MEC voting - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default MEC voting

So I just got my voting pamphlet in the mail this morning.

There are 14 candidates - of those 8 are 'recommended' by MEC as per last year's Special Resolution 1. This resolution has been discussed at length previously on CT. Rather than the usual method of listing election candidates in alphabetical order, the 'recommended' candidates are listed first, with the ones MEC management doesn't like being relegated to the rear.

There is something that makes me quite uncomfortable about being officially encouraged to cast my vote for the candidates selected by management.

It seems that the whole election itself is just there to present a Kafkaesque veneer of legitimacy of a predetermined selection, like one of those old communist eastern bloc rigged elections where the results are accidentally announced prior to election day!

Anyway - I think on the basis of the above I'm going to vote only for the candidates who aren't on the officially sanctioned 'recommended' list.

What do others think?
oplopanax likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rodin

So I just got my voting pamphlet in the mail this morning.

Anyway - I think on the basis of the above I'm going to vote only for the candidates who aren't on the officially sanctioned 'recommended' list.

What do others think?
I voted AGAINST every one of the MEC board-recommended special resolutions last year. However, the sheep followed blindly and they were approved handily. No surprise.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

You do realize there is nothing wrong with campaigning for one's own interest? If you want to follow their lead (or after gathering information choose another path),it's still a democratic system of voting. But to just blindly avoid anyone endorsed by the current executive would be the worst form of blind following the blind.
runningclouds likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by surreycrv

But to just blindly avoid anyone endorsed by the current executive would be the worst form of blind following the blind.
This. I recommend you vote for the candidates you, upon review, think will lead the Coop in the matter you desire.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Is there any way for us to find out how many (if any) people applied but were outright rejected?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Steventy, I think the answer to your question is here:

"Twenty-seven nominations were submitted. Eight were then recommended by the Board. Sixteen were to be included on the ballot but not recommended (ten subsequently withdrew their candidacy). Two were rejected as they did not meet the minimum qualifications (experience sitting on a board or senior management in a complex organization). One was rejected due to a conflict of interest."

See http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary...ominations.jsp
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks bluesky. I did not see that but it provides the answer I was curious about.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Some candidates "recommended" and others not, hmmmmm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 AM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Some RECOMMENDED are more RECOMMENDED than others. Strange alphabet.

Interesting how there are more recommended candidates than open slots.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tu

Some RECOMMENDED are more RECOMMENDED than others. Strange alphabet.

Interesting how there are more recommended candidates than open slots.
Lol, I was just about to point out the whole process is starting to resemble George Orwell's Animal Farm
oplopanax likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Summit Master

I'm wondering how many people will vote against the 'recommended' candidates just because they are 'recommended'.

-Ryan
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

I'm wondering how many people will vote against the 'recommended' candidates just because they are 'recommended'.

-Ryan
Not many. This tactic almost never fails to deliver the desired result. Which is why it was put in place to begin with. If MEC's members generally disliked this sort of manipulation they would not have passed the resolution allowing it. I think less than 9% opposed it, while it required a 75% majority to pass.

So far I've been wrong about an angle of this issue. I expected the MEC board would eliminate voting election of directors by reducing the number of candidates to the same as the number of open positions. That would allow election by acclamation without voting. So far that has not happened and it doesn't look very likely for the time being.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I voted against last years resolutions, after finding out as much as I could. Getting information in "laymens terms" was pretty difficult from MEC and I leaned on the opinions of past MEC Directors, that I know and people posting on Club Tread for advice.
I wasn't blindingly following anyone's advice, but rather trying to understand MEC's resolutions as a BLINDED CO-OP member... or maybe that should rather read BLINDSIDED member. MEC is using methods of voter "herding" that I feel should be considered illegal in a democratic society.

post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Summit Master

Well Gordie Howe called it "the mushroom treatment"-keep 'em in the dark and throw some manure on them once in a while
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Mick, you should post that in the hockey thread.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page