WHY do we need Goretex in leather boots? - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Summit Master

So I own a pair of the notorious Leather+Goretex boots and I am in a bit of quandary.

I have excellent waterproofing for the leather part - my trusty Grangers Paste Wax. What should I use to waterproof the Goretex part?

These are the shoes - Keen Bryce Mid WP Light Trail Shoes

These new boots were very comfortable during a recent 320+ km walk across England on the Coast-to-Coast route, and served me well in dry and wet conditions. However, now that I have cleaned off the mud and want to wax them for new adventures, I am not sure what to do about protecting the waterproof quality of the Goretex part of the shoes. As you can see, the meshing is quite extensive and I want to make sure my boots remain comfy for years to come.

Thanks for any and all good ideas --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:45 AM
High on the Mountain Top

The gore-tex is on the inside, so if you want to protect it, you should probably worry more about your foot or insole wearing a hole in it (or perhaps more likely, from repeated flexing of the boot etc). But likely the mesh could be "waterproofed" somehow to prevent it from absorbing water, which would help the breathability...

I'm pretty sure I have seen bottles of product for "fabric + leather" or something like that...
post #48 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains

People are mindlessly fixated on Gore-tex and the boot manufacturers know it; I swear they'll be putting it in sunscreen soon.

Gore-tex has its place, but the day cows leak is the day we need it in a boot. I can attest to the value, comfort and durability of a one-piece leather boot and with the leather taken care of properly the sole will wear out before the leather does.

I'm looking to replace my Scarpas that have served me well for over a decade, however, what I see is what appears to me at first glance to be a boot wasteland. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

rant over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 AM
RGB
Banned

My previous pair of Vasque boots lasted about a year until the GoreTex started to fail.
The GT in the current pair of Keens lasted longer but has started to fail too. I use the Sno-Seal product which works well for snow and wet trails.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 01:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
My previous pair of Vasque boots lasted about a year until the GoreTex started to fail.
The GT in the current pair of Keens lasted longer but has started to fail too. I use the Sno-Seal product which works well for snow and wet trails.
Where the heck do you get snow seal nowadays? The places I've gone don't carry it.
post #51 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
Where the heck do you get snow seal nowadays? The places I've gone don't carry it.
I have picked it up within the last year or so at Calgary MEC.
post #52 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Calgary MEC may have some really old stock?

About 5 years ago I couldn't find any at Vancouver MEC, nor was it listed online. So I bought three big jars at 3Vets, that'll do me for a while. First one is mostly done.

Just checked, MEC online does not think "sno seal" is something you can buy. Great stuff BTW, but far too economical for any properly managed business to stock. Customers WILL buy something, so only stock the high margin brands. I'm sorry MEC, but the only reason I can conceive of to not carry it is to drive sale of less effective but far more profitable items.

At least the local independent small business (3Vets) still carry it, I saw it there in the spring, so I didn't need to worry and stock up. Not that it goes bad.
post #53 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
Most ranch stores down here carry it. Try the co-op.

Bring back Jim.
post #54 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 PM
RGB
Banned

Quote:
Amazon, EBay. Gorilla Surplus (E Van.),
But this SP thread on which brands of waterproofing to use, and whether to use on Goretex, is worth reading.
trick likes this.
post #55 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 PM
RGB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness_seeker View Post
You are probably right, although my heel was quite snug going up, and on the flat. I would't have wanted them any smaller. They were the best fit out of the dozens I tried on in about 6 shops. The other ones were all huge in the heel and short in the toes. But in the ones I had I felt the material allowed the foot to slide from side to side even though they were sturdy-ish Scarpas. I am in the UK at the moment so I am going to see if I can get Meindl light hikers which are unavailable where I live.

I also wasn't a big fan of feeling the pointy rocks through the soles though.
If your heel is sliding around in the boot then it could partly be not enough socks or too thin socks, or the kind of sock: I find if I wear a smooth synthetic type of sock my heel will slide around, but changing to wool or heavy cotton sock solves the problem.
post #56 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Love my Vibergs.
http://workboot.com/collections/feat...1-contractor-1

6 years and nicely broken in. I'll have to get them resoled soon. Wear them everyday. Made in Victoria
post #57 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I love my Vibergs. 6 years and going strong. Will need a resole soon. Wear them everyday.

Not as pretty anymore

Made in Victoria
post #58 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanuck View Post
Just checked, MEC online does not think "sno seal" is something you can buy. Great stuff BTW, but far too economical for any properly managed business to stock. Customers WILL buy something, so only stock the high margin brands. I'm sorry MEC, but the only reason I can conceive of to not carry it is to drive sale of less effective but far more profitable items.
We bring it in periodically when we run out of our typical stuff. Always have a tube or two of sno-seal on hand and more than happy to get some if we don't!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page