ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Gotta Love Gear (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/)
-   -   REI now limiting returns to one year (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/45037-rei-now-limiting-returns-one-year.html)

piika 06-04-2013 01:29 PM

REI now limiting returns to one year

Steventy 06-04-2013 02:07 PM

I think that it's a prudent move. The current policy is being abused and that is hurting honest customers. At the same time, the current policy creates a liability that could be abused by a group that wanted to do financial harm to the co-op such as these guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NGVj...layer_embedded

I do wonder if this will only apply to gear sold from this date forward or if it will apply to all gear? When you bought a backpack 10 years ago, did you enter into a permanent contract with REI that you would be able to return it for an unlimited amount of time?

Gearhed 06-04-2013 02:09 PM

As a consumer I say - Booo!

As a business model, the return policy had to be at least problematic if not unsustainable. Obviously a return policy impacts differently for tooth picks, kayaks and clothing etc. So while some manufacturers have no tolerance for returns, others were encouraging it. The retailer and manufacturer haggle over the liability of loss and in the end the feds are the final purveyors of accounting policy which affects all. - well that's the short of it.

Steventy 06-04-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Gearhed

What about as a member?

Also, if this new policy means that they can lower prices for all consumers (since they aren't subsidizing the abusers anymore,) would you be more supportive?

Gearhed 06-04-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Steventy

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Gearhed

What about as a member?

Also, if this new policy means that they can lower prices for all consumers (since they aren't subsidizing the abusers anymore,) would you be more supportive?
Sorry, I do support the move. But I do think the move is to rationalize through sales with disparate manufacturers - predicated by the insane triage of pseudo malfunctioning gear and their resale.
I'm presenting the inner conflict of consumer vs a somewhat more rational me... being glib in a ha ha sort of way. The inner member in me (so to speak) is also conflicted - what's selfishly best for me, may not be best for the membership - oddly that works in the broad social context as well.

"lowering prices for all consumers" is a Keynesian mind fuck... requiring way too much beer to unravel and before which, you've fairly unraveled yourself.

mad owl woman 06-04-2013 05:38 PM

I've only got one piece of gear from REI (a sleeping bag) and I'm pretty happy with it, so am neutral on the return policy, but someone please give gearhed a ribbon or something for coining "Keynesian mind fuck" [:p]

dlofting 06-04-2013 07:33 PM

Not to upset the REI afficionadoes but why not shop at MEC

no quitting 06-04-2013 07:38 PM

MOW
Quote:

quote:I've only got one piece of gear from REI (a sleeping bag) and I'm pretty happy with it, so am neutral on the return policy, but someone please give gearhed a ribbon or something for coining "Keynesian mind fuck"

Bahahahahaha!!!! Agree!!! :D

Aqua Terra 06-04-2013 10:34 PM

yeah, that is a cool term. Gonna pour a lil shot for that one :D

Aqua Terra 06-04-2013 10:37 PM

there will [u]never</u> be one single outlet that will serve you 100% for years.

trick 06-04-2013 10:43 PM

As for why to shop at REI? They market different brands than MEC. Some brands, like Osprey have some really nice gear. They often have better prices if you can get stuff on sale, they have a much better dividends program, if you live in the Fraser Valley, Bellingham is just as close.

Aqua Terra 06-04-2013 10:50 PM

yes, just one more reason, different/better brands, pricing, whatever it maybe, hardly anyone ever shops at a single outlet and expects all their brands and warranty to be flawless.

Mauricio 06-07-2013 01:56 PM

This is only sensible. Note that the one year limit does not apply if the merchandise is defective. One year is plenty of time to figure out if something doesn't fit, or if you just don't like it.