High River gear flood - updates / comments - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Ok, I couldn't resist. I found a place for all the camping stuff you can't salvage:

(Strangely, I drove by this sign two weeks ago on the way through Strome and flipped around on the highway to get a picture of it. Was waiting for the right time to drop it on you, but now I find it eerily prophetic.)

If we can be of service at some point also, please don't hesitate to put a call out. I'm sure you could have a big CT contingent show up for a work bee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dav1481

If we can be of service at some point also, please don't hesitate to put a call out. I'm sure you could have a big CT contingent show up for a work bee.
Absolutely.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Offers and such much appreciated, still in a holding pattern. My hope right now is that the water did not reach my main level with kitchen etc. When we left water was entering the lower level only three steps below the kitchen (tv room, my home office) so I'm not hopeful, but I'll be elated if the kitchen stayed dry.

Love that sign Dav. Probably some stuff in that museum we could put to use.

Comparatively we are still well off compared to others. This won't significantly affect my job and a good percentage of what was destroyed is not all that important in the grand scheme of things. I have a good network plus my adult boys who can help - there are many others - elderly etc - who do not, so once things get sorted with utilities etc and they let us back in I'm sure there will be opportunities to help. I guess this thread is as good a place as any to keep CT up to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Headed for the Mountains

City of Calgary has posted a useful PDF for those who may have been flooded:

http://www.cocnmp.com/eoc/ArrivingHome2.pdf
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Still can't get into High River to assess the damages. All the softgoods (tents, bags etc) of my gear is looking more and more like it might have to be written off as by now anything clear of the water should be getting ripe and moldy. That all remains to be seen.

BUT

Need another reason to shop at MEC? Had a brain wave that they could provide me with my purchase history to perhaps help with inventory and maybe a claim (no idea yet if any of this will be insured) and sure enough they can. Working with a fellow in the Van office to generate that for me. Not perfect, some things just show up as reference numbers, but it should help to establish more major items.

Incidentally, Campers Village is also going to do the same but that is a much lesser number of items. A couple Osprey packs I think will be the only major items from there.

You know how you always mean to lay everything out and take photos and inventory 'just in case'...
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Scaling New Heights

That's rough. Hope they get the water pumped down soon. Hang in there!
post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Sure hope all the damage is not as bad as you fear; and hopefully insurance covers as much as possible of everything.

K
post #23 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

First day back at work after this epic. Perhaps at some point I'll write up the whole story (in short I had +-5' of water in the basement, +-3.5' in my garage, and the entire property is covered in a 2-6" layer of nasty silt)

Outdoor gear that was deemed salvageable is at a couple different friend and family members homes and word is it is going well. I am covered for sewer backup for damages to the basement level which was where the gear was stored. Some things just never turned up, there was foot of liquid mud and most things ended up swimming in that stew.

Shout out to Darren Bell and Wieste Bylsma who each gave me a day of their time to help with cleanup / remediation. The outpouring of human power and kindness throughout this ordeal has truly been amazing. Thanks guys!
post #24 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Pleasure was all mine Clayton. I'll be waiting for that phone call or e-mail when you are ready to do dry wall and painting.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Glad to hear you're covered for at least some of it..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page