High River gear flood - updates / comments - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default High River gear flood - updates / comments

My basement in High River has been flooded (not just the basement apparently...) and I'm just bidding my time until we are allowed in to assess the damage and start the cleanup.

So the soup my gear will be in will be a combination of muddy melt water, sewage, the contents of my freezer, etc. it won't be pretty but I'd like to rehab tents, sleeping bags, packs, stove, puffy jackets, etc if I can. No idea if I'll have insurance on any of this - regardless - like to save what I can. I have offers from some people to take that stuff away to do it for me while I do heavier lifting.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful. I might not be on much once I get word I can return so thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Off the Beaten Path

All eyes are on you folks out there wishing you the best of luck in reclaiming your land. Best thing I can think of is keep the gear very wet (put it in garbage cans etc) and don't dry it till washed.. Mildew and mould will cause problems with items that are only partially dry.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

You should be able to clean most of the non-porous items with detergent but they may require several washings. Porous items like sleeping bags and puffy coats may not be safe due to the sewage.

Take photos of anything you can't save.

I have some old gear you can have if insurance doesn't cover your lost gear.

Let us know if you need any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:29 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I dunno man..

I'd just take photos of it all and let the insurance cover it (I can't see why it wouldn't be covered, but who knows how good your insurance company is, coverage, etc).

I know you have bigger fish to fry, but let us know how you make out with insurance on the house and all that!

Finger's crossed for you!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Just looking for cleaning tips. Thx.

Re: insurance. I have coverage for sewer backup, not for flooding. Flood insurance nobody will have. How all that gets sorted is another part of the saga. I'm not rich, but I can replace what I need to, no point in chucking stuff that can be saved with a little work.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Shoot.. That's a shame..

What do you say? Really sorry this happned to you guys.. But glad everyone is safe, that's the most important thing..

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Scaling New Heights

I think you have a decent shot at saving your gear even if everything was sitting in 'flooded basement soup' for several days.

Re: tents and shells... Because of the possibility of sewage, I'd wash off everything off (i'd be concerned about wrecking the tent so i'd go with a gentle cycle or hand wash in the tub...) then set up your tent in the sun to dry it off and hang dry your shells.

There are nikwax products for goretex stuff but you might want to forego that and just go with a mild liquid detergent if your're washing a crapload of stuff at once. A laundry place might be the way to go to get stuff washed all at once... Plus they have bigger capacity / heavy duty washers. If you have friends are offering to try to clean some of this stuff I say go for it and take them up on it.

I've never washed down jackets or sleeping bags before but it might be viable to wash/dry as per normal instructions. I think it's pretty much wash down with a mild detergent/on a gentle cycle then air dry. Good luck with the clean up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing

Tents and packs - Bathtub Soak with Myrazime by Mcnett will help get out any smell then wash with mild detergent or nikwax tech wash. Set it up to let it dry completely but not in the sun it is bad for your tent fly, outside in the shade on a warm breezy day is the best.

Clothing- Like Trevbo said Laundry mat would be the place to go again mild detergent or nikwax then in the dryer for the gore-tex, hang dry synthetics and wool

Down- Again laundry mat side loaders are the best. Buy a down wash they are milder then detergents and will not strip the down of the natural oils which allow it to loft. Dry the down in a big side loading dryer with tennis balls or rolled up socks until any clumps are gone.

Clean your stove with white gas, clean the pump and re lube any o rings.

You should be able to save all your gear, let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to help.

Hopefully the water drops quickly.

Mike
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Summit Master

Clayton , I was in your neck of the woods last summer. Looking at the videos on pictures of the flooding blew me away. My thoughts are with you man . I hope you can salvage most of it. Mike has some good advise.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks guys. I'll post the results. Some of my stuff is older and might not be worth the trouble but my little Hillberg and my newer pack I'd sure like to save. I've got a garage full of tools and a whole lot of other things to cover off plus the sediment that apparently is left behind on things. Just have to tuck in an get it done. Meanwhile the wait continues.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

My heart truly goes out to you and your family, and to everyone else affected by this tragedy!!
Hope things get back to normal for you all as soon as possible, if possible
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trevbo

I've never washed down jackets or sleeping bags before but it might be viable to wash/dry as per normal instructions. I think it's pretty much wash down with a mild detergent/on a gentle cycle then air dry. Good luck with the clean up.
I would recommend drying your down bag in a front load dryer on the lowest setting. As Mike said, a tennis ball will help break up clumps. If you try to dry it in the sun it will take ages to dry, and by that time it will be very moldy.

I used Nikwax Down Wash and Down Proof and the end result was a bag that was significantly "fluffier" than when I started.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Our thoughts are with you, Clayton. Watching your video clip the other day was pretty sobering.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sodbuster, let me know if you need some help cleaning up, shoveling the muck out of the basement or cleaning off your tools. I figure it's a little wet before the roads can be built again and I'll have some time to help.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page