Car discussion - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Based on your "explanation" it should be easy enough then to produce this effect on any vehicle, as they all have "Wheels, Axles and Shocks".
No, based on your misunderstanding of my explanation.

Quote:
In this situation the axle isn't "acting as a shock absorber" because the solid design doesn't really attenuate the oscillations
I never said it was a good shock absorber.

Quote:
I've never claimed that there are flawless vehicles
So why are you picking out faults? Just deal with the fact any vehicle can have faults.

Quote:
I thought you said this wasn't a flaw or problem
Go reread what I said.

Quote:
"Trade off - A situation that involves losing one quality or aspect of something in return for gaining another quality or aspect."
OK. Let's see... I gained a ton of articulation, and I don't have and never had a death wobble for years. Where is the trade off? Let me tell you where it is: in your head.

Quote:
Chrysler also admits that it's a design trade off and was seriously considering introducing an independent front suspension on the 2017 Wrangler (just like they have in every other model of Jeep). This of course had many in the Jeep community up in arms, as they are willing to "trade off" the increased risk of speed wobble
It's not even a question of trade off to the Jeep community. It is simply one of the things that can go wrong and would need to be fixed, if it ever does. You're blahblahling like a complete, paranoid, uneducated lunatic. Please, just go buy an "every other model of Jeep" that your people have already ruined, or any other vehicle with an IFS. Leave the Wrangler alone, it was never meant to drive people like you to malls.
Arnold is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 11:42 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PNW
Posts: 8,494
Default

and that's the way the cookie crumbles...
Aqua Terra is offline  
post #48 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Whistler, BC, Canada.
Posts: 368
Default

I think someone's more interested in being right than being helpful.
Big Ian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Delta, British Columbia, Canada.
Posts: 137
Default

Hey Arnold, just curious, you ever drive a vehicle that experience death wobble?

Did you fix it?

Or did you pay a shop/mechanic to fix it?

Just wondering why you are wound up about this known issue with 4x4s with solid axle front suspension?
CraigH is offline  
post #50 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Delta, British Columbia, Canada.
Posts: 137
Default

For those that don't know what we are talking about (death wobble), check out this Ford truck video, jump to 1:10 to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EuQ6f8rgT4

Jeep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiv23dLhMY

Dodge truck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LaMXupbfdA

Last edited by CraigH; 03-01-2015 at 11:43 AM.
CraigH is offline  
post #51 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Smurf Village, BC, Canada.
Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things
Posts: 2,451
Default

Forget all these crap vehicles. This is what I want!
kellymcdonald78 likes this.
guntis is offline  
post #52 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PNW
Posts: 8,494
Default

I would have to agree that it always boils down to mileage of vehicle, lack of maintenance on worn suspension parts, bad tires, lift or leveling kits that are inferior and or poorly installed etc,




Brand new, none of the vehicles with this type of suspension have this problem, as far as I am aware of anyways. Suspension work is expensive and most avoid it until they have a major problem.


I drive a lot of cars/trucks at the shop, and the sheer number of newer vehicles with sloppy steering and clunking suspension is quite concerning.










If only some have death wobble, and the guy with the same unit down the street does not, then it must be a set up or maintenance issue.
Aqua Terra is offline  
post #53 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Delta, British Columbia, Canada.
Posts: 137
Default

Funny thing is all the G Wagons you see running around Metro Van look like this:



I would be worried about cracking a rim driving it up a FSR due to the low tire sidewall height.

Last edited by CraigH; 03-01-2015 at 12:35 PM.
CraigH is offline  
post #54 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PNW
Posts: 8,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
forget all these crap vehicles. This is what i want!


i like
Aqua Terra is offline  
post #55 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PNW
Posts: 8,494
Default

20 inch wheels and 35% sidewall is where its at! hehe.
That yellow one is quite modded, prolly close to 100K
Aqua Terra is offline  
post #56 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Off the Beaten Path
 
kellymcdonald78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
No, based on your misunderstanding of my explanation.

I never said it was a good shock absorber.
No, based on your incorrect explanation.

The very reason that solid front axle vehicles can experience this issue, is precisely because the front axle DOESN'T act as a shock absorber (as it would on an IFS vehicle). If it did, then you wouldn't get the positive feedback loop that causes the problem.
Quote:
So why are you picking out faults? Just deal with the fact any vehicle can have faults.
Did I kick your dog or something? There seems to be this other strawman person you're having an argument with. No where have I said there is a vehicle without faults.

This whole discussion started with me pointing out the pros and CONS of several vehicles that were being discussed. The Forrester will be much better on gas, but have less capability off road. Xterra is a pig on gas. Jeep is most capable, but has poorer on-road manners. Which one is right is entirely up to what you plan to use the vehicle for.

Quote:
Go reread what I said.
Mr Pot, please meet Mr Black

Quote:
OK. Let's see... I gained a ton of articulation, and I don't have and never had a death wobble for years. Where is the trade off? Let me tell you where it is: in your head.
The trade-off is poorer on road manners. If solid axles were completely superior in every way then every vehicle would still be using them rather than the small niche that currently does.

Quote:
It's not even a question of trade off to the Jeep community. It is simply one of the things that can go wrong and would need to be fixed, if it ever does. You're blahblahling like a complete, paranoid, uneducated lunatic. Please, just go buy an "every other model of Jeep" that your people have already ruined, or any other vehicle with an IFS. Leave the Wrangler alone, it was never meant to drive people like you to malls.
Show me where I have ever suggested that the Wrangler suspension be changed? Or that "if you buy a Jeep, you're gonna die". In fact I was firmly on the side of folks arguing against putting a IFS on the Wrangler. Again you seem to be having an argument with someone else. I even suggested that if the objective was a highly capable off road vehicle then the Jeep was the best option. Yet you're acting like I called your kid ugly.
kellymcdonald78 is offline  
post #57 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path
 
kellymcdonald78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixwings View Post
I had heard those rumours. I was thinking of going for a 2010-2012 xterra. New ones lose value really quickly so I think it will give me better bang for my buck. According to KBB it's a lot cheaper for xterra in that year than 4runner/wrangler.
2010+ are generally where you want to be. They fixed the SMOD issue in 2009 model year (only impacted automatic transmission models) and the engine relay issue in 2010 model year.

I mainly went for the 2014 as they introduced heated leather seats in the PRO-4X which is really nice on those early winter morning drives out to the mountains
kellymcdonald78 is offline  
post #58 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Posts: 2,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
Funny thing is all the G Wagons you see running around Metro Van look like this:



I would be worried about cracking a rim driving it up a FSR due to the low tire sidewall height.

it is not comfortable sitting inside when driving on highway

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
mazeGirl is offline  
post #59 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PNW
Posts: 8,494
Default

did it have horse cart wheels like the black one in picture? or factory set up?


vehicle these days seem to have this old world wheel trend now, all wheel, no tires, wonder how the death wobble on this one is??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37408_1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	23513  


Last edited by Aqua Terra; 03-01-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Aqua Terra is offline  
post #60 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
Hey Arnold, just curious, you ever drive a vehicle that experience death wobble?

Did you fix it?

Or did you pay a shop/mechanic to fix it?
No, never. I work on my Jeep myself and don't trust anyone to tighten my nuts.

Quote:
Just wondering why you are wound up about this known issue with 4x4s with solid axle front suspension?
Because I'm allergic to bullshit and brainless zombies that go and spread it around.
Arnold is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1