Deuter Guide 45+ - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Deuter Guide 45+

So I'm looking to replace my trusty and well used Arcteryx Axios 50 with something a little more versatile. Great pack but it's really lacking any features that might extend it's use beyond pure backpacking like ice axe loops or other attachment points.

So I'm looking for a good versatile pack in the 45-55L range that I can use for a bunch of different types of trips across seasons. The Guide 45+ seems like a great option...

Thoughts on this pack from owners? Other recommends for an "all-mountain" pack?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I've read good things about it. My overnight pack is an Osprey Variant 52, and it is quite nice too. Slightly different features. The only thing that confuses me about the Guide is that I can't figure out whether the lid (brain) is removable or not. I assume it is, but their marketing pages don't say so.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Lid is removable (adjustable).

Pack is very durable (then it is not very light). I had it for a few seasons. It is one size pack, so better try it in the store. Measure your back and check size chart if you are buying online.

I found it small.
It doesn't look 45 liter when you start packing. But that is my problem. i always pack little more than I really need. If pack is "real" 55 it will be nice. I have now Millet Expedition 50 and it's much bigger than Deuter Guide 45.

http://vimeo.com/41614386
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Zoran

Lid is removable (adjustable).

Pack is very durable (then it is not very light). I had it for a few seasons. It is one size pack, so better try it in the store. Measure your back and check size chart if you are buying online.

I found it small.
It doesn't look 45 liter when you start packing. But that is my problem. i always pack little more than I really need. If pack is "real" 55 it will be nice. I have now Millet Expedition 50 and it's much bigger than Deuter Guide 45.

http://vimeo.com/41614386
My Axios 50 is 3,051 cu in space with the Guide 45+ coming in at 2750 + 610 cu in (3360 cu in total). I can easily pack in my Axios for 2-3 nights or more...beyond that I need to bring out my huge pack.

Is it that the Guide is somewhat tall/narrow? I don't mind attaching things to the outside of my pack if needed and if the stuff is secure and won't piss me off. That was something lacking on a pack like the Axios...I think from the specs the Guide would be enough for what I am after (2-3 nights tops)? Seeing is believing though...

I'd love to check it out in store but can't get it where I am right now. Might be an order and return if I decide to check it out in person.

The Gregory Savant 48 looks decent too...

http://ca.gregorypacks.com/products/.../303/savant-48

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

I grew up in Europe.
If you attach anything ON the pack, you can get beaten up by instructors, partners, guides, girlfriends, and most of your relatives. :-)

I like to put all inside the pack (except ice axe and skis).

However, if I need new ice axe, cell phone, bottle, jacket, helmet, jacket, gloves, thermarest I usually go to Mt. Seymour or other local hills and collect!

(Just kidding!)

Zoran
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Zoran

I grew up in Europe.
If you attach anything ON the pack, you can get beaten up by instructors, partners, guides, girlfriends, and most of your relatives. :-)

I like to put all inside the pack (except ice axe and skis).

However, if I need new ice axe, cell phone, bottle, jacket, helmet, jacket, gloves, thermarest I usually go to Mt. Seymour or other local hills and collect!

(Just kidding!)

Zoran
Generally speaking I prefer to have everything inside too - although attaching something on the outside can help if I need to carry those other 4 to 6 beers I just can't seem to find room for...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Off the Beaten Path

ph0n3y: The Savant looks more like the Axios than the Deuter pack. The ice-ax system doesn't look very secure, and I can't see a good way to carry skis.

The skinny form of the Guide is intended to make technical climbing easier by allowing you to reach behind you without the pack being in the way as much. Also, it moves the weight further up which makes for easier carrying, but balance is a little harder, so this shape is more common in a climbing pack as opposed to a ski pack.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trick

ph0n3y: The Savant looks more like the Axios than the Deuter pack. The ice-ax system doesn't look very secure, and I can't see a good way to carry skis.

The skinny form of the Guide is intended to make technical climbing easier by allowing you to reach behind you without the pack being in the way as much. Also, it moves the weight further up which makes for easier carrying, but balance is a little harder, so this shape is more common in a climbing pack as opposed to a ski pack.
Yeah nothing apparent on Savant for carrying skis/snowshoes. That pack is off the list. This is a good look at attaching gear to the Guide:

http://sectionhiker.com/deuter-guide...ckpack-review/

I especially like the ski/snowshoe attachment on the Guide. I don't do climbing (yet) but certainly the skinnier form factor would be attractive say for some general scrambling as well. I am definitely going for as versatile a pack as possible...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Have you looked at the Deuter 40+10 ACT? I have been using this pack for week long trips and it works great for my purposes.

http://www.deuter.com/US/us/backpack...33730-120.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

Have you looked at the Deuter 40+10 ACT? I have been using this pack for week long trips and it works great for my purposes.

http://www.deuter.com/US/us/backpack...33730-120.html
How is it when using the + 10 collar at the top say compared to a true 50L pack? This one is interesting to me with the vari-quick adjustment system - I usually am at the top end of a small/bottom end of a medium torso/pack size...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 07:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

I find it will hold that extra gear in the top end no problem.I used this pack for a 7 day hike up Athabasca Pass 2 years ago and itwas just fine. The adjustable harness is super simple to adjust, so I can borrow it to someone else very easily as well. This pack has seen some 50lb loads plus and has held up very well. The stiching is solid and the waist belt can be tightened on the fly, another nice touch. My only complaint would be that I wish the buckles were a bit more beefy.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

I find it will hold that extra gear in the top end no problem.I used this pack for a 7 day hike up Athabasca Pass 2 years ago and itwas just fine. The adjustable harness is super simple to adjust, so I can borrow it to someone else very easily as well. This pack has seen some 50lb loads plus and has held up very well. The stiching is solid and the waist belt can be tightened on the fly, another nice touch. My only complaint would be that I wish the buckles were a bit more beefy.
Thanks Darren - appreciate the info on this pack. Think I will order one - has all the features I'm looking for and reviews very well across the board. Cheers!

post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Glad to help.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page