Tarptent - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Tarptent

Hi folks,

Looking at a new 1-person tent/shelter. Really like the stuff from Tarptent. Trying to decide between a couple of the shelters they have (Moment DW, Notch, Contrail etc)

Anyone willing (I'm sure there will be ) to make suggestion, give a thumbs up/down etc to Tarpent or other similar lightweight shelters? Bug bivy with tarp is another option I've looked at as well to shave pounds...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

That is really all I have used for the past several years.

I have used the Contrail, still have a Rainbow and now exclusively use the Notch. I also had a Moment but was not keen on the condensation management of that design. It has now been discontinued for the double walled version, which I have only heard amazing things about.

I have found the Notch to be the best trekking pole tent I have ever used. Very stable, completely waterproof, excellent ventilation options, modular design and double walled, and no water entry when setting up in the rain. Dual vestibles and doors are a luxury but now I don't think I can do without them.

I wish I had something bad to say....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I love my Sharp 2 for its construction, versatility (can be used as a 4 season) and it's value. I'm Co sideline getting a Rainbow 1 as it also has 4 season capabilities and sleeps two in a pinch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks FG - another ringing endorsement of the Notch which is the direction I am leaning towards. Do you have the trekking pole adapters that allow you to pitch point down?

I am sure the Moment DW is more stable with the poles but there is the weight hit - ever been snowed on in the Notch? If so how did it hold up?

Cheers!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

I do have the attachments but never use them, LOL. I still put the tip of the pole down and the handles has never slipped yet.

As far as stability, I would argue that the Notch may be more stable than the poled Moment. There is no flex to my trekking poles or at least, substantially less than with a tent pole. Of note, the Notch also has upper guyline attachements where the pole end meets the fly (i.e. just above each side fly vent). Guying those out and the tent won't move. As opposed to my Hilleberg Akto (which is a similar design as the Moment). If I didn't use trekking poles, then I would get the Moment DW. But because I do, why not enjoy the 8-10 oz weigh savings?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Yeah good points - the extra guylines probably make it fairly rock solid. I always have poles along so I am of the same thought and would go for the weight savings with the Notch...

Thanks again! Think I will be putting in an order for a Notch!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Which inner are you going to get? I used the primarily mesh one but have switched over to the partial solid version to add some protection from convective heat loss.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I'm thinking just the mesh. I'm a pretty warm sleeper and am not looking at using during winter except for maybe occasional trip to the Stein and other low spots in colder months.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I have a tarpent Double Rainbow and love it, great tent.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

I just ordered the Moment, went for both inners as I will likely use it all year round, picked up the crossing poles for the same reason.
After my last 10 day trip, 8.5 of which it rained, I'm never going without 2 doors and 2 vestibules on a tent again. I wavered between the Moment, the Notch and the Scarp 1 before deciding on the Moment.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I'm looking forward to having 2 doors/vestibules as well.

Anyone need a MSR Hubba?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

why do you want 2 doors on a solo tent? I'm just honestly curious. I have the MSR HubbaHubba, and am extremely happy to have dual doors on my 2-man tent, so each inhabitant gets his own entrance and vestibule. But my 1-man tent has only one door, and since I am the only person getting in and out of it, it never occurred to me to want an additional door.
I can see why more vestibule space is generally nice, but what do you like about having a second door on a 1-man tent?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

One vestibule for gear storage and the other as an unobstructed entrance. It's also an added bonus for extra ventilation.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

why do you want 2 doors on a solo tent? I'm just honestly curious. I have the MSR HubbaHubba, and am extremely happy to have dual doors on my 2-man tent, so each inhabitant gets his own entrance and vestibule. But my 1-man tent has only one door, and since I am the only person getting in and out of it, it never occurred to me to want an additional door.
I can see why more vestibule space is generally nice, but what do you like about having a second door on a 1-man tent?
Yes, just as Billy Goat indicates. Unobstructed entry, lots of gear storage, ventilation options, etc. In addition, if you use just the fly portion in bug free conditions, it will easily fit two people and two doors work great.

It also allows a perfectly symmetrical shape, which can work well with stability. On the Notch, it adds only a couple of ounces to total weight so it is kind of like getting something for nothing....

post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

So...a friend of mine pointed out (quite correctly) a limitation with the Notch. If you are wanting to day-hike/scramble and take your poles along - that presents an obvious problem.

So I called up Tarptent this am to see if I could switch to the Moment DW. Turns out...my Notch already shipped. The person I spoke to on the phone was quite helpful and pointed me towards a pole set that can optionally be used with the Notch.

This will give me good flexibility depending on the trip. If I am always planning to move and no day-hiking/scrambling I can leave the extra poles at home and enjoy carrying a 26oz Notch. If I need my hiking poles - I can pack along the extra 8oz of support poles for the tent.

Have to say - I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page