Why one should not purchase from Campers Village - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I always kinda wondered how Campers Village stays open... judging from this thread there actually ARE people who still shop there. I have zero idea why?

MEC has a SIGNIFICANTLY better guarantee, they have excellent-value in-house branded gear, FAR more knowledgable employees (this isn't to say they are all geniuses. but WAY better than campers village), they give WAY more back to the community, they carry better gear, VERY rarely will you find anything cheaper at Campers Village, usually it's more expensive... on and on. I mean, at the core, Camper's Village has to make at least 10% more money as it isn't a not-for-profit like MEC is. That alone means you're spending more or getting less value.

I guess it's good to have competition, but I've never once had a good experience at Campers Village.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

MEC increasingly is not selling the brands that I want to buy. Camper's Village isn't the only option, as it seems most things MEC doesn't sell are at all of the non-MEC places (CV, Atmostphere, and Out There), but they are one satisfactory option for that.
I prefer Osprey Packs - MEC doesn't sell them. I bought my last one at CV, and was happy. I also bought a great MHW pack for city use at CV. Also not available at MEC. MEC doesn't carry MHW clothing, which fits me the best.
MEC doesn't carry Sea to Summit, who make many great products I have purchased.

On an identical good that is available at MEC, I'll buy it at MEC. But there's more than enough MEC doesn't sell to comfortably support other stores.

As for staff, I no longer find MEC's to be any more knowledgeable than the other places. There are a couple great MEC staff, but the average salesperson is now just an enthusiastic young salesperson, just like everyone else.
I disagree that they carry better gear. CV used to be strictly bottom-end and luxury car camping, but that's not the case any more (though the luxury car camping no doubt still attracts that crowd as the best place for it). MEC carries quality entry-level stuff, under the MEC brand, one single high-end brand, Patagonia, and a couple selections of mid-level stuff. Camper's Village carries an entirely different selection of brands, mostly falling in between MEC's two ends, with the major lifestyle brands (and not just cotton like 80% of MEC's lifestyle), and some mid-high stuff - Marmot, MHW, etc.
The gear selection is different, and some of it is not as good as the gear at MEC, but some of it is as good and better.
BCSteel likes this.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteWanderer View Post

Really, the retailer isn't directly responsible, they are only trying to manage the situation to everyone's benefit without taking too much financial risk. You could always have dealt with the manufacturer directly.
You may want to re-read my original post. I called them first given the filter was a week old. Had they told me to contact Katadyn first, I would have but they said that all warranties were handled by them as the first line. Hence the warranty card. Following protocol and all that.

If you buy something that is potentially faulty from the manufacturer that is a week old, would you not return it to where you purchased it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, diving, snowshoeing, kayaking
Angry May it come back to haunt them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
REI's refund policy is stirring up some debate south of the border:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NGVjR4o2RU
This sort of thing drives me crazy. People taking advantage of a good return policy. I sure hope the companies that have the "no questions asked" return policy can at least track the repeat abusers through their membership numbers. Alas, though, no system is fool proof, as these fools are so ingenious. And boosting about being dishonest on you tube takes the cake. I sure hope "poetic justice" will take care of them at some point. Happy Trails.
dougz likes this.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I recently had to abuse MEC's return policy by returning a perfectly good paddle to MEC for full credit. After three years use, the little clip that joins the halves broke, I went there to buy a new one (the clip, not the paddle) and they don't have it, can't (really just won't) get it, don't care, more than happy to throw a perfectly good paddle away (Hello? What about their commitment to sustainability http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary...ainability.jsp ) and refund my full purchase price. (Hello? What about their commitment to affordable gear? I've had the paddle about three years, why should other members be paying more so it can be thrown away?)
When I bought the paddle I was told the clip is readily available because they do break occasionally in cold weather. To me "readily available" means they have it at the store during paddling season!

Absolutely ridiculous, yet three different staffers suggested I just return it, so that's what I did. I no longer feel any loyalty at all to MEC. I do apologize to the planet, but I feel rather forced into this. Utter fail IMHO, the solution did not meet their principles on sustainability, sound business practices, keeping prices low for members and satisfying the member. I'm not at all pleased by this!
post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Expecting MEC to have any sort of such little useful thing in season is an exercise in disappointment.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Summit Master

Camper's Village has a convenient location on the way out of town, MEC not so much.

post #38 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker Boy View Post
Camper's Village has a convenient location on the way out of town, MEC not so much.
In Calgary? I would have considered them both different forms of central here.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Summit Master

My bad, thought you were talking about Edmonton.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it wasn't specified. And I didn't know what you might be referring to.

So that might be a good reason in Edmonton, though not in Calgary.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page