Backpacking and bail handle pots - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Backpacking and bail handle pots

My last trip I'd done a bit bit of cooking over an open fire (quite doable for beach camping), and wondered what thoughts on Bail handle pots are. I'm also planning on hitting the West Coast Trail next year, as well as other coastal hikes seeing as I live on an island. I just found that juggling the pot onto and off the fire with side handles was a pain.

Most backpacking pots these days are designed for stoves, so bail handles seem less common. Does anyone have any advice for (lightweight) campfire cooking? Would you use a light wire (i.e. bike brake cable) for suspension or just directly hang pots off sticks?

My largest pot right now is a 1L stainless Crappy Tire special, so I'm definitely looking at something a little bigger (for 2+ people). Currently eyeing the TOAKS 1600ml pot, 210g with lid, includes bail handle.

Thoughts, advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 05:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I tend to stack rocks to form one or more pockets off the side of the main fire that support the pot(s). Keep it packed with coals from the fire, heat regulation is easy like that. If a main fire isn't desired the same idea, flattish rocks tapered inward forming a firebox make a twig and stick fire much hotter than any small open fire can be.

Most pots won't object to two small holes drilled just below the rim to attach your own wire bail. Lifting it off with with a stick is fine, hanging for cooking is best with a longer wire and a substantial stick much higher up to prevent the stick from burning through and dumping your dinner.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Google Purcell trench packer grill. Really good piece of gear for cooking over fire while backpacking.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page