Digital Cameras 2004 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Default Digital Cameras 2004

The annual Photo Marketing Association trade show is the largest photographic equipment show in the United States. Their camera experts report from the floor in Las Vegas

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-5119531-1.html

Loads of new product announcements and reviews

Enjoy

--David

----------------------------------------
"We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us."
-Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, hiking/camping, being eccentric,

[] drool drool []

Aww well, my keyboard needed cleaning anyway...

"Don't worry about anything; and you'll be ready for it." -Vidura
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I was all settled on getting an Olympus Stylus 400. Now I see they have an Olympus Stylus 410 plus a bunch of other cool digitals (8 megapixel monsters!)

Thanks for the thread.

Just be happy...dammit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Scaling New Heights

classic newbie mistake carmen - do not get sucked into a big megapixel camera - most of the consumer lenses are not big enough to actually capture 6 or 8 megapixel effectively. you will not see any improvement over 4mp until the lenses are over 50mm. even the very excellent canon s50 (5mp) does not as good photos as the canon s45 (4mp).

ps...the Olympus Stylus 410 came out march of 2003...almost a year old now...
quote: "i have not failed; i have only found 54 ways that won't work"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 07:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: cycling, hiking (snowshoeing in Winter), skiing, cooking, gardening,photography, etc. etc. and motorcycling, too

This is a good a place as any to ask for opinions. I would like to get a digital camera, but not overly expensive. There are lots around the $200. range with 3.2 mp and zoom, but they seem overly complex.
I was looking at a Canon 300, but it has way too much stuff and apparently is a battery hog.

I know that most of you have digital cameras, so this is a good place to seek info.
Is your camera simple to use? Does it eat batteries or is it rechargable?. etc.

Thanks for the input.

I did try to look at the review page, but it wouldn't open.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 08:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

I am finally in the market for a digital as well and so far I have found that you have to ask for all the gadgets needed to make the thing work. The batteries have to be replaced with lithium isotope rechargeables and the memory has to replaced with this little card which will only jack up the price by 160.00 and it may or may not come with a usb connection and software. I find this a tad bit annoying. Can anyone point moi in the direction of a store of 4mp with 5-10x optical zoom ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Summit Master

a VERY good source of information is:

www.dpreview.com

another good source of information is asking people whose pictures you like.

cheers - C Wall

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: cycling, hiking (snowshoeing in Winter), skiing, cooking, gardening,photography, etc. etc. and motorcycling, too

Thanks for the link. I took a quick look. I will take a more in depth look when I come back from Manning Park. I'm going for a couple of days, staying in the lodge, and will get in a couple of hikes.
I will use my trusty 35mm with film.
I hope to capture some fall scenes while enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Summit Master

Thanks for the Link David.
Cool new toys !!!!

"No Trail is Long with Good Company"

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Carm.I've got the Olympus Stylus 410-bought it in April.So far ,it's a great cameraThere are so many great cameras ,though,it is hard to choose.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: -Canoe tripping -Camping -Barbecue\'s -Hanging out with the pooch

Ill throw in my 2 cents here as well.

Last year I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and I love it. It has full manual control (shutter, apperture priority etc), as well as numerous "point and shoot" modes (scene modes).

It functions well as a simple point and shoot but offers much more to those who wish to be a bit more creative.

I origionally bought the Coolpix 4300 and it was nice, but I found I got totally addicted to digital photography and wanted more creative capabilities. So I exchanged for the 4300.

The prices have dropped on them quite a bit. I payed about $700.00 for mine last year so Im sure it is well below that now.

My Camping Pics: (updated every few weeks): http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/
My Gear Reviews (in progress): http://home.cogeco.ca/~gear-test/index.html
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 12:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Thanks for the website ,seawallrunner. The only camera that fit my preconceived notion will cost me about 4400.00 us$. To afford my wants I may have to pick something cheaper from London drugs or sell some of my extreme risk stocks .
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Summit Master

Last year in August I bought myself a Canon PowerShot S400 (also known as the IXUS). It's an UltraCompact camera, 4MPx and 3x optical zoom, smaller and lighter than a disposable camera.

I purchased it because I love taking pictures outdoors, and I was getting tired of buying disposable after disposable, and paying development charges that were adding up. I also didn't want the 'bulk' of a larger camera.

The camera is mostly automatic, and the range of 'manual' functions is limited. It does a fairly good macro, and takes fairly good landscape shots.

At first, the manual controls were a bit intimidating, but the learning curve was swift. There was also an image processing learning curve - Canon has a nice little program to do some basic digital photo enhancements (brightness, contrast, cropping), but I also own a license for Photoshop 6.0. Enhancing pictures with Photoshop is an ongoing learning curve. You can do so much (for example: grey sky? switch in a blue one! ...that kind of thing)

So, fast forward about four months, and I wanted more from my camera. I wish I could control aperture, and shutter speed. I wish I had a larger sensor. I have a list of things that I would like in my next camera.

I love the little camera. It is very portable. I bring it with me almost everywhere. I've taken some great shots with it. I've experimented and played with it - made some nice stop-motion films with it.

Since buying the camera, I've read many books about photography, and bought some magazines about digital photography. I'm carefully selecting my next camera, which will be a dSLR. In the meantime, I'm shooting more pictures with the S400. So far, I've kept over 13,000 pictures that I've taken with it.

What I learned in the last year:

1. there are two learning curves. One for the camera, the other for digital processing. Canon has great software, but ACDSee and Photoshop have good tools too (but I had to learn them).

2. At first I wanted a camera that is as simple as possible. But in choosing an ultra compact, I limited the range of pictures that I can take. Now I wish I had picked a camera that has a larger sensor and fully manual controls (shutter, aperture and full manual).

3. I've often read the following advice: "the best camera for me is the one that I will keep using". And, "learn all the features of the camera by heart, so that taking the picture is almost instinctive (rather than futzing with the controls)". "Read and re-read the owner's manual often".

I didn't expect to be looking for another camera so soon, but I am. I will keep the little camera for some projects, but I look forward to getting back on another learning curve with a camera with more controls, and a larger sensor.

I hope to hear others' experiences with their first (or current) digital camera. What you like, what you wish you had, what you really wanted but found out you didn't need.

cheers - C Wall
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Last winter I bought a Canon A60 (2 megapixels) and a 256MB flash card. It has several shooting modes plus manual control. It uses 4 AA batteries. I never print pictures and 2mp gives me a 1600x1200 picture -- the same size as my monitor. If I'm posting or e-mailing pictures I reduce them anyway so I don't need more pixels. The first set of batteries lasted 400 pictures contrary to the idiot sales people who tell you the batteries will last 10 - 20 pictures.

One picture takes about 1MB (megabyte) so that's about 250 pictures per trip. I have friends with 4mp cameras and (interestingly) their pictures are about 1MB in size too. So the default picture quality is set lower and in the end the quality is about the same.

I don't like the long startup time (3 - 4 seconds) and the shutter lag (2 seconds). But that's common for all the small cameras.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 01:07 PM

I too am looking for a new digital camera. I want something that is lightweight, manually operated (as well as point and shoot), and intuitively user friendly. I have found these things in the Fuji E 510, or the Canon A75, two of my current considerations. The one I dream of however is this....
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...um7digital.asp

I am a big fan of Minolta and have been for the last 10 years. This camera allows me to continue to use my 300mm lens and all the accessories that I have purchased for my Minolta STsi. It is just hitting the market, but I have been dreaming of it for months. Ah.... to dream.......

------------------------------------------------- The tortoise knows the trail better than the hare ----------------------------------

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page