Don't delete: MEC gift card enclosed - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Don't delete: MEC gift card enclosed

If you're like me and get too much email, watch for this from MEC: (I often don't read their emails because I don't do yoga, I'm not a hipster, I don't run - unless chased, and their ads make me feel like a geezer [] so I almost missed it)

"Don't delete: MEC gift card enclosed"

Instead of issuing dividend chqs they are emailing gift cards. There are instructions in the email if you'd rather have them issues a cheque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

THANK YOU

Had to search the gmail trash
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

Gift cards are great and all but they've taken our choice away with respect to how we can spend the dividend. Personal savings VS more consumption at the Co-op. Not a big deal personally, but it amounts to $4.5 million of guaranteed business from their perspective, or less, depending on how many people actually delete the email without knowing. And for those, I wonder if MEC will send out emails that won't go to the junk folder like mine did, to remind people they have a dividend in the form of an MEC gift card available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Got mine. Didn't delete. Woot!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Hemlock, for those of us who don't have a snailmail address that we regularly check, I find this quite preferable.
LG likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

For every gift certificate deleted to the trash, it's more money retained by mec. And every one cashed is still money retained by mec. And just one more reminder that the other chance at a $250 “carrot-on-a-stick” gift card awaits those that vote.

I'm not sure what others are getting, but my card is for $50. Funny, because in years past I would have likely spent thousands of dollars every year, but in the past two or three years, I probably haven't spent more than $50 in total. Why am I getting a share redemption?
susied likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hemlock; looks like cash is just a call away from the last part of the email:
"If you prefer, you can convert the gift card balance for your share redemption to cash by requesting that MEC mail you a cheque. To request a cheque, contact our Service Centre at 1.888.847.0770 between June 1 and October 31, 2014."
I-Wander likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I assume mine is lumbering towards me via snail mail (assuming I qualify for one, I'm not sure how it works).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

For every gift certificate deleted to the trash, it's more money retained by mec. And every one cashed is still money retained by mec. And just one more reminder that the other chance at a $250 “carrot-on-a-stick” gift card awaits those that vote.

I'm not sure what others are getting, but my card is for $50. Funny, because in years past I would have likely spent thousands of dollars every year, but in the past two or three years, I probably haven't spent more than $50 in total. Why am I getting a share redemption?
I just called MEC's Service Centre, thanks to this thread. I get hundreds of e-mails a day, so anything that looks like an advertising thing (even if from MEC at times), just gets deleted. So, I called them to confirm if I was sent an e-mail that I never read, and they confirmed that yes, one was sent to me. But, rest assured, if you got an e-mail and deleted it by accident, then a cheque will be issued to you on June 1st, and should arrive in the mail within two weeks after that. Works for me. They told me my dividend is $25. I've probably spent $3,000 - $4,000 there a year on average over the last 5 years and this will be my first dividend ever. Spent around $1,000 in the last month alone, so really no idea how they work out these numbers.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for bringing this up as it would have been easy to miss in my inbox!

I got $50 which is nice.

Curious about something: In past years when there was a payout, were the cheques calculated to a more precise value or were they always rounded to the nearest $25?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

Thanks for bringing this up as it would have been easy to miss in my inbox!

I got $50 which is nice.

Curious about something: In past years when there was a payout, were the cheques calculated to a more precise value or were they always rounded to the nearest $25?
I've heard of one person getting one for $15, so that's another amount that's floating around this time.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

In the past, when I was spending far more money at mec than in recent years, I might get a $322.50, or some such redemption... not every year, but more in line with my spending and never an even ammount.

It sounds like Barbara B has spent far more in the past couple of years ($3,000- $4,000 per year), than I have ($50 in two years)... Yet Barbara gets $25, while I get $50? WTF??

Are they giving more money to longer time members, than to newer members, or what? And if so, why?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

Are they giving more money to longer time members, than to newer members, or what? And if so, why?
I wonder if there might be something to that. I think I joined around 2007 or 2008. Or maybe the total payout this year is less than it was during previous payouts, so is still being divided up by all these members, which means everybody is getting less now. I also went back to do a more accurate quick estimate of what I've spent there, and the $3,000+ was really just in the last 3 years as I loaded up on full backpacking gear, tent, Western Mountaineering sleeping bags, mountaineering stuff, avy gear, AT gear, electronic gadgets, and the like. Amazing how quickly the place sucks oour money out of our pockets, but I guess for healthy purposes :-D. Hopefully now I have everything I'll need for the next two decades.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ClauS

Hemlock; looks like cash is just a call away from the last part of the email:
"If you prefer, you can convert the gift card balance for your share redemption to cash by requesting that MEC mail you a cheque. To request a cheque, contact our Service Centre at 1.888.847.0770 between June 1 and October 31, 2014."
Ah, thanks. I didn't read the finer print and thought it was all legal stuff a la 'may cause oily discharge'...

Honestly, the card doesn't bother me enough to want to get a paper cheque in the mail. I just wanted to point out what I mistakenly thought was a lack of choice.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Some explanation of the redemption methodology:

http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text....34198673220439

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page