Which cell phone service in BC - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Which cell phone service in BC

I've been researching which cell phone to get, which cell phone company has rates that I can afford, and which one has the best coverage.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 seems like the best bet - it comes "free" with the plan I can afford (depending upon the carrier, $50+/month for 500 mins/ 500 MB data)

I've eliminated Rogers and Fido - they have pretty poor coverage in this area (the Kootenays). So that leaves Virgin, Telus, Bell, and Koodo.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with any of these carriers? I'm leaning toward Virgin Mobile, as they are the most affordable (and the least complicated, compared to Koodo and its weird "Tab" calculations)

Thank you

Edit: Thanks for all the advice. I ended up going with Koodo. It was a tie between them and Koodo for prices, but in the end, Koodo's reviews for better customer service won it for them. Oh, and watch where you go - the Koodo and Virgin kiosks offered much better deals than the other sellers of their services (ie: Booth, etc). Glad I shopped around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I don't think you'd get any better coverage than with Telus. I've been surprised by how wide reaching their coverage is for data and phone on the coast and in the Rockies. I'm ok with what they charge for the package I get, but that is an individual assessment.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

TELUS and Koodo are the same company, just different price points/markets served, network coverage would be identical FYI. I can't speak to best coverage in the Koots, but TELUS works great for me here on the Coast (including many places you wouldn't expect it to).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by splitboarder

TELUS and Koodo are the same company, just difference price points/markets served, network coverage would be identical FYI.
ditto that....my wife has Koodo and I have telus. Coverage is equal
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

My wife and I have Koodo, as others have said that is the Telus cheap brand. Coverage is the same. Their tab works great as you can tailor exactly what you want and don't want in your plan.

Prior to that I had Bell, they use Telus towers in areas where they don't have coverage so the total coverage is the same.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Banned

n/a

Last edited by Eryne; 11-30-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Koodo is Telus
Virgin is Bell
Fido is Rogers

Ignore the city providers.

Around the Olympics Telus and Bell combined their towers. They now jointly have the largest network in Canada.

Pick between Virgin and Koodo. Customer support is purportedly better with Koodo. Their tab structure is really not that complicated. Your device is either reduced by $150 (Tab150), $300 (Tab300) or $500 (Tab500). How is that complicated? Especially considering the shenanigans you get involved with on Term Agreements.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod
...Pick between Virgin and Koodo. Customer support is purportedly better with Koodo. Their tab structure is really not that complicated. Your device is either reduced by $150 (Tab150), $300 (Tab300) or $500 (Tab500). How is that complicated? Especially considering the shenanigans you get involved with on Term Agreements.

Maybe that is what it is where you are, but here it is No Tab, Tab Small, Medium, or Large; and then Heavyweight. I'll have another look at it, though.

On a side note, I sure did appreciate your inspirational "How is that complicated?" comment.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

telus bell virgin and koodo all use the same towers in BC in senoirity order with telus first bell second, virgin third.kooodo can you he4ar me now.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Scaling New Heights

Koodo has been great for us. My wife has a $15 prepay (because her phone may as well be a paperweight) and I pay about $65/mo for unlimited anytime anywhere in Canada with a small data plan.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by omegarun

telus bell virgin and koodo all use the same towers in BC in senoirity order with telus first bell second, virgin third.kooodo can you he4ar me now.
So there may be issues with dropped calls or low signal strength for Koodo?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I use Bell and an LG Nexus 5 which with some fanagaling I got free with my contract. Great phone and as a bonus it comes unlocked, so you can swap SIM cards no problems if you like. Very handy for American and overseas travel.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Summit Master

Stay away from Bell. Worst company I've ever dealt with. Most dropped calls of all of them. Half my calls don't even come through to my home in central Vancouver in a wood frame house. The ones that do come through are often dropped. Their customer service philosophy seems to be "always blame the customer."
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

[quote]Originally posted by Hemlock

Here're some coverage maps:

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/suppor...rage-maps.html
http://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/...verage-map.jsp
http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Coverage_map
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless_network

These are always informative threads. Some day the ol' flip phone will bite the dust.
[/quote

This a great and helpful post..

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page