NeoAir xTherm - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default NeoAir xTherm

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone own the Thermarest Neoair Xtherm?

Thoughts?

Considering getting it because the small pack size and 2.5inch thickness seems great.
I have the prolite plus but its not enough cushion for my hips and shoulders (side sleeper problems).

Questions:
1) Is it loud to sleep on (for sleeper, and tent-mates)?
2) does it justify its 200$ price tag.
3) how is it on snow, warm enough?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Summit Master

Own it, love it. Quieter than my XLite, worth the money, very insulating (although I haven't used it on snow yet).

-Ryan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Easily one of the best pieces of gear I have right now. Used on the Columbia Icefields last winter and on the Six Pass trip this winter. Night time temps ranging from -15C to -28C and I was warm and cozy every one of those nights. It's almost insane how something so light and compact can be so warm.

It's a true four season pad.

I'm not the only one that loves it...

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleepi...-NeoAir-Xtherm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm also a fan.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I actually checked out the NeoAir xTherm the other day for the first time and was put off slightly from the noise rubbing the material. Do you get used to it after a while, or is it noticeable when you're shifting around on it in the tent?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I noticed it a bit at first, now I don't care.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:06 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

I've used mine a bunch now. can't really comment on the cold. though have used it in the snow about 10 nights. worked fine. I don't notice any noise.

I threw the stupid inflater bag away after about 2 uses. it would take 10 mins to blow it up. now I just use my month. apparently it's bad. we'll see what happens in the long term.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Great piece of gear - I've owned one now since last spring. Got rid of my other mats - I had a couple other mats depending on conditions. Now I pretty much just use my xTherm and vary my sleeping bag. Very small/light/warm, don't worry about the noise it sort of does "crinkle" somewhat but I don't notice and my partner who is noise sensitive - she hasn't mentioned it before.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Own it and love it like others have said.

I'm a side sleeper and it works perfectly. Never feel the cold coming through it even in the middle of winter in a snow pit.

Never noticed the crinkling but then I do use a mummy bag which covers my ears. I know the crinkling did bug a hut-mate in the past, but then so was the various other people snoring, getting up to pee, coughing... etc. Hut life, get used to it, bring ear plugs, lol.

I do feel the need to baby it though. I wouldn't just throw it down on some rocks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I use to use an Exped 7 matt in winter and a 3/4 length Guidelite for summer. I've been using the Xtherm for a year now and it's what I'll use year round. It feels as warm as the Exped on snow, but has some condensation problems on the underside. That could likely be remedied by using a 1/4 inch thick evasote pad underneath in winter. For summer, the Xtherm weighs less and packs smaller than my Guidelite pad, so it's my year round matt.

I read in one of the MEC reviews, that one person noticed the silver reflective layer inside was disappearing. Sure enough, mine is too. Does anybody have the same problem? Hold up your matt to the light and see if you can see through. If so, you have the problem too. Is it a problem and does it effect the R value? I'm going to write MEC and Thermarest about it and will report back what they say.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I contacted both MEC and Thermarest about the flaking reflective layer. MEC said they would replace it, which is what I expected them to say.

Thermarest said that the flaking layer wasn't a problem, as it didn't do much for the R-value. ??? I wrote back and asked,

"If the reflective coating doesn't contribute all that much to the R-value, what makes this pad have such a high R-value in the first place? After all, without the reflective coating, it's only an air mattress, without even any foam for insulation. Can you explain the high R-value?"

They replied and explained that the pad has two layers of triangular (in cross section) baffles, the lower layer against the ground keeps the cold circulated there and the upper layer circulates the warm body heat back up.

If you know your insulation theory... The pink insulation in your houses wall is only there to stop the movement of air, mostly from moving up & down, losing heat through convection. The Neoair Xtherm seems to work a bit on this same principle.

OK armchair engineers, let's hear your thoughts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page