Arcteryx Needle 55+ replacement - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing
Default Arcteryx Needle 55+ replacement

I have had this pack for over 10 years now and it is becoming a bit unreliable. I am looking for something similar in size, maybe a little bit bigger. It has to carry skis and have a wet pocket for shovel, crampons and all that stuff. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

It will be very hard to find something like Needle 55 or my 65 now. I had 65 and since it is gone, the closest was Millet Expe 50+.
http://www.millet.fr/en/products/spr.../expedition-50

Arcteryx is always under high pressure to offer something new and revolutionary. So far they do good job in all departments but in backpacks they are going backwards. I just wish they can go back to basics again.

If RAB decide to make Apline55 it could be close. Maybe B size?
http://us.rab.uk.com/products/equipm...alpine-45.html

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Khamski 48?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I have been happy with my Osprey Variant 52. It certainly can get larger than 52 liters. I've used it on an overnight trip where my girlfriend was taking a daypack and I had a rope, small rack, 'pons, tent, stove, and -30 sleeping bag.

The only thing is that I have not tried diagonal ski carry with it. It A-frames quite well, but you'll probably need to use ski straps or something for a diagonal carry.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:14 AM
JP
Headed for the Mountains

My beloved Serratus Icefall finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and I replaced it with this:
http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-697/m...10+50131+50600

Seems like an ok overnight ski pack. Good ski carrying straps and extendable collar. No external pocket however for avi items and snow science kit. I rigged up the old shovel strap from my Icefall through the ice axe loops which I think will work.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Both Millet Expedition 50 and RAB Alpine look nice but do not have a snow pocket and are a bit too small. My daypack is Osprey Kode 42, a bit too close in size to anything under 50L. The Kode is good enough for hut overnighters but too small for 2-4 day tent trips.

Khamski 48 looks great. The 48 suggests it is not too much bigger than the Kode but pictures on google show what looks like a bigger pack. The tall size is listed as 53+10L. Is this your current pack Dru?

The Osprey Variant 52 is on my list already. I have heard really good things about it and Mr. Pebeto had it on Glacier Peak two years ago.

Deuter Guide is listed as 45 + 10L but does not have a snow gear compartment. I really like to keep the shovel, probe, snow saw and all that stuff in a separate pocket, despite the extra weight.

MEC Alpinlite 50 does not have the snow pocket either. I found the EOS 65 does have one but seems too big.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Martin, I've never used the current Khamski but I remember the original one (1999) fondly. The design has been around for a while, gets updated regularly with new/better/lighter weight materials and tweaks.

I do have a Khazri (discontinued), great pack, does everything. But no pouch for you. Also the top pocket is prone to slipping forward, exposing the opening. There are fixes for this but I would have preferred a fixed lid to a floating, like on the older Khamsin. I used a Khamsin for 10+ years until it was totally destroyed.

I have an Osprey Variant, the 38 L size and it's a bit too much. It's gotta be at least 50L. It's huge. I bet the 52 is enormous.

I also have a Quintic. Won it in a contest. I have been using it for ski and snowshoe trips and it's great for that, but it'd be hard to make this 38L pack run anything other than a single-night hut overnighter.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

I do have a Khazri (discontinued), great pack, does everything.
I have the Khazri 55, and it's the pack I use 90% of the time. Light enough for day trips, large enough for longer trips, and carries up to 20kg surprisingly well. Mine has a LOT of hard kms on it, and has held up very well.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Personally I can easily live without an external gear pocket, so I'd strongly consider the Nozone pack. It's the replacement for the Khazri, and a few friends have the pack, and it's a great unit. It's also about 300g lighter than the older Khazri.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page