Rab Meco or other synth/wool blends. Experiences? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Rab Meco or other synth/wool blends. Experiences?

So I'm coming to learn the disadvantange of thin merino base layers, i.e. once they're wet they stay wet. I don't mind this on day hikes as I can carry some spare dry layers, but with the several backpacks coming up in July I want to experiment with some other non-smelly, quick drying layers.

I've looked at and quite like the Patagonia Capiline layers, but also liked the sound of the Rab Meco layers which are 65% wool and 35% synthetic. They claim, and reviews back this up, to be quick drying, but how quick drying, could I spend a day hiking in the rain under my goretex and be dry again the next day?

The price is pushing me towards the Patagonia stuff, $54 per top instead of $90.

What baselayers would others recommend for exerting yourself on multi-day trips?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I have some OR blended layers (merino and synth) and I LOVE them. It's the best of both worlds in my experience. Warm when wet, dries quicker than wool, comfy like wool.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Hmm, I see the Outdoor Research Echo Duo L/S tops, but they're 100% polyester (I like the look of them though) am I missing the blended tops?

Edit: don't mind me, I've found them, 'Sequence' is the model or 'Dri-Release Wool' is the fabric, look good and cheaper than the Rab Meco, maybe worth an experiment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

"Polar Proof", a Nikwax product. Greatly help the moisture management of wool/fleece/fabric. Stuff absorbs less moisture, dries faster, more comfortable when wet. All the good things about wool get better.

I like wool!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I have had a Rab Meco layer for a couple years now. Certainly dries faster than my all merino base layers. In my opinion it performs similarly to Icebreaker's GT line at a lower price, but does pick up smell quicker and is maybe a tiny bit itchier (but still quite comfortable). I wear it lots on day-trips but opt for the icebreaker GT on multi-day trips. I think my favorite baselayers of all time are the Arcteryx Phase layers of various weights. Dry fast, handle smell better than any other synthetic I've worn and manage temp well.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Well, a combination of cost, availability and curiosity meant I went for the Rab Meco. So far so good, certainly seems to dry a bit quicker than my usual Merino. Will hopefully test under the waterproof soon.

The Icebreaker GT range seemed a little limited, and pricey, so I opted for the Rab. I couldn't find much OR stuff to buy in shops but will be visiting Portland soon so might try and find a couple of retailers there that stock OR.

Polarproof sounds interesting, I might try a few handwashes with it, just to see what happens.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Phase or the $10 Paradox stuff from Costco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I love my MEC, T2 and T3 base layers, I went with the hoodie top for both. It is made from Polartec Power Dry and treated with silver ions for smell control. The way the fabric is woven works amazingly well at pulling the moisture off your body and keeping it on the outer layers, It always feels quite warm and dry. I can use just the T2's and a pair of shorts for a rainy day Dewdney grind workout, down to about 0 deg. I combine T2's and T3's for a super warm base layer on really cold, low activity days in the winter. The material is light and stretchy, a tight fit works best for wicking.

Scott
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I'd searched Costco for the Paradox stuff but couldn't find it?? I saw on another forum that it is quite seasonal though, or is it a case of just looking into the stores to see if it's there?

Was looking forward to a good wet test hike on the North Shore today but I think the rain may just have stopped, d'oh!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page