save money on gas, buy a bicycle. You want to drive off road, then buy a real 4x4. If you just want something better than a car to drive same roads that cars drive, then get any CUV you like.

As for tires, whatever you get, you should strongly consider at least AT tires (yes, your mileage will go down again). Remember to not over inflate your tires, or they'll be popping like baloons. Better get a portable air compressor to inflate tires, so you could deflate them before going off pavement.
alpalmer likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinehiker View Post
Subaru Forester is one of the best 4x4 SUV on the market.
Subaru Forester is not an SUV, and it is not a 4x4. It is an AWD CUV. So in its class (AWD CUV), it's maybe one of the best. But in a real truck/SUV 4x4 class, it will be dead last against any 4x4 truck. It will be crushed in every single major off road category:

- tire size
- clearance
- articulation
- armor
- 4x4 system
guntis and alpalmer like this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: sharing and gaining knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
Subaru Forester is not an SUV, and it is not a 4x4. It is an AWD CUV. So in its class (AWD CUV), it's maybe one of the best. But in a real truck/SUV 4x4 class, it will be dead last against any 4x4 truck. It will be crushed in every single major off road category:

- tire size
- clearance
- articulation
- armor
- 4x4 system
Thx for the clarification. I always mix AWD with 4WD even though if i stop and think i know the difference. Yeah the Forester would always be crushed against a 4WD truck especially if equipped with a suspension lift kit. But the person who posted was interested in a off road SUV/CUV and not a truck so it was no point to compare it with a truck. My favorite off road machine is this:

muskeeto likes this.

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:23 AM
Summit Master

Arny's back
makes good points though.
if you got room and some finances, get a secondary trail vehicle, there just aint one vehicle that can do it all
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I have an Escape. Perfect vehicle for my needs, which sound similar to yours. Yes, it's a Ford, so it's really not anything special - but it has the clearance to handle bad roads and rough waterbars, the 4WD has handled everything I've thrown at it winter and summer, including some really steep low gear ascents on logging roads with loose rock, and it's remarkably reasonable on gas mileage. Additionally, Ford parts are nice and cheap when something breaks or wears out. Fuel economy was definitely not my priority, but has been a pleasant surprise.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:35 AM
Summit Master

Apinehiker

The above jeep is a great weapon and capable.
In real terms though its a gas guzzler with shown mods, and the good looks are quickly demolished in BC's true backcountry trails due to its large size, stance and long wheel base.
Body damage and getting hung up in tough terrain is to be expected. Tools and a GOOD co pilot will get you further than most though. JK's do suffer cosmetic damage on many trips as stated already.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

The Jeep Wrangler also trades a lot of on-road capability for its abilities off road (see Jeep Death Wobble)
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Agree with above comments.

For a cheap 4x4, I love the Suzuki Vitara (aka Chevy Tracker). It's a body on frame construction, with real 4WD, inexpensive maintenance, and can still parallel park downtown. Add a 2.5" lift kit and you can go anywhere. Its small size means you'll also fit through those alder tunnels and narrow spots. Sadly, 2003 was last year of production in North America.

If I was buying new, I'd be looking at the Xterra.

Last edited by guntis; 02-26-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page