ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Gotta Love Gear (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/)
-   -   Looking for a new stove (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/46538-looking-new-stove.html)

wildtrekker 11-04-2013 04:13 PM

Looking for a new stove

I was just wondering what you use for a stove in the backcountry?

Ive been using the MSR Whisperlite for a few years now, and I usually use the same gear over and over and over again without trying anything new.

What else is out there that you would recommend? Something relatively light, durable is what I am looking for.
I have seen some of the stoves have the prefilled fuel bottles. Are they better than the fill-it-yourself MSR bottles?

Thanks in advance.

dougz 11-04-2013 04:35 PM

I use an MSR pocket rocket and the isobutane canisters.

I was a bit worried that it wouldn't work as well in winter because of expansion issues, but I haven't been out in cold enough weather for it to be a problem, yet..

If it does, yeah, I'd be looking at a Whisperlite.. :)

wildtrekker 11-04-2013 04:49 PM

Are the isobutane canisters refillable or just recyclable?

Seems like more baggage if you went on a extended backpacking trip carrying empty fuel cells.

dougz 11-04-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

quote:Seems like more baggage if you went on a extended backpacking trip carrying empty fuel cells
It is, no question..

But it is simple (no spills, no clogged lines or other parts to worry about) and cheaper in the short term..

I'm pretty sure they aren't refillable, but don't qoute me.. Also no idea if they are recyclable.. The few that I've emptied are taking up a corner of my shed.

dav1481 11-04-2013 06:52 PM

For the last four years, it's been a cat can stove with methanol for summer use. I make pretty simple dehydrated meals and don't boil extra water for coffee, etc. It did work well for steam baked muffins and cornbread.

Arnold 11-04-2013 10:09 PM

Most of the time I use the MSR Reactor. It boils super fast and totally windproof. Sometimes I bring the MSR Windpro, but that's only if I want to simmer, which is rare. I'd much rather prepare meals that only require boiled water.

Steventy 11-04-2013 10:43 PM

I like the simplicity, convenience and cleanliness of the isobutane canisters. That said, most of my trips are relatively short and I don't often need to melt that much snow. The isobutane canisters are not refillable.

I use the PocketRocket in the summer. I'm pretty sure that the pair of us made it around the entire Bowron Lakes circuit on a single large canister and still had some fuel to spare at the end. I think that was 4.5 days of cooking.

For coastal winter trips (not that cold,) I really like the MSR WindPro II. It lets you invert the isobutane canisters so they can run in liquid-feed mode. This allows you to use the isobutane canisters reliably at much lower temperatures. I highly recommend taking a look at this stove.

Aqua Terra 11-04-2013 11:22 PM

a few of the modern stoves can burn both canisters or regular white gas, after switching jet/tips or a variety of other fuels if needed in emergency

00skully 11-05-2013 02:48 AM

I bought an msr reactor recently and love it. It's a pre filled canister stove that is super efficient to to the built in heat exchange in the pot. If your on a trip that requires a lot of snow melting this things a machine! I still take my dragonfly on trips where I prepare real food, base camping or beach camping ect. but mostly I love the speed and ease of use of the reactor. Though as mentioned above it's not versatile at all, it only boils.
Check out outdoorgearlab.com, they great very thorough stove reviews.

kellymcdonald78 11-14-2013 01:39 PM

I picked up a Primus Omnifuel last year and have been really happy with it. It runs on just about anything (but I typically use isobutane canisters), it's very controllable (from simmer to blow torch), and only weighs in at 300g or so. The only downside is the noise, it is not q quiet stove

Marc 11-14-2013 01:49 PM

26 Attachment(s)
I'm a self-professed gear ***** and something of a stove junkie, I think at this point I own 8 different one-burner, backpacking stoves.

My questions would be:

How many seasons of the year do you plan on using it?
Are you just boiling water or do you want a stove that simmers?
How many do you normally cook for at one time?
What are the average length of time (or how many meals per trip) you'll be away for?

For just boiling water - Whisperlite or a JetBoil
For all season use on a stove that simmers and is a true multi-fuel (no switching jets required) - Optimus Nova
For easy summer use - Optimus Crux
First stove I ever bought - Coleman EasyLite
Newest stove in arsenal - BioLite

dougz 11-14-2013 01:54 PM

These look neat..

Little too heavy for backpacking, though..

http://www.workwearcanada.com/produc...m?product=1351

Aqua Terra 11-14-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by kellymcdonald78

I picked up a Primus Omnifuel last year and have been really happy with it. It runs on just about anything (but I typically use isobutane canisters), it's very controllable (from simmer to blow torch), and only weighs in at 300g or so. The only downside is the noise, it is not q quiet stove
I think I had the old vari fuel before, it was loud, now we use a gravity 2 for many trips and its way quieter, powerful and can sort of simmer or half boil without too much babysitting. Other times the pocket rocket is a favourite also.

BillyGoat 11-14-2013 06:16 PM

Popcan stove, aluminum wind screen/ stand and 1.3 litre titanium pot. Cost almost nothing to make and the combo weighs 200gr

johngenx 11-14-2013 06:23 PM

My three "go to stoves" (I have more...) are:

1. MSR Reactor. It's not for cooking. It's for boiling water, and lots of it, and FAST. It's a snow melting MACHINE that can't be matched. It's great for small groups, and the 2.5L pot is a great addition allowing it to service up to about 5 people.

2. MSR WindPro. Not as fuel efficient or as fast as the Reactor, but simmers amazingly well so I take this for gourmet cooking trips. The advantage over a "can-top" stove is the windscreen and ability to invert the fuel can. Near silent operation is nice. Bummer is heavier than micro-can-top stoves, but does more.

3. JetBoil. A competitor to the Reactor, but I use them differently. The JB is great for solo or two person trips. I almost always take it when I'm on my own, as the pot doubles as my cup. Boil up some water, pour it into the dehydrated food (in a pouch) and then make hot drink in it. I also toss the JB in my pack for day tours in the winter if we are planning a lunch break. Then I jab my ski in the snow, hang the B from the binding, and enjoy a hot bevvie during the break. The first time I did this, I had some SERIOUSLY jealous friends. Now they bring some tea or mix and we all enjoy a cuppa something...