MEC's new logo - Page 8 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver, bc, Canada.
Posts: 1,099
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bearbreeder

you know you can just call ahead and ask em like a poster suggested ... that would save you the trip and getting mad
That saves making the trip. That doesn't fix the fact that they run out of stuff all the time.
There are several products that sell out each year before the season they're intended for even starts - and yet after multiple years of this, they still don't order more next time.
Black Diamond "skin wax" (the purple stuff). MEC was completely sold out of it in... February!

So I had to buy online from the USA, shame.
splitboarder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Andorra.
Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing
Posts: 4,439
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by icevixen

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kcountry

Johngenx, it happened with us this weekend too. Our backcountry tent gave out so I went by MEC on the way into town to learn that MSR Hubba Hubba is completely out of stock and they aren't more coming. Its available at another retailer for the same price MEC was charging so we'll buy it there tomorrow.
FYI, MSR Hubba series tents are being recalled, so no one should be selling them.
In that case, maybe they were missing the information on why they are not selling them.

"The tents could easily catch fire if exposed to a continuous flame or other ignition source and cause severe burns to consumers."
Heh. I would probably not bother to return my tent for recall. I kind of assume that things will catch fire if exposed to a continuous flame, and don't apply fire to things I don't want on fire..
Rachelo is offline  
post #108 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: , , .
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
quote:
That saves making the trip. That doesn't fix the fact that they run out of stuff all the time.
There are several products that sell out each year before the season they're intended for even starts - and yet after multiple years of this, they still don't order more next time.
and i tell valhalla in squamish the same thing ... how can they NOT have chalk???? ... but i dont go whining about it online (until now [])

EVERY store has its issues ... i dont blame escape route, climb on, lacordee or other places when i dont see stuff ... there ALWAYS somewhere else to get it from ... and theres enough stores in van for it


Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy
Your point makes sense if you apply it to any other retailer. But MEC is a co-op which means that you and I and kcountry are all owners and the purpose of the co-op is to serve our needs. If we feel that the co-op is no longer serving the needs of the members then we have every right to be frustrated with the people that are paid to lead the co-op.

And because it is our co-op, we aren't limited to making our dissatisfaction known by taking our dollars elsewhere. We can also run for the board, vote in the election and bring forward special resolutions.
the go vote and run ...

or hand in yr membership and get paid out for your shares

all the CT whining wont make any difference ... basically weve got CTers who say they almost never shop at MEC moaning about how MEC doesnt stock stuff

i buy quite a bit of my climbing gear from MEC, and usually stop by at least the north van store on the way to squamish several times a month ...

i probably hit the van store every 2 months ...

and i can tell you that ive found MORE of the stuff i usually buy in stock even in the middle of climbing season

judging by the traffic at the vancouver MEC last weekend, when i went and bought the latest edition of Banff Rock, plenty of people shop there just fine

i mean im a fan for bashing MEC for being yuppified and all ... but ive had absolutely no problem finding the gear i need ...

at the end of the day DO SOMETHING about it ... rather than being a slacktavist on CT

bearbreeder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #109 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Off the Beaten Path
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada.
Interest: Good times wherever they may be!
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by icevixen

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kcountry

Johngenx, it happened with us this weekend too. Our backcountry tent gave out so I went by MEC on the way into town to learn that MSR Hubba Hubba is completely out of stock and they aren't more coming. Its available at another retailer for the same price MEC was charging so we'll buy it there tomorrow.
FYI, MSR Hubba series tents are being recalled, so no one should be selling them.

"Health Canada (the Canadian governmental department charged with ensuring Canada's national public health) has identified MSR Hubba model tents as being non-compliant with Canada's Hazardous Products (Tent) Regulations (SOR/90-245). While MSR Hubba tent products are compliant with the stringent and widely accepted CPAI-84 flammability test method (the method used in the U.S.), Health Canada has found the products non-compliant with the recently updated Canadian F-16 test method for flammability."

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/re...34775r-eng.php
Thanks for this Icevixon. Would have been nice to have been told this while in the store when asking when more will arrive, but according to some we shouldn't complain about MEC.
kcountry is offline  
post #110 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Off the Beaten Path
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada.
Interest: Good times wherever they may be!
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kcountry

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bearbreeder

Quote:
quote:
That saves making the trip. That doesn't fix the fact that they run out of stuff all the time.
There are several products that sell out each year before the season they're intended for even starts - and yet after multiple years of this, they still don't order more next time.
and i tell valhalla in squamish the same thing ... how can they NOT have chalk???? ... but i dont go whining about it online (until now [])

EVERY store has its issues ... i dont blame escape route, climb on, lacordee or other places when i dont see stuff ... there ALWAYS somewhere else to get it from ... and theres enough stores in van for it


Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy
Your point makes sense if you apply it to any other retailer. But MEC is a co-op which means that you and I and kcountry are all owners and the purpose of the co-op is to serve our needs. If we feel that the co-op is no longer serving the needs of the members then we have every right to be frustrated with the people that are paid to lead the co-op.

And because it is our co-op, we aren't limited to making our dissatisfaction known by taking our dollars elsewhere. We can also run for the board, vote in the election and bring forward special resolutions.
the go vote and run ...

or hand in yr membership and get paid out for your shares

all the CT whining wont make any difference ... basically weve got CTers who say they almost never shop at MEC moaning about how MEC doesnt stock stuff

i buy quite a bit of my climbing gear from MEC, and usually stop by at least the north van store on the way to squamish several times a month ...

i probably hit the van store every 2 months ...

and i can tell you that ive found MORE of the stuff i usually buy in stock even in the middle of climbing season

judging by the traffic at the vancouver MEC last weekend, when i went and bought the latest edition of Banff Rock, plenty of people shop there just fine

i mean im a fan for bashing MEC for being yuppified and all ... but ive had absolutely no problem finding the gear i need ...

at the end of the day DO SOMETHING about it ... rather than being a slacktavist on CT

Perhaps everything that goes out of stock in our stores is stocked to suitable levels in your Vancouver store. Or perhaps we participate in different activities and the stocking levels are different and maybe don't accurately reflect purchasing levels? You act like because what you typically buy is in stock there can't possibly be an issue with the stuff you don't buy.

Who's huffing and puffing on the internet? Surely not me or the others who are sharing similar experiences and fostering some discussion. Maybe its you vehimately defending MEC because you don't have the same experiences. I end up buying my gear elsewhere and when I do return to MEC I often encounter the same problem. Expecting summer use gear to be in stock when its the middle of the season is highly reasonable.

I can't determine from your posts if you are being serious or simply trying to troll.

kcountry is offline  
post #111 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: , , .
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kcountry
Perhaps everything that goes out of stock in our stores is stocked to suitable levels in your Vancouver store. Or perhaps we participate in different activities and the stocking levels are different and maybe don't accurately reflect purchasing levels? You act like because what you typically buy is in stock there can't possibly be an issue with the stuff you don't buy.

Who's huffing and puffing on the internet? Surely not me or the others who are sharing similar experiences and fostering some discussion. Maybe its you vehimately defending MEC because you don't have the same experiences. I end up buying my gear elsewhere and when I do return to MEC I often encounter the same problem. Expecting summer use gear to be in stock when its the middle of the season is highly reasonable.

I can't determine from your posts if you are being serious or simply trying to troll.

so let me get this straight

you bashed MEC online for not selling a RECALLED tent due to fire risk ..

some other retailer who is willing to sell you a RECALLED tent ... and yr happy

why dont you complain about the other retailer willing to sell you a RECALLED good ... which BTW is illegal ...

unless you think that product safety and following canadian law is less important than a few things you believe is out of stock in your location



Products that have been recalled

It is considered responsible business practice to ensure that unsafe consumer products are removed from the marketplace in an effective and timely manner. As a result, Health Canada anticipates that most recalls will occur at the initiative of the responsible supplier who will voluntarily plan and implement the details of the recall.

The Minister of Health (Health Canada) has authority under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act to order a person who manufactures, imports into Canada or sells a consumer product for commercial purposes to recall the product if Health Canada believes on reasonable grounds that the product is a "danger to human health or safety". Health Canada also has the authority to carry out a recall order if a supplier fails to do so, at the supplier's expense.

If you are a manufacturer or importer, you are not allowed to manufacture, import into Canada, advertise or sell a consumer product that is the subject of a recall order or that has been voluntarily recalled because it is a danger to human health or safety.

No one is allowed to advertise or sell a consumer product that they know is the subject of a recall order or that has been voluntarily recalled because it is a danger to human health or safety.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/...ex-eng.php#a34




did you vote in the MEC election ??? are you running??? if you are unhappy you can cash in you membership shares and get some money back to spend on recalled gear ....

bearbreeder is offline  
post #112 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Interest: Hiking, diving, snowshoeing, kayaking
Posts: 324
Default

My my. People's yoga pants are getting twisted it appears.

The logo chnage is merely symbolic of the co-op going in a new direction.

The Board has taken control of the co-op from the memebrship it appears (rather slickly I might add) and it will take a good fight to get it back.

In the end, the consumer and his or her dollar will speak. The new MEC will survive and there will be enough alterantives around to get the gear one wants.

This thread should be read in conjunction with the one on MEC elections and How do you buy your gear.

Have fun in the wild where ever you shop.

Happy Trails
Bluefoot is offline  
post #113 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Interest: Hiking, diving, snowshoeing, kayaking
Posts: 324
Default

Oops! Sorry about the typos in the last post - hit the wrong button!
Bluefoot is offline  
post #114 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Scaling New Heights
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 68
Default

oh man… it's just too hard to resist adding one more opinion to the mix, though i'll admit it is no less biased than any of those expressed above!

This thread has clearly become a soap-box for people to express their disappointment of all-things MEC related, and the new logo seems to have pulled the pin on a grenade of changed-based anxiety that has probably been building since whenever whomever is grieving signed up for their MEC membership to begin with. I guess i'll jump on the soap box for a minute...

MEC is not a perfect retailer (yes you can be a retailer AND a co-op), and like all imperfect retailers they struggle with things like assortment, inventory planning, seasonal change, etc etc etc. They assort the store differently at different times of the year based on what you, the co-op member, has indicated you want year-in year-out through your consumer habits (yes, you are a consumer!). If members showed consistently through the years that they're going to buy full-priced ski gear in February, then they would plan their inventory to serve the members in that way. But as a co-op who is trying to protect the best interests of their members, they know that no-one will be happy when they show a net loss on a bunch of excess ski equipment they need to sell off below cost because people weren't shelling-out at the end of the season… As members, we want them to be safe with their inventory - that's what allows them to keep the doors open (and in fact open new doors).

The subtleties of inventory management should not be underestimated: One week of abnormal weather (good or bad) can greatly swing sales in a category, and can contribute to low stock on this or that.

In response to some asinine comments above, here are a couple things i believe to be true:

- As a climber, MEC carries the largest assortment of gear around.
- As a skier, MEC carries the largest assortment of backcountry equipment around.
- MEC's hiking/trail/mountain footwear selection is on par with the largest around
- For all the completely ignorant goofs who somehow are under the impression that REI is a more authentic outdoor supplier than MEC… you HAVE to be kidding me!!!!!!

I've more-or less grown-up on MEC. My father still has catalogues at his place that date back to the late 70's or early 80's. All of my first outdoor gear came from there. Since sometime around 1990, my dad's been complaining about the demise of MEC, yet somehow they're still around providing a broader assortment in all the categories i like to participate in than anyone else. Point is, while it appears MEC has decided they need to broaden their reach to keep their core strong it doesn't mean they are going to stop carrying what you want to buy. It also doesn't mean you'll be able to find skin-wax in late February, but hey, the Save-on-foods near my house doesn't have Egg Nog in July or Pumkins in December either (ok ok, skin wax is probably more in-season in feb than my two examples…they should probably stock skin wax..).

Finally, the amount of self-righteousness and grossly hypocritical consumer behaviour expressed in this and other CT threads is ridiculous. The same people who complain are those who won't hesitate to nickel and dime MEC and mom and pop independents, with threats to take their consumer dollar south of the boarder through online shopping or driving to seattle to save $5. Also the same people who gloat when they abuse MEC's member guaranty by taking back 7 year old hiking boots because a stitch popped. What an entitled bunch we are.

If you care about local independent retailer, let your dollars talk and shop there. If you care about your co-op then let them know when you can't find what you want (they do track these requests) but direct your money there. If you care about yourself and your end-needs only, then shop around and go for the best deal out there (online or wherever) but at least own up to the fact that you're just another selfish consumer - not special in the least….

JS






jstod is offline  
post #115 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.
Posts: 3,783
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jstod
Finally, the amount of self-righteousness and grossly hypocritical consumer behaviour expressed in this and other CT threads is ridiculous. The same people who complain are those who won't hesitate to nickel and dime MEC and mom and pop independents, with threats to take their consumer dollar south of the boarder through online shopping or driving to seattle to save $5. Also the same people who gloat when they abuse MEC's member guaranty by taking back 7 year old hiking boots because a stitch popped. What an entitled bunch we are.

If you care about local independent retailer, let your dollars talk and shop there. If you care about your co-op then let them know when you can't find what you want (they do track these requests) but direct your money there. If you care about yourself and your end-needs only, then shop around and go for the best deal out there (online or wherever) but at least own up to the fact that you're just another selfish consumer - not special in the least….

JS
I shop exclusively at MEC or our local indie store, Track N Trail. I still love the coop, and it's one of the reasons I'm so critical. I don't like Atmosphere, so I just don't shop there. Easy. But, I feel invested in the coop, so I don't want to vote with my dollars.

I do shop online from the US, but not with respect to outdoor gear. I bought my latest AT ski boots from the US, but only because I needed boots later in the season (January!) and there was none in my size in Canada.
johngenx is offline  
post #116 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Scaling New Heights
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
quote:I shop exclusively at MEC or our local indie store, Track N Trail. I still love the coop, and it's one of the reasons I'm so critical. I don't like Atmosphere, so I just don't shop there. Easy. But, I feel invested in the coop, so I don't want to vote with my dollars.
Totally fair and I think that attachment and feeling of investment are what stirs up so many emotions in this conversation. In the end, however, the issues that many are complaining about have very little to do with a fundamental change in philosophy at MEC and more to do with the overall challenges of running a large scale and successful retail operation (which is what we want our co-op to be isn't it? successful?). Stores like Track N Trail (great store!) face these same challenges on a smaller scale and are able to react quicker to missed-opportunites (perhaps one of the only advantages they enjoy in today's market)… ie if they see three people in one day who want "x" they can pickup the phone and order it. Operations the scale of MEC have less flexibility in that sense, but also have the ability to carry much broader assortments. If they're seriously missing the boat on something, they need to hear it (perhaps several times).

I do see MEC as a changing beast, and i'm not necessarily supportive of all the philosophy behind that change, but i'm continually impressed by how they'll continue to carry the niche items that very few retailers of their size ANYWHERE will carry.

JS
jstod is offline  
post #117 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: West Coast, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Anything Alpine related, running, computers, fly fishing, chatting.
Posts: 231
Default

On Friday, I was at MEC and I saw some products with the new square logo, particularly on their clothing - and, damn, the new logo makes the products look very depressing. I could only imagine people who weren't familiar with MEC would buy products with the new boring MEC logo.

The new MEC logo is the worst redesign in the history of human civilization.

That said, I will probably tell the world that I love the outdoors with Patagonia or The North Face logos.

I'm glad that I bought two Mountain Equipment Co-op 40th Anniversary klettersacks with the classic green and white patch logos. Brings back memories of my childhood...

If MEC doesn't change back to the old logo, they will lose a lot of money due to the backlash of millions of members who love the original mountain logo.

On another note, the clearance rack at the Broadway MEC store looks so messy and cheap. I am mad that MEC looks more like a Sport Chek with a Canadian Tire atmosphere right now.
Vertical_Trekker is offline  
post #118 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 01:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: , , .
Posts: 320
Default

i was at MEC friday as well picking up the new rogers pass alpine guide ...

the racks seemed fine .. in fact alot of the clearance items werent on special racks, but were spaced among the other clothes ...

people seemed to walk around and but their stuff just fine, there wasnt a crazy amount of traffic, but then we were there around closing time on a friday

i had a warranty issues resolved in a very satisfactory manner that day as well ... which is the main reason i buy from MEC

millions of people leaving over a logo???? ... wake up,they cant even be bothered to vote, they wont "leave" over a logo


bearbreeder is offline  
post #119 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Rock climbing, hiking, trail running, snowshoeing, etc.
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bearbreeder
millions of people leaving over a logo???? ... wake up,they cant even be bothered to vote, they wont "leave" over a logo
Oh how I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish you were wrong.

But I know that you are correct.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petition...o-the-box-logo

Barely 400 people have even signed the petition. 200,000 Signatures are required to force a Special General Meeting.
Summit Wind is offline  
post #120 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada.
Interest: Good times wherever they may be!
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bearbreeder

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kcountry
Perhaps everything that goes out of stock in our stores is stocked to suitable levels in your Vancouver store. Or perhaps we participate in different activities and the stocking levels are different and maybe don't accurately reflect purchasing levels? You act like because what you typically buy is in stock there can't possibly be an issue with the stuff you don't buy.

Who's huffing and puffing on the internet? Surely not me or the others who are sharing similar experiences and fostering some discussion. Maybe its you vehimately defending MEC because you don't have the same experiences. I end up buying my gear elsewhere and when I do return to MEC I often encounter the same problem. Expecting summer use gear to be in stock when its the middle of the season is highly reasonable.

I can't determine from your posts if you are being serious or simply trying to troll.

so let me get this straight

you bashed MEC online for not selling a RECALLED tent due to fire risk ..

some other retailer who is willing to sell you a RECALLED tent ... and yr happy

why dont you complain about the other retailer willing to sell you a RECALLED good ... which BTW is illegal ...

unless you think that product safety and following canadian law is less important than a few things you believe is out of stock in your location



Products that have been recalled

It is considered responsible business practice to ensure that unsafe consumer products are removed from the marketplace in an effective and timely manner. As a result, Health Canada anticipates that most recalls will occur at the initiative of the responsible supplier who will voluntarily plan and implement the details of the recall.

The Minister of Health (Health Canada) has authority under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act to order a person who manufactures, imports into Canada or sells a consumer product for commercial purposes to recall the product if Health Canada believes on reasonable grounds that the product is a "danger to human health or safety". Health Canada also has the authority to carry out a recall order if a supplier fails to do so, at the supplier's expense.

If you are a manufacturer or importer, you are not allowed to manufacture, import into Canada, advertise or sell a consumer product that is the subject of a recall order or that has been voluntarily recalled because it is a danger to human health or safety.

No one is allowed to advertise or sell a consumer product that they know is the subject of a recall order or that has been voluntarily recalled because it is a danger to human health or safety.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/...ex-eng.php#a34




did you vote in the MEC election ??? are you running??? if you are unhappy you can cash in you membership shares and get some money back to spend on recalled gear ....

I commented that once again I went to Mec and they did not have in stock what I was needing. Did you miss the part where I stated that the instore staff told me that it was not in stock and they she didn't know when it would be in stock? She didn't mention that there was a recall, but let me guess, you think that as a consumer I should be on top of every recall? And again, as I already posted, when I located it at another store I was unaware there was a recall. So, no you "did not get is straight". As for what the other retailer was doing I can't say. I didn't buy it there but I did challenge them on whether they were really still selling the tent. The response was the good ole song and dance. Am I happy? Nope. We are without a backpacking tent, we can't get the one I want in Canada, and we not that enamoured (yet) with the other choices.

Whether you agree wait or not, and regardless of how many times you post about visiting the Vancouver store and they have everything you want, I stand by my original post that
A) I don't care that the logo was changed;
B) I don't care that the name was changed;
C) I don't care too much if they sell more "urban" wear and goods, and;
D) I do care that at the store I shop for what I want to buy, I have experienced a pattern of "no stock" during the season the item applies too.

I'm really unclear why you are having such a hard time comprehending that someone in a different location, potentially shopping for different stuff could have a different experience than you? Perhaps you are shopping for energy bars, shoelaces and socks during your bi-weekly trips to your MEC while at a completely different store I've tried to buy completely different products, or visa versa. Are you going to keep trying to prove that is not possible with weekly postings of your visits?

I could continue to debate my point with you, going so far as to point out exactly which parts of the store have shrunk over the years as other sections have grown, but I don't see the point. You are steadfast in your opinion that in your experience the vancouver store doesnt have an inventory problem. You are equally steadfast that my experience is not correct even though you neither shop at the same store I do, for the products I shop for and when I'm shopping for them. With that kind of logic you clearly have to be right so I will stop participating in this conversation.
kcountry is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1