Taiga Works Sleeping Bags - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dru

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Taiga Works Sleeping Bags

I've been looking for a warmer winter bag and found Taiga Works online. The prices seem too good to be true and there is very little information I have found on their products.

Most of the reviews are quite old now. A lot are positive, but a passing comment about their dropping quality has me wondering.

Does anyone use their gear who can compare old and new products? Anyone use their sleeping bags and can say the quality is high? I want something that will last for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 07:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I have an older down sleeping bag from Taiga which I think is somewhere between 10 to 15 years old...still good but it needs washing. I think it's good down to -15*C but it's quite bulky when compressed. One thing I like about Taiga is that it is Canadian Made however I noticed that Taiga does not seem to publish negative reviews on their site. They moderate all reviews.
I also like Western Mountaineeing bags...good quality.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

I believe you will need good bag for winter. Taiga will make your nights "survivable" but not very comfortable. I know funds are always problematic.

It is easy to say go and buy Western mountaineering (very special products) or Feathered Friends but if you are very active in winter, you will have to. Solo75 is right.

I usually cut on my summer stuff, lifestyle in the city and invest in winter gear. It hurts financially but pays off later in the tent or snow cave.

One more thing ...

It is difficult to borrow bags to try them, because many of mountaineers treat sleeping bags as personal gear (like underwear). But maybe you could ask some people in club or on the trip. Buy one cheap bag liner (silk or cotton).

I personally would give my bag to friend to use (and my liner). I have Valandre bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Had a -30 Taiga bag I sold because it was too warm (never zipped it up even with -16oC outside the tent). Maybe 6 years ago I bought their -20oC bag with dryshell instead which is a better temperature fit for me. I like it and its in great shape, but we don't winter-camp that often anymore and I have no idea what their newer bags are like.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the responses. I have a MEC bag that is good down to -10C. I compared the fill weight of the Taiga -30 bag to the MEC and Western Mountaineering bags in the -30C range and they are approximately the same. So the bag should be good around the same temperatures given the modest/real temperature rating.

I am mostly concerned about quality and if it will last and if they have a good warranty. I am waiting to hear from them on warranty.

I have considered the Western Mountaineering and MEC bags but Taiga is 200-300 dollars cheaper. That is quite significant, although perhaps not worth it if I can't be sure the bag will hold up.

I feel the same about lending bags so don't really ask anyone and am staying away from second-hand.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Any other thoughts on their bags? I did find a lot of Amazon.com reviews of their other gear, only a few sleeping bag reviews but everything seems above 4.5/5 stars.

I, however, don't like what they said about warranty. 'It's guaranteed for the life of the product.' That seems a bit like saying it's guaranteed until whenever it wears out, giving them the opportunity to turn any warranty down. Although I have not read of warranty issues with bags.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotia craft View Post
I, however, don't like what they said about warranty. 'It's guaranteed for the life of the product.' That seems a bit like saying it's guaranteed until whenever it wears out, giving them the opportunity to turn any warranty down. .
Some people have complained about that...when the life of the product goes then the warranty is void but how does one determine how long a product will last?
MEC has a better warranty.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I'd buy the Thor. It's $100 more, but is a well known and respected product that has been proven to be true to it's temperature rating and is backed by MEC.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Plus, the Taiga Works dude is weird. Financially supports antisemites, has a book section full of "how to cure AIDS through prayer", stuff like that. That type of business is best avoided, IMHO.
russellcoffin likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Anything Alpine related, running, computers, fly fishing, chatting.

Taiga was the Arc'teryx of Vancouver back in the 1980's and early to mid 90's. I still wear my Taiga Gore-Tex jacket back from the early 2000's and I haven't had a single issue with the jacket not protecting me from the rain. I can't comment about the curent Taiga gear and I know that Taiga doesn't use Gore-Tex for their jackets anymore.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Plus, the Taiga Works dude is weird. Financially supports antisemites, has a book section full of "how to cure AIDS through prayer", stuff like that. That type of business is best avoided, IMHO.
whoa.... that post freeked me out a little, and I went back to MEC for a 3 season (flippable) MEC Oasis. Made in China...
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2021, 05:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Wow, the discussion about Taiga Works has really dried up! They recently moved to a new location near the Ironworkers (2nd Narrows) Bridge in Vancouver. I recently received my 4th bag from them. Its a really nicely made bag, as always, but there is a glitch because the new bag doesn't mate up with their older ones for couples use, as the zippers are now slightly smaller. Waiting to hear if they have a solution.

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 07:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
I recently received my 4th bag from them. Its a really nicely made bag, as always, but there is a glitch because the new bag doesn't mate up with their older ones for couples use, as the zippers are now slightly smaller. Waiting to hear if they have a solution.
It appears Taiga have "upgraded" to smaller, more lightweight zippers than my older bags. They offered to "upgrade" mine too for $90 including shipping. Think I will pass on the offer but keep the bag because otherwise its still pretty nice and fits a temp range I'm missing.

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page