Car discussion - Page 5 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
The trade-off is poorer on road manners. If solid axles were completely superior in every way then every vehicle would still be using them rather than the small niche that currently does.
No, the trade-off you said was death wobble. Death wobble is not classified as a "poorer on road manner", but rather as a completely undrivable condition.

Quote:
Show me where I have ever suggested that the Wrangler suspension be changed? Or that "if you buy a Jeep, you're gonna die". In fact I was firmly on the side of folks arguing against putting a IFS on the Wrangler. Again you seem to be having an argument with someone else. I even suggested that if the objective was a highly capable off road vehicle then the Jeep was the best option. Yet you're acting like I called your kid ugly.
Don't back out of what you said. Go read your first post, it's clear and precise. You suggested to not buy a Jeep with a solid axle, because you will get a death wobble, which is a "trade off", and not a neglect of maintenance. Forget about the Wrangler, you don't need it, and should not even care what happens to its axle. Go buy a Forester instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
Forget all these crap vehicles. This is what I want!

I am pretty sure no one here would drive this thing off road. They'd be too paranoid about its first pinstripe.
post #63 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:44 AM
Summit Master

Arnold

I would take that one anywhere and beat on it, cause if I had enough money for such a modded one, I'd likely have another stock one as back up and likely a few other rides in the garage. certainly aint a daily driver, but the vid makes it out to be..

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 03-02-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Summit Master

heres some vid to go with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc7V7YPSwyg
post #65 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Summit Master

and unless you aint towing a trailer and other luxuries with your 4x4, you aint even serious about goin places
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k

getting a bit off topic here for OP, I d simply suggest a light, small 4 cylinder Rav4, tracker or CRV, with a bit of skill, these can tackle a fair bit of terrain.

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 03-02-2015 at 01:35 AM.
post #66 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:39 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I'll see your creek crossing video with a pic.

Alder Creek Crossing, Mush Lake Road, Kluane National Park, Yukon.
post #67 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I have been contemplating an electric or gas powered mountain bike for backroad travel. Since gates seem to be closing more and more it makes an easy to carry and store way to travel.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
post #68 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:54 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
I am pretty sure no one here would drive this thing off road. They'd be too paranoid about its first pinstripe.
True, for those of us with regular incomes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra
I would take that one anywhere and beat on it, cause if I had enough money for such a modded one, I'd likely have another stock one as back up and likely a few other rides in the garage. certainly aint a daily driver, but the vid makes it out to be..
...but we can dream!
post #69 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:57 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
The company in Kamloops that does the conversions is calls them Clydesdale, I've never talked to someone that owns one of their vans though. http://www.sportsman4x4.com/clydesdale/

Most of the 4x4 vans with an RV packages in the US are built by Sportsmobile, although GTRV has done the RV conversion to a few 4x4 vans.

Ours doesn't have much of an interior, but looks somewhat different now. (The pics I posted above are from when we bought it.)
Ken's Shop in Squamish is doing something similar. It's a pretty impressive project.
post #70 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat22 View Post
I have been contemplating an electric or gas powered mountain bike for backroad travel. Since gates seem to be closing more and more it makes an easy to carry and store way to travel.
Yes, I've pondered the same as well, but not having tried them before I wonder if they would be underpowered on rocky and rutted logging roads, and with the extra load of an overnight pack.
post #71 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra View Post
heres some vid to go with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc7V7YPSwyg
Meh. Who is going to drive this fast anyway? How about they show it climb waterfalls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3dT3O9v3nY
post #72 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
Yes, I've pondered the same as well, but not having tried them before I wonder if they would be underpowered on rocky and rutted logging roads, and with the extra load of an overnight pack.
I think, actually, that's where they excel. Torque is not an issue with higher end electric motors. I have tried 2 "ebikes". One was an older generation and was just ok. The second was a "bionix" brand and was a real step up and I was zipping up New Westminster's steepest hills with zero effort. Now there are motors, batteries, and controllers that exceed the specs of the bionix. I think a hardtail with fat tires would be almost as good as a small dirtbike. There are some good YouTube vids of these higher end bikes.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
post #73 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
I'll see your creek crossing video with a pic.

Alder Creek Crossing, Mush Lake Road, Kluane National Park, Yukon.
Ok, Ok ... even if Arnold will hate us for it.... that 4x4 van conversion is giving me serious off-road wedgies ....

ballpark cost of one of those babies?
post #74 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Ok, Ok ... even if Arnold will hate us for it.... that 4x4 van conversion is giving me serious off-road wedgies ....

ballpark cost of one of those babies?
An old one with a rusted out body (basically value of 4x4 drivetrain parts to move to another van) starts at about $1500US.

To get a brand new Sportsmobile you are looking at ~$140K.

Huge range, but depends on what you want.

Recently I had to fight with ICBC not to write mine off when it was side swiped when parked.

I gave them a bunch of comparable ads from the US that showed it would be somewhere between $10-15K US to replace mine, but it would be tough as it has the 7.3L PSD. Gas vans are cheaper and easier to find.

They do occasionally come up for sale in Canada, but a lot more are available in the US. I bought mine down there and imported it in 2007. (If anyone is importing a vehicle, I have a blog page up with details of the steps I used.)

Edit: Since you are on the SSC, the Adventure sports store in Davis Bay (beside IGA) has the yellow 4x4 van they use to shuttle people up to Dakota ridge. Maybe take a look at theirs to learn about them. Not sure who built theirs.

Last edited by CraigH; 03-02-2015 at 05:44 PM.
post #75 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: sharing and gaining knowledge

Forget about 4WD when you could get 6WD instead,well that if you sell your house or win the lottery.

Mercedes Benz G63 AMG 6x6:

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8thaIMJd1Rg

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page