quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlock

Here're some coverage maps:

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/suppor...rage-maps.html
http://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/...verage-map.jsp
http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Coverage_map
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless_network

These are always informative threads. Some day the ol' flip phone will bite the dust.
This a great and helpful post..

K
Well yes and no. You can't rely on coverage in heavy forest, canyons, etc. For ex., North Vancouver above the powerline trail, coverage is spotty and usually weak.
Coverage has been improving on the North Shore.

Last edited by RGB; 02-02-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

You need to be certain your carrier has the best coverage in the area you spend most of your time. As well, the "junior" carriers have just as good coverage as their more mature parents, from my experience, and for some reason, I find Fido is much more responsive and approachable than Rogers was...
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by msulkers

You need to be certain your carrier has the best coverage in the area you spend most of your time. As well, the "junior" carriers have just as good coverage as their more mature parents, from my experience, and for some reason, I find Fido is much more responsive and approachable than Rogers was...
Not to mention that Fido charges about ten to fifteen dollars less per month for what is essentially the same plan. I'd switch to them in heartbeat, except for the fact that they have the same coverage as Rogers. And that is pretty poor in this neck of the woods. Entire towns are missing from their coverage map here in the Kootenays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Quote:
quote:Not to mention that Fido charges about ten to fifteen dollars less per month for what is essentially the same plan. I'd switch to them in heartbeat, except for the fact that they have the same coverage as Rogers. And that is pretty poor in this neck of the woods. Entire towns are missing from their coverage map here in the Kootenays.
I made the switch, but based on the understanding that Rogers/Fido had significantly better coverage of the mountainous terrain in our area. One has to go with a provider that has the appropriate coverage for their area. Fido is much less expensive than Rogers for the service provided...
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Can't beat telus and their infrastructure.

post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Can't beat telus and their infrastructure.
You can beat their ongoing, never gonna stop it seems, use of pristine looking animals in their marketing, though. Sorry, off topic.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Summit Master

I have a funny feeling I posted this once before on a similar thread. If coverage is your priority and important to you as opposed to price point then get enough tools to evaluate that and if neccessary contact Industry Canada for assistance and stress that you are looking for more concise and accurate coverage maps.
Here is a tool you can use for tower positions.
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of economy Service providers piggy backing on a major is that the coverage may be identical but call and connection priority is tiered giving the majors first connection priority over the budget providers. Top Tier for all being emergency calls 911 etc. This is how it was explained to me by a SCADA tech with the Govt of Alberta.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page